CR1 Visa - Do we have a chance?

I need advice about our situation and our chances to get my Chinese wife a visa through the CR1 process.

To make a long story short...

My wife and I met in Teda, Tianjin during one of my business trips back in Feb 2009. At the time, I was going through a divorce in the states which which lasted almost two years. My Chinese wife and I fell in love and decided we could not live without each other. We spoke daily through many means of communication (QQ, phone, SMS, email). We are closer than most couples in America because we could only talk when we were apart for months at a time. We went on two vacations together and spent time together through each of my 5 business trips from 2009 - 2011. We planned to get married then file for visa when I was officially divorced from my first wife. The divorce was bitter and my ex wanted everything. She even lied to police about me pushing her to get me arrested and kicked out of the house. The original "domestic battery" charge was changed to "attempt disorderly conduct" and I was placed on supervision for 6 months. The divorce finally ended on March 9, 2011 and the ex received sole custody of our 2 kids.

While the bitter divorce went on, my Chinese wife and I had been planned to marry in China once the nightmare was over. In addition to all the time my Chinese wife and I spent together, we spent 3 weeks at her parents during 2010 Christmas and New Years. Almost two months after my divorce, my Chinese wife and I married in China, had wedding celebration with family, friends, and co-workers. Now we are starting the CR1 visa process. We married for love not for immigration fraud. I never suspected my wife to marry me just to get out of China. She has very traditional parents and family and would be a disgrace to her family if she married, went to America, then divorced just to get a green card.

Our story might sound complicated but it true love and I need support through our process. Both of heart will be broken if we can not spend the rest of our lives together.

Please share your knowledge and experience and opinion about our situation. I really appreciate you time. Is the Guangzhou US consulate really that difficult to deny us a visa?

Respectfully,

Randy

I would say better than average, I would document in detail your divorce separation from your ex wife and and evolution of how you met and courted your current wife, detail your visits to China.

Provide this to USCIS in a detailed letter attached to your visa petition.

because there was a criminal " domestic battery " charge in the past , I definitely would retain a competent immigration attorney such as Marc Ellis and alike before filing any petition .

This record will certainly show up in the background check.

All the best for both of you . Most important of all, the two of you are living a happy life.

because there was a criminal " domestic battery " charge in the past , I definitely would retain a competent immigration attorney such as Marc Ellis and alike before filing any petition .

This record will certainly show up in the background check.

All the best for both of you . Most important of all, the two of you are living a happy life.

Yes that can come back to haunt you, I would have a consult with a good immigrations attorney about how to handle that.

Go with advices above.

Your married date and divorce date are too close, which clearly shows that the relationship started while you were married. Without a frontloaded detailed explanation documents, her visa will be with a red flag. Rather tell them earlier than late. Also tell your wife everything thus she can be well-prepared for questions at interview.

Edited by xiaozhu (see edit history)

For what it's worth, my divorce took as long as yours, and ChunMei and I were engaged for a year before the divorce was final. We front-loaded our K1 petition with all of the information, and had no problems because of my divorce situation.

For what it's worth, my divorce took as long as yours, and ChunMei and I were engaged for a year before the divorce was final. We front-loaded our K1 petition with all of the information, and had no problems because of my divorce situation.

Thanks for your time!! Thats good to hear. Congrats!

Nick,

Did you front load the info yourself or did you use a visa service? As you see in other's responses, they suggest I get help from an immigration attorney, since I have a minor criminal record and was married less than two months after my divorce ended. Based on your experience, do you feel it would help me to get help? At this point, Im not feeling so confident. Not confident and being so busy at work now, I cant afford to miss something in our petition or visa paperwork before my head is cloudy.

Thanks again!

Randy

Nick,

Did you front load the info yourself or did you use a visa service? As you see in other's responses, they suggest I get help from an immigration attorney, since I have a minor criminal record and was married less than two months after my divorce ended. Based on your experience, do you feel it would help me to get help? At this point, Im not feeling so confident. Not confident and being so busy at work now, I cant afford to miss something in our petition or visa paperwork before my head is cloudy.

Thanks again!

Randy

Sorry, should have mentioned that I used an immigration attorney here in Colorado. She's the one who recommended I put together a detailed timeline of my divorce and my relationship with ChunMei. She also knew ChunMei was aware of the details of my divorce from the beginning of our relationship. In the interview they asked ChunMei if she knew I was married previously, and she told them about my divorce in great detail. I think that might have helped.