Hello users! I recently got married . I have been looking at the DCF Process but still very confused on what I should do first.

First of all I know I should file the I-130 Petition. I noticed on several websites people talk about a cover letter, ect, but the form doesn't say anything about that. Infact it just wants a copy of my birth certificate (I assume a scanned one from the computer is ok, im in China and dont have access to it) and a copy of my Passport, Marriage Certificate.

So what am I missing?

Also, I thought I could file this in Shanghai, (Im in Changzhou). But the Shanghai website says I can't. I must go to Beijing, is this true?).

I'm also confused what makes it "DCF", as theres not really a DCF form. From my understanding, I must just submit I-130 and until thats approved. (How long could that take?) I cant submit anything else, then I will need to go back to Beijing to file the CR-1, Correct? That includes the G form, for Biographic information, and Electronic messages right? When I submit that can I also submit the affidivat of support?

I am just overwhelmed by what I need to prepare and how to submit it. If anyone has a good link to a nice step by step list.

Thanks,

I-130 needs proof of US Citizenship, it can be a copy of your US Passport, which you have, OR copy of US Birth Cert. Go with the passport.

Yep, you need to make a trip to Beijing, some more remote US Consulates will accept the petition and send it for you to Beijing, not Shanghai.

Where should I submit my Immigrant Visa petition? If you reside in the United States, you should submit your application to the Department of Homeland Security office that has jurisdiction over where you live. If you reside in the Shanghai Consular District AND have a valid Chinese Foreigner’s Residence Permit visa you may submit your petition to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service Beijing Office.

http://shanghai.usem...rimmigrant.html

DCF is forum speak for "Direct Consulate Filing" just means you are filing the I-130 to the DHS office located overseas rather than mailing the petition to them in Chicago IL (DHS--USCIS)

Follow this guide: http://www.visajourn...tent/i130guide1 (G-1145 may not be needed due to filing overseas however I would include it)

• I-130
  • TWO G-325A forms, one from petitioner, and one from beneficiary
  • Copies of relationship evidence
  • Copy of marriage cert + Translation
  • Copy of divorce certs from any and all prior marriages

Affidavit of support is an interview time thing, not needed when filing the petition.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

I-130 needs proof of US Citizenship, it can be a copy of your US Passport, which you have, OR copy of US Birth Cert. Go with the passport.

Yep, you need to make a trip to Beijing, some more remote US Consulates will accept the petition and send it for you to Beijing, not Shanghai.

Where should I submit my Immigrant Visa petition? If you reside in the United States, you should submit your application to the Department of Homeland Security office that has jurisdiction over where you live. If you reside in the Shanghai Consular District AND have a valid Chinese Foreigner¡¯s Residence Permit visa you may submit your petition to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service Beijing Office.

http://shanghai.usem...rimmigrant.html

DCF is forum speak for "Direct Consulate Filing" just means you are filing the I-130 to the DHS office located overseas rather than mailing the petition to them in Chicago IL (DHS--USCIS)

Follow this guide: http://www.visajourn...tent/i130guide1 (G-1145 may not be needed due to filing overseas however I would include it)

• I-130
  • TWO G-325A forms, one from petitioner, and one from beneficiary
  • Copies of relationship evidence
  • Copy of marriage cert + Translation
  • Copy of divorce certs from any and all prior marriages

Affidavit of support is an interview time thing, not needed when filing the petition.

)

Ah I see. Thanks! As for proof of marriage, should I include photos with this? Or Some Affidavits from friends in China be enough? I have a close friend I can probably get one from. Perhaps one from the mother too, but she doesnt write English. (Should I only include english ones?) or will friends be sufficient? How important is this step?

So I suppose after this step they will give me instructions for the next step. I just hope I dont have to go to Beijing office more than twice, living in Changzhou it will be a little bit of a trip to do this.

Thanks,

)

Ah I see. Thanks! As for proof of marriage, should I include photos with this? Or Some Affidavits from friends in China be enough? I have a close friend I can probably get one from. Perhaps one from the mother too, but she doesnt write English. (Should I only include english ones?) or will friends be sufficient? How important is this step?

