Laowei Stops Military Car in GZ

My link

What an awesome guy! Stopping a military car violating the bus lane - and he's done it before!

I saw it at Yahoo China as well. Respect him very much. The traffic in China is horrible mainly because people do not follow driving rules. Monthes ago in Beijing, I saw a lady drove a big SUV, tried to enter a parking lot of a bank through the exit. The guard stopped her. She was mad, left her car there at the exit and went into the bank for her business. She blocked the traffic. I drove in US but I am afraid to drive in Beijing. Crazy!

By the way it should be "Laowai" not "Laowei".

I think he should mind his own business. It is the responsibility of the Chinese people to stand up to these military drivers. It's another example of foreigners sticking their nose into China's affairs.

I think he should mind his own business. It is the responsibility of the Chinese people to stand up to these military drivers. It's another example of foreigners sticking their nose into China's affairs.

Yes, he would seem to be WAY out of line. But what's interesting, Carl, is the comments from Chinese people

Chinese people have long lost the ability to control the things that happen in China.

. . .

Though his behavior is worth commending, seeing Westerners being able to do something when our own countrymen aren¡¯t able to is very saddening.

. . .

[but] what about us? Do we even dare let off a silent fart?

Being as young as he is and with all those books it looks like he is going to school there, so it is partly his China too.

When I was in Dalian 10 years ago there was a bar I wanted to go in and Ping would not agree to go there. She said look at all the Mercedes Benz cars parked on the sidewalk, these are cars belonging to Party members and that bar you want to go in is where they go and drink. It pissed me off to have these cars in the way. You had to walk in the road to get around them. Somehow one developed a small scratch as I went by.

I love China, but China will always be 3rd world.

Who knows? Could have been my Brother-in-Law ----The last time I was in his official car, (Toyota with dark tinted windows) --he broke every traffic law on the book!----and apparently he is high up enough, that just driving from Foshan to GZ--- and checking out his license plate---we occasionally picked up a motorcycle cop who pulled in ahead of us, and put on his siren and lights----until we go to the end of the motorcycle cop's jurisdiction ---then he salutes and pulls back. So if this white guy wants to risk deportation, have at it! Any example of of the Rule of Law---even traffic laws, is well worth it in China. (I'm not going to do it...)

Being as young as he is and with all those books it looks like he is going to school there, so it is partly his China too.

When I was in Dalian 10 years ago there was a bar I wanted to go in and Ping would not agree to go there. She said look at all the Mercedes Benz cars parked on the sidewalk, these are cars belonging to Party members and that bar you want to go in is where they go and drink. It pissed me off to have these cars in the way. You had to walk in the road to get around them. Somehow one developed a small scratch as I went by.

I love China, but China will always be 3rd world.

Damn, I LOVE that line Robert. I sat here this morning and laughed my hillbilly butt off at that beautiful line.

I truly enjoy and respect the third world feel of China. Actually, the third world quality of the smaller northern city, Fushun, my wife owns her home in is a great part of my attraction to China.

Yeah, the white boy with his self righteous ugly American indignation is an idiot...in my hillbilly opinion.

He's like a guy that stands at the oceans edge and yells for the tide to not come in any farther than the line he drew in the sand.

I am so sick and tired of arrogant Americans trying to change China, looking for the smallest irritant (to them) about China.

China, is just China. Why do us white boys always want things in the rest of the world to be as we see them through our rose tinted glasses? Alas, that is the way it is with many Americans, and just like in China, the way things will always be.

I like different cultures, respect them and have a very strong and healthy...live and let live attitude.

tsap seui

There are many Chinese standing up for this. Laowai was reported in the news probably because he is Laowai. I was to that lady. But no result! Anyway there are many things we need to work on.

A guy we met - old dude - that met and married a Chinese gal that was already in the states told me about the one trip he made to China after they were married. He said they were in a restaurant and some dude at a different table was brow beating his wife. Well, American gets up, goes over and tells the guy to knock it off.

He didn't want to believe me when I told him that he probably got the woman a real beating when they got home.

When you go to a different country - mind ythour own damn business.

I believe the story you told. In china, people think family issue is only related to family members. It is a shame to let others know or involved. No such thing like if you hear a couple, who live next to your door, fight and then you call the police. If it was reported to police, it would be treated just as an normal argument. It encourages evil family abuse. China has carried out a lot of laws and regulations to get rid of family abuses. But more important, people should change their thoughts on this. Zero tolerance to abuse. Then more women and children will be saved.

Edited by xiaozhu (see edit history)

He should definitely mind his own business. If you change a traffic pattern that nobody expects, he is going to cause an accident which otherwise would never happen.

It's like cross the street in china; you can inch your way across and just stop in the middle of passing cars, AS LONG AS YOU STAND STILL then drivers know what to expect and how to maintain flow. Dart across the street and everyone is thrown off the normal pattern.

I don't have any issue with the traffic in china since THEY obviously understand it.

He should definitely mind his own business. If you change a traffic pattern that nobody expects, he is going to cause an accident which otherwise would never happen.

It's like cross the street in china; you can inch your way across and just stop in the middle of passing cars, AS LONG AS YOU STAND STILL then drivers know what to expect and how to maintain flow. Dart across the street and everyone is thrown off the normal pattern.

I don't have any issue with the traffic in china since THEY obviously understand it.

We need to improve many many for traffic, crossing streets randomly, driving randomly and parking randomly.... We need to keep in mind to follow the rule which has been challenged by some people's bloating pocket and authorities.