Owning multiple properties in China

Meelo

DW has at least 2 apartments in her name in her home town. Her Aunt has no children and has told my wife that she will be giving her 3 more places in the future. Not to mention her parents places too. We are looking into having DW become a US citizen in 3 years. I know that China does have strict strict rules about laowai owning houses.

How would DW becoming a USC affect her ownership of those places? Can we keep them and rent them out or should be liquidate them? We would like to keep one of her places for the future because we may end up back there someday.

DW has at least 2 apartments in her name in her home town. Her Aunt has no children and has told my wife that she will be giving her 3 more places in the future. Not to mention her parents places too. We are looking into having DW become a US citizen in 3 years. I know that China does have strict strict rules about laowai owning houses.

How would DW becoming a USC affect her ownership of those places? Can we keep them and rent them out or should be liquidate them? We would like to keep one of her places for the future because we may end up back there someday.

Legally as a US citizen she can only own 1, so she would have to liquidate them.

In practice, this might not be enforced.

There is a thread related to your questions.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/43172-property-titles-in-china/page__p__571628__fromsearch__1#entry571628

Generally speaking, because of property bubbles in China, China is tightening the property purchase and in a road to make laws about property tax through heritage. Hope your wife still her Hukou alive where her aunt lives. It will make things easy. But if you want the properties, you had better to get them before your wife becomes USC. Before China was loose on Hukou deletion when a Chinese become USC or other country’s citizen. Now it is totally different. A Chinese USC's Hukou has to be deleted. It will be checked at Chinese Custom when the new USC goes back to US. Foreigners can not purchase property in China unless you can prove your residence or working permission in China. The policy varies across the country. Inquire her local property authority.

Edited by xiaozhu (see edit history)