So I suppose after this step they will give me instructions for the next step. I just hope I dont have to go to Beijing office more than twice, living in Changzhou it will be a little bit of a trip to do this.

Thanks,

Affidavits from friends need to be notarized, and typically when dealing with DHS should be English., Notarization can be done at the US Consulate for a fee. Other evidence of relationship can be used, for example if you married last year, then a copy of a joint IRS return can be included.

Relationship evidence such as a few photo's together from various occasions, also a few of you with family is good.

Also, it says that DCF needs proof of residence in china for 6 months. Do I just include a Copy of my Residence Permit in my Passport when filing for DCF?

Yep.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

)

Thanks,

Affidavits from friends need to be notarized, and typically when dealing with DHS should be English., Notarization can be done at the US Consulate for a fee. Other evidence of relationship can be used, for example if you married last year, then a copy of a joint IRS return can be included.

Relationship evidence such as a few photo's together from various occasions, also a few of you with family is good.

Also, it says that DCF needs proof of residence in china for 6 months. Do I just include a Copy of my Residence Permit in my Passport when filing for DCF?

Yep.

Thats a pain! it would be quite expensive for me to take a friend out to the consulate. Can I get the notarization done by someone other than the consulate? like from some local place in town not related to US Government?And you said "Friends" does that mean the parents wouldn't need a notarization?

Thats a pain! it would be quite expensive for me to take a friend out to the consulate. Can I get the notarization done by someone other than the consulate? like from some local place in town not related to US Government?And you said "Friends" does that mean the parents wouldn't need a notarization?

Anyone giving a sworn statement, needs to sign it in front of a notary, this is fro verification that the person signing is in fact the person making the statement.

Notary offices in China don't provide this, a notary office in China is primarily a records office.

Note these statements are just one of the suggested items, they are not a requirement unless you cannot meet one of the other suggestions in the I-130 instructions (Joint ownership of property; or joint lease of rental property; or commingled fiances; or birth of children from your relationship.) A Joint tax return or joint bank account in the states is commingled fiances..

Anyone giving a sworn statement, needs to sign it in front of a notary, this is fro verification that the person signing is in fact the person making the statement.

Notary offices in China don't provide this, a notary office in China is primarily a records office.

Note these statements are just one of the suggested items, they are not a requirement unless you cannot meet one of the other suggestions in the I-130 instructions (Joint ownership of property; or joint lease of rental property; or commingled fiances; or birth of children from your relationship.) A Joint tax return or joint bank account in the states is commingled fiances..

Sadly I don't have any of that yet. Do you think one Notarized Affidavit will be sufficient? I don't have a common tenancy lease because im still on the lease I signed before I was married here in China...though I always suppose I can ask if theres a way to add her to the lease.

Sadly I don't have any of that yet. Do you think one Notarized Affidavit will be sufficient? I don't have a common tenancy lease because im still on the lease I signed before I was married here in China...though I always suppose I can ask if theres a way to add her to the lease.

I would believe one would be sufficient. Also if you can have your spouse's name added to lease, that would be good.

One note: DCF tends to have lowest chance of denial due to US Citizen living overseas with spouse vs just getting married and then filing the petition in the states/

I would believe one would be sufficient. Also if you can have your spouse's name added to lease, that would be good.

One note: DCF tends to have lowest chance of denial due to US Citizen living overseas with spouse vs just getting married and then filing the petition in the states/

Besides the Affidvats , is there any thing else that will need to be notarized?

Besides the Affidvats , is there any thing else that will need to be notarized?

Nope.

