Exit visa for our child to leave China?

Sorry folks, now I have another question. Today we went to apply for our daughter to get an exit visa(or something like it) They took all the documents and told us to come get it in a week. Now, on our daughter's chinese birth cert. her US passport, and her consulate report of birth abroad, her name is in English (she has no chinese HuKou »§¿Ú£©But today they made us use a Chinese name for this exit visa. So how exactly will we go about this when we're leaving China from the airport in a few weeks? I assume we need to check in for our flight with her US passport, then we go though Chinese immigration with this exit visa...? and then once we arrive in the US we use her US passport to cross immigration there? Does anybody here know about this issue, because we're getting confused.

Sorry folks, now I have another question. Today we went to apply for our daughter to get an exit visa(or something like it) They took all the documents and told us to come get it in a week. Now, on our daughter's chinese birth cert. her US passport, and her consulate report of birth abroad, her name is in English (she has no chinese HuKou »§¿Ú£©But today they made us use a Chinese name for this exit visa. So how exactly will we go about this when we're leaving China from the airport in a few weeks? I assume we need to check in for our flight with her US passport, then we go though Chinese immigration with this exit visa...? and then once we arrive in the US we use her US passport to cross immigration there? Does anybody here know about this issue, because we're getting confused.

What do you mean by "Chinese name"? Is this a name which is different from that on the birth certificate or the passport? Is it a phonetic spelling in Chinese characters of her given name as on her birth certificate and/or passport? Isn't the exit visa stamped into her passport, or is it something that is stapled in?

If it's a separate document showing a name which is different from her birth certificate or the passport, it may cause problems, but, then again, we're talking about documents which are for the Chinese authorities anyway.

My guess is that it's a Chinese-character, phonetic spelling of the name (which they "required" because they didn't know how to enter the western characters) and that you'll be okay.

From my understanding the exit visa is a seperate document, not attached to her US passport. The Chinese name we used is Chen Ai ³Â°®, it's not in any way even close to a phonetic spelling of her English name. Even though Chen Ai is not a name used on any of her identity documents, they insited we give them a Chinese name. So I don't know how we're supposed go through Chinese immigration with this exit visa with one name and then her passport/birth certificate with another name?

From my understanding the exit visa is a seperate document, not attached to her US passport. The Chinese name we used is Chen Ai ³Â°®, it's not in any way even close to a phonetic spelling of her English name. Even though Chen Ai is not a name used on any of her identity documents, they insited we give them a Chinese name. So I don't know how we're supposed go through Chinese immigration with this exit visa with one name and then her passport/birth certificate with another name?

Wow! That would appear to be an incompetent Entry/Exit Bureau, who basically refused to issue the document in her correct name. You could always just try on your departure date, since you have gathered the necessary documents. But then you risk getting turned away at the last minute, so hopefully, your tickets can be changed if need be.

One more approach might me to go ahead and get her a Chinese passport, IF you can get the name to match the one they gave her.

I don't know if your consulate is nearby, but you might check with them as to what to do.

This is what GUZ has to say

However, if one parent of the child is a Chinese citizen and the child was born in China, the Chinese government may consider the child a Chinese citizen. In that case, the child will have to obtain a Chinese passport before leaving the country. The child will still be a U.S. citizen and should always use his/her U.S. passport for international travel after departing China. Please contact the exit and entry administration office of the local Public Security Bureau for more information.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/new_baby/birth_registration.html

1) You need a Chinese name (in Chinese Characters) for your daughter to put on the "exit document" (her photograph will be put on the document). It equals to her Chinese passport to prove her residence in China legally. At Chinese Custom, the document will be checked. My son entered China with Travel Document issued by Chinese Consulate in USA. His Chinese name is put on the Travel Document, together with his English name. I think your daughter’s exist document would include her English name as well.

2) Her name on flights should be her name in her US passport. We did when we came back and we booked return ticket as same.

3) Her exit document will be checked at Chinese Custom and her US passport will be checked at US Custom.

4) Chinese name does not have to a phonetic spelling of her English name. It totally depends on your like. It is not related with her birth crtificate (I assume her English name is on her birth certificate).

Edited by xiaozhu (see edit history)

1) You need a Chinese name (in Chinese Characters) for your daughter to put on the "exit document" (her photograph will be put on the document). It equals to her Chinese passport to prove her residence in China legally. At Chinese Custom, the document will be checked. My son entered China with Travel Document issued by Chinese Consulate in USA. His Chinese name is put on the Travel Document, together with his English name. I think your daughter¡¯s exist document would include her English name as well.

2) Her name on flights should be her name in her US passport. We did when we came back and we booked return ticket as same.

3) Her exit document will be checked at Chinese Custom and her US passport will be checked at US Custom.

4) Chinese name does not have to a phonetic spelling of her English name. It totally depends on your like. It is not related with her birth crtificate (I assume her English name is on her birth certificate).

Thanks for the info! When we applied for the exit document the only name we put on the application was her Chinese name, but all the copies we gave them (Chinese birth certificate, US passport) have her English name. So let's just hope they can figure it out and get it right. We already booked our flight for the 13th(we used he English name for her ticket), and if I get turned away by Chinese immigration at the airport I will be one super unhappy camper. Hey, I love China, but right now I'm ready to go home

Wow! That would appear to be an incompetent Entry/Exit Bureau, who basically refused to issue the document in her correct name. You could always just try on your departure date, since you have gathered the necessary documents. But then you risk getting turned away at the last minute, so hopefully, your tickets can be changed if need be.

One more approach might me to go ahead and get her a Chinese passport, IF you can get the name to match the one they gave her.

I don't know if your consulate is nearby, but you might check with them as to what to do.

This is what GUZ has to say

However, if one parent of the child is a Chinese citizen and the child was born in China, the Chinese government may consider the child a Chinese citizen. In that case, the child will have to obtain a Chinese passport before leaving the country. The child will still be a U.S. citizen and should always use his/her U.S. passport for international travel after departing China. Please contact the exit and entry administration office of the local Public Security Bureau for more information.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/new_baby/birth_registration.html

Incompetent government officials, no way, not in China

Thanks for the info! When we applied for the exit document the only name we put on the application was her Chinese name, but all the copies we gave them (Chinese birth certificate, US passport) have her English name. So let's just hope they can figure it out and get it right. We already booked our flight for the 13th(we used he English name for her ticket), and if I get turned away by Chinese immigration at the airport I will be one super unhappy camper. Hey, I love China, but right now I'm ready to go home

Does the exit document have her passport number? I think it should. Then her passport and exit document will be tied together. I have sent an inquiry letter to Beijing General Station of Exit and Entry Frontier Inspection regarding your concern. Hope to hear from them soon and then I will let you know.

P.S. Their phone number is 010-64563591

Edited by xiaozhu (see edit history)

Just got it today, luckily we booked our flight for the 13th and not the 10th as these were our 2 choices. They did say we could get it on the 7th but we knew they would blow it so we gave em a few extra days, and they barely pulled it off(Friday afternoon now). I was preparing to go postal on them They only have her Chinese name on the papers, no English name or US passport number but they insist it will work. Only way to find out is try, thanks for the help Xiaozhu!!