My DCF story.... still unfinished

Hi all! I've been lurking here for a few years but for some reason never was able to create an account, until today.

Anyway, I'll fill you in on my story. Came to China in 2007, met my folks in Hong Kong and then we travelled around southern China (Guangdong, Guangxi, Yunan, and Sichuan) for about two months. Met my wife in late April 2007 in Lijiang, we spent a few days getting to know each other and then parted. Before leaving China 2 weeks later I went back to meet her in Shenzhen where she was living at the time. Over the next year we spent a few months travelling together, both in China and elsewhere in SE Asia. In 2008 we moved to Shanghai together, spent about a year and a half there and then moved to my wife's hometown of Wuhan. We got married in March 2009, and ou daughter was born on Nov. 24th 2010.

I went to submit the I-130 petition in Beijing on Feb. 15th 2011, and we got the P3 from Guangzhou just a few days ago. We have been trying to tie up all the loose ends before we send P3 back to GUZ. A few issues we have are,

1. My wife joined the CCP as everyone told her it would be good for her future, and even though she stopped paying the dues in 2007 they still try to claim she is a member. In fact she has been battling with the local CCP office to get the official letter from them stating she is no longer a member, they have made it as hard as possible for her and have tried their best to convince her not to quit. Anyway, she is actually at the CCP office right now trying for the 5th time to get the official letter, I'll update this later.

2. As is common for DCFers, the I-864 is our other big obstacle. My father will be our co-sponsor, he is retired and although he has enough income from 2010 and will continue to have that much for the rest of his life, his 08 and 09 income was a little less. I think it was still above the 125% for those years but I haven't got the official answer from him yet.

I think these are the two biggest issues for us right now. Feel free to give me your opinion if you have any suggestions.

Here is what I included with my I-130

1. I-130

2. Copy of my birth cert.

3. Copy of my passport bio page and residence permit

4. Notarized copy of our marriage cert. with English translation

5. G-325A for me

6. Passport photo of me

7. G-325A for my wife

8. Passport photo of my wife

9. Notarized copy of my wife's birth cert. with English translation

10. Affidavit written by my parents affirming their knowledge of our relationship

11. Affidavit written by my wife's best friend affirming her knowledge of our relationship (her letter was very sweet)

12. Copy of our daughter's birth cert.

13. Photos, titled and dated of us together and with each others families

14. EOR letter

15. Copies of passport pages from both of our passports with visas and exit/entry stamps from when we travelled together

16. Screenshots from my email account showing emails from my wife.

1) about CCP stop fighting them, unless you can prove quite more than 5 years prior to interview additional processing will be needed after the interview, just be honest about the membership. Most join for work related reasons, not political this is understood by the interviewing officer.

2) About affidavit of support, current and future income is what is being considered. 08 09 returns show consistant income.

What is of a bigger issue is your I-864 as primary sponsor, a requirement is showing a US domicile and that living abroad was a temporary condition, will need to attach evidence that you have or are in the process of reestablishing a domicile in the USA,

Thanks for the welcome, and the input.

My wife spoke to the local CCP office yesterday and they said that she is no longer in their system. Anyway, we had always planned to be honest throughout the entire process, and we are going to GUZ looking for blue. Although, I have heard of cases where the question is never asked, that would be a bonus for us.

Regarding my I-864 and domicile issue, I'm not sure if we will go to Hawaii or Colorado yet. We would like to go to Hawaii and live with my sister who has been to China, and also travelled with me and my wife in Bali, Indonesia, but nobody there will hire me until I have a for sure date when I would arrive. My brother who lives in Colorado owns several businesses and 6 or 8 houses that he rents out, and has offered to write a letter stating that I will work for him and rent one of his homes. I had also thought of going back to the states before the interview, however I would struggle to leave my 5 month old daughter and my wife for too long.

Keep in mind the DS-230 which will be signed under oath at the consulate asks about this.

Also I assume daughter's birth was registered at the consulate or embassy getting a US Passport for her, be aware you will need an exit visa for her to leave China, this is aquired at the PSB office.

Well the DS-230 asks if you are a member of the communist party, it doesn't ask if you ever were a member. This was the reason we wanted to make sure she was out of the CCP before sending P3 back to GUZ. Again, if they ask if she ever was she will be honest, we are expecting this and will be fine with blue.

Thanks for the tip about the exit visa as well. We already have contacted the local PSB office about this and they said that we would need to exit within 6 months of getting this visa, so we decided it's best to wait on it.

