Multiple Visa entry disallowed for wife's first China visa as US c

Here is the text we received from the Visa service- "...REMARKS:

Not qualified for multiple entry visa. In order to apply for multiple entry

visa, you need to supply a photocopy of your previous Chinese visa and

entry/exit stamp issued in last 5 years, which you don't have. You may apply

for up to a double entry visa this time...."

Note: We did apply for a multiple entry 12 month visa. This has been denied.

Planning more than two trips in a year? I guess a double entry would do.

Dan, the surprise to us was that my wife, as a former China citizen, was automatically disallowed a multiple entry visa as a US Citizen even though she has multiple entry exit stamps, over the years, in her Chinese Passport. Granted, none were within 12 months.

Yes, a double entry visa will likely do. I have received multiple entry, 90 day stay, 12 month visas for years. Now, I wonder what will happen next time I apply because I never actually entered China multiple times on the same 12 month visa.

No problem, even though you're no longer married to a Chinese citizen. Tht will prevent you getting a two year visa.

The two entry limitation is a potential painthough, if you take any excursions to (and from ) hong Kong or any other border crossing.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Thanks Randy, I was just reviewing the pinned article on multiple 24 month visas. It is clear the poster stated he was married to a Chinese wife. For those of us whose wives are no longer Chinese Citizens here is what the Embassy says:

"6.About Multiple Visa:

¡øUS citizens may apply for a Single Entry (valid for 3-6 months), Double Entry (valid for 6 months), Multiple Entry (valid for 6 months or 12 months) "L" Visa as needed.

¡øA Chinese-American born in China (Taiwan, HongKong and Macau included)may apply for a Multiple Entry "L" Visa valid for 24 months.The photocopy of the personal information page of his/her passport is required to provide.

¡øForeign spouse and children of a Chinese citizen may apply for a Multiple Entry "L" Visa valid for 24 months.The original and photocopy of relevant Marriage Certificate,Birth Certificate, Kinship Certificate and other necessary documents are required to provide."

So, if that (24 month L visa) were the only criteria, tell your wife don't become a US Citizen.....

Back to the pain of a two entry limit. At least we only need suffer that one time. And, just now I note the double entry is only valid for 6 months. After the first visit the multiple entry 12 month visa should be available to her.

If your wife is still a Chinese citizen, you can also go to the PSB and get the visa extended so you don't have to make the border hop. I'm not sure that'll still work if she gives up her citizenship - check with the PSB.

Something got lost in the translation. We have the issue because my wife is now a USC and is no longer eligible for a multiple entry visa.... until she travels the first time, which is right now. BTW, her dual entry is good for 6 months and 90 days each time.

By the way, for those still debating dual citizenship-

My wife was required, as a China born person with a 'new' US Passport, to submit her current (as in still unexpired) Chinese Passport along with the 'new' US Passport as part of the application for the dual entry visa application.

Her original and unexpired Chinese Passport was returned...........with the front cover corner cut off and the Id Page stamped with Chinese Characters stating "this person is now a US Citizen."

Rhetorically then, would those dual citizen advocates care to explain how to travel on it? Oh, I get it, you'll recommend have your wive go to the PSB with her, presumably still valid, local ID, claim her passport was lost and request a new one???? good luck on that.

Something got lost in the translation. We have the issue because my wife is now a USC and is no longer eligible for a multiple entry visa.... until she travels the first time, which is right now. BTW, her dual entry is good for 6 months and 90 days each time.

By the way, for those still debating dual citizenship-

My wife was required, as a China born person with a 'new' US Passport, to submit her current (as in still unexpired) Chinese Passport along with the 'new' US Passport as part of the application for the dual entry visa application.

Her original and unexpired Chinese Passport was returned...........with the front cover corner cut off and the Id Page stamped with Chinese Characters stating "this person is now a US Citizen."

Rhetorically then, would those dual citizen advocates care to explain how to travel on it? Oh, I get it, you'll recommend have your wive go to the PSB with her, presumably still valid, local ID, claim her passport was lost and request a new one???? good luck on that.

Yes - dual citizenship is not recognized by the PRC. Once she loses it, she loses it. The PSB in her home town may or may not help with visa extension issues.

In any event, the Chinese passport is not very useful for traveling purposes (especially US travel) - voided or not.

Any idea what happened with her houkou?

No idea about the houkou. She is home now. I'll ask her if she wants to check into it.

I'd think the Chinese consulate would notify whoever maintains the houkou that the new US citizen is no longer a Chinese citizen. That, one would think, would eliminate their pension and medical insurance. Certainly something to consider before taking the citizenship test.

I'd think they would do that too. That's the logical thing, isn't it?

I called my wife today. She will not go to check. Why? If it is not changed, asking about it will cause it to change. I guess this is called "Don't rock the boat." Or, "Ignorance is bliss." Her opinion is that the local police bureau does not know about the change. But, no way to prove, or disprove it.

Bottom line is she doesn't have pension or medical. So, for her, it's irrelevant.

If it is not changed, asking about it will cause it to change.

Of course. I keep tripping over that 'special' logic.

Not sure if the national ID needs renewing from time to time, perhaps waiting to renew or replace it to see what happens.

If it is not changed, asking about it will cause it to change.

Of course. I keep tripping over that 'special' logic.

Not sure if the national ID needs renewing from time to time, perhaps waiting to renew or replace it to see what happens.

The Chinese ID card expires I believe every 10 years.

As for the Houku, remember there are two parts. The family page and the individual page. If it is important, it might be possible for a family member also on the the same Houku to check and determine if your wife is still listed.

The Chinese ID card expires I believe every 10 years.

My wife last renewed her ID in 2007. She said the new ID expires in 2027.