Here is a list of what I submitted with my DCF in Beijing last December. It's probably not the best list here but with the website acting up it's easier to find my own content than look for others and my wife had her visa issued a few days ago so it must not be that bad because it worked.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42631-dcfing-i-130-next-week-am-i-forgetting-anything/page__p__565511__fromsearch__1#entry565511

Application Materials-

Completed I-130

4x Completed G-325A's for myself

4x Completed G-325A's for my wife

Her Notarized Birth Certificate

Her Notarized Divorce Decree

Our Notarized Marriage Certificate

Copy of actual Marriage Certificate

Copy of Bio Data from my passport

Copy of Bio Data from her passport

Copy of my valid Chinese Residence Permit

1x Passport Photo of her

1x Passport Photo of me

Supporting Info-

-Affidavit from my employer stating that we have lived together since August 2009 and function as a happy couple, etc. in her opinion

-Affidavit from a current co-worker briefly outlying similar information as above

-Photocopies of old Chinese visa and entry/exit stamps from visit

-Screenshots of the two of us having Skype video calls with my family

-EOR letter (4-pages) outlying when we met (Sept 2008), how we met (Skype), and how things have evolved. I make mention of our conversation methods, my initial visit to Chine in February of 2009, how we have lived together since August of 2009, taken multiple trips together, visited her family on multiple occasions, etc. In the EOR letter I also mention that her ex-husband has since their divorce also remarried.

-Flight Itinerary/etickets/credit card receipts for my three flights to China

-Credit card statements with the name and city of the hotel I stayed at (in the city she lived in) during my first visit

-Copy of one letter she sent to me via postal mail. Multiple letters I sent to her never arrived.

-(23) Emails exchanged between my wife and I spread out between September 2008 to July 2009. 99% of our communication was on Skype but we do not have any logs of that.

- Skype screenshot of phone calls made to her and her mother's home when both of us made a trip home (hers to her hometown, mine to to the US) to visit family this summer.

-(15) Emails exchanged with my family spread out between Feb 2009 and present day. Some of the emails are addressed to both of us, but most of them are just family asking how the two of us are and me talking about her with family.

-(4) Receipts for gifts I purchased for my wife

-(2) Copies of e-cards from family congratulating us on our marriage

-(40) Pictures of the two of us together spread out between Feb 2009 and present day. In the pictures we can clearly be seen at different points of interest in China (Beijing, Shanghai, Nanjing, Xi'an, and others). In a few of the pictures we are together with my wife's family during visits.

I did not have any of my affidavits notarized (four between what I gave in Beijing and what my wife submitted with her interview) and they were all still accepted. Whether they were used as toilet paper after being accepted because they weren't notarized, I have no idea, but they were accepted.

In addition to the required documents listed in dno's most recent post you should try to "front load" your application with as much relationship evidence as possible by submitting it along with your I-130 application. The reason for this is that if you do it right, they will have an idea of the legitimacy of your relationship, ability to communicate with your SO, and other things that they would otherwise have to try to sort out in a brief interview later before going into the interview. Most of the evidence choices listed on the application form are literally impossible for someone in your situation to obtain, so think outside the box.

You don't have to travel to Beijing to submit the I-130, you can mail it in by EMS.

You first have to go to Shanghai (or another consulate - I went to Shenyang) to get the I-130 receipt during American Citizen Services.

The American Citizen Services (ACS) unit in Shanghai cannot collect petitioners’ Form I-130. However, American citizens residing in Shanghai’s Consular District can pay the US$330 or RMB equivalent filing fee at Shanghai’s ACS office and attach their receipt to their I-130 application as proof of payment.

http://shanghai.usem...antvisasnv.html

Link for ACS Appointments

http://shanghai.usem...stem011309.html

I would then recommend you followup by email to check on the status. I would send an email about 2-4 weeks after sending the petition. The USCIS office in Beijing responded to my emails within one business day.

Link to USCIS Beijing

http://beijing.usemb...d_security.html

The email address and EMS mailing address is on that link.

Take a look at this topic, this has recent good Info as well.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42910-i-sent-my-i-130-by-dcf-in-beijing/

Edited by Beachey (see edit history)

Thanks for all the help guys. I know this next question is a little silly, but I'm quite paranoid to mess anything on this up. Especially because of previous experiences with Government, I always expect them to be absolutely anal about everything. But do the copies I make of my passport, and other documents need to be color copies?