The best airfares that I have been able to get will bring Jingwen, her two kids and me from HKG through SFO to Atlanta on United. The United layover at SFO is only two hours, but the representative said that should be plenty of time to clear immigration and customs. I have my doubts.

Any thoughts?

If all goes well it should be enough time but it will take all of two hours to get from one flight to the other. Always be ready for the unexpected too. The good thing is that you will be with them to handle any problem that might arise. Immigrations held my wife up and she missed her connection but was given a seat on the next flight out.

I dont know. I guess if everything goes as planned, then that is definitly enough time. I think i will try to have a 4 hour layover at my POE when my wife gets here. Of course, that also could be a problem if they decide to isolate her and interrogate her. I have read of people who have gone through in 10 minutes and i have also heard of people being detained for hours! I guess its a crap shoot with the odds being on your side!

Patrick :lol:

JM skated through immigration/customs at SF POE. It took her AND her son about 45 minutes max (that includes getting bags too). I think this is not the norm. Two hours is risky, given the connections alone. She'll need to pass through all the government crap, leave the international terminal and find the right flight in the domestic terminals. Most flyers also make these connections, which slows down security lines when entering the domestic gates. Maybe it's not needed, but 3-4 hours between flights might be wiser. Better err on caution than gets screwed.

A couple of things to consider.

When in the day does the flight arrive?

Any major holidays?

How many United flights from SF to Atlanta are there?

If it is a morning flight, and if the planes are not crowded, and it is not holiday season, then schedule the short layover. If you miss the flight, they will just put you on the next flight and you will be ok, although you may not have 4 seats next to each other.

Of course, If you schedule a later flight and get through customs witout any problems sometimes you can still catch the earlier flight.

I am not sure what happens to your luggage if you take a different flight, but perhaps the decision will be made early enough that it would be done before the bags are rechecked after customs.

Sorry, it has been a few years since I have been in the SF airport (maybe 1982) so I don't remember how cumbersome transportation is. Chicago is fine for changing domestic to international terminals. JFK is miserable.

Another option is to fly through LAX and schedule a 48, 72, or 96 hr layover...... How old are the kids? They might really enjoy Disney Land although it could be overwhelming the first day in the USA, and they might expect Atlanta to also have mono-rails and giant mice.

Have a wonderful flight.

------ Clifford -----

That agent might not be clear on the fact that you're talking about their first time coming through POE. I'm not sure any agent could know how long that takes.

If you aren't coming through with her you should tell her there is a line specifically for "NEW IMMIGRANTS" at SF (not sure if other airports have this). It's to the far left, which is a little confusing because other foriegners go to the right. There is rarely ever anyone standing in the new immigrants line that I've ever seen. But still I would give it a good amount of time since you know they have to do special processing for the first time through.

But still I would give it a good amount of time since you know they have to do special processing for the first time through.

You mean the digital probe? What is it about San Francisco's people wanting to put things in other people's butts????? "Hang on there, lassy.....we're going in deep!!!"

http://images.animfactory.com/animations/people_m_z/scuba_diver/diver_floating_md_wht.gif