My wife spoke to the local CCP office yesterday and they said that she is no longer in their system. Anyway, we had always planned to be honest throughout the entire process, and we are going to GUZ looking for blue. Although, I have heard of cases where the question is never asked, that would be a bonus for us.

Regarding my I-864 and domicile issue, I'm not sure if we will go to Hawaii or Colorado yet. We would like to go to Hawaii and live with my sister who has been to China, and also travelled with me and my wife in Bali, Indonesia, but nobody there will hire me until I have a for sure date when I would arrive. My brother who lives in Colorado owns several businesses and 6 or 8 houses that he rents out, and has offered to write a letter stating that I will work for him and rent one of his homes. I had also thought of going back to the states before the interview, however I would struggle to leave my 5 month old daughter and my wife for too long.

You have a bird in the hand there for the I-864 in your brother's job and rental home. You can always change your mind AFTER you get the visa.

I am not sure whether a formal letter from local office stating she is not ccp would be helpful at her interview if she is asked by VO. If it is hard to get the letter, just pass it. Hope she would not be asked at interview.

Edited by xiaozhu (see edit history)

The CCP office said that they will not, under any circumstances, give her a letter stating she is no longer a member. They did say they will give her some sort of record of her CCP status and she tried to explain to me what this was but I'm lost. I think she will try to get this next week so maybe I can explain it then.

I also hope they will not ask at the interview, but if they do I would like to be prepared. From the reading I did on this CCP issue it seems they will ask for a letter written by my wife explaining her involvement with CCP, as well as an official letter stating that she is no longer a member? So if this letter is needed, how would she go about getting it?

Well the DS-230 asks if you are a member of the communist party, it doesn't ask if you ever were a member. This was the reason we wanted to make sure she was out of the CCP before sending P3 back to GUZ. Again, if they ask if she ever was she will be honest, we are expecting this and will be fine with blue.

It is a good catch of DS230's question. At the interview, VO did ask "Are you CCP?" not "Were/are you CCP?". Just wish your wife would not face the question anyway.

It is a good catch of DS230's question. At the interview, VO did ask "Are you CCP?" not "Were/are you CCP?". Just wish your wife would not face the question anyway.

Right, that's what I noticed from many interview questions other members posted here, although I'm sure they sometimes ask "were you ever CCP?"

Thanks for your good wishes xiaozhu, I also hope she doesn't face this question.

The CCP office said that they will not, under any circumstances, give her a letter stating she is no longer a member. They did say they will give her some sort of record of her CCP status and she tried to explain to me what this was but I'm lost. I think she will try to get this next week so maybe I can explain it then.

I also hope they will not ask at the interview, but if they do I would like to be prepared. From the reading I did on this CCP issue it seems they will ask for a letter written by my wife explaining her involvement with CCP, as well as an official letter stating that she is no longer a member? So if this letter is needed, how would she go about getting it?

An official letter stating that she is no longer a member IS NOT required by Guangzhou. It was just my thought since you said her offical told her that she is not in the system. So I thought that an offical letter may be helpful but I do not know it would work or not for Guangzhou.

What Guangzhou wants from your wife really depends on their view on her situation. If she is asked "were you a ccp?", then she tells them she quits, I thought Guangzhou may want to have an official letter. Also Guangzhou may still want her statement.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42215

Anyway take a breath on this issue since it really depends on how VO makes the question in your case. But still hope they never make the question to your wife.

Just sent P3 back to GUZ today, we wanted to send it sooner but ended up filling out about 10 ds-230 forms until we got one that was good enough. So now we just need to make sure we get all the documents needed for the interview, hopefully before the interview I'll keep everyone updated when news happens!

Since I'm in the same boat, I thought I'd share my story as well. My wife joined the CCP as well. Her membership is with the university she works at and after requesting to quit, she was told she couldn't. The first time she tried, they told her it was a bad idea because so many people in China want to join and because it's an honor to be a part of the CCP. The next time they were reluctant as well, telling her that if she quits, she will have a difficult time trying to find a job in the future, and that she would be ruining her life if she quit. Finally, the third time the truth came out - the school doesn't want to lose face because no one as ever quit the CCP from their establishment in the past. They said that if someone called the school to determine if she was still an active member, they would say no on her behalf. Whether or not that's true is beyond me. They said they would LET her quit once she quit her job, after which point her CCP paperwork would be "lost". My wife has stopped paying the dues, but she's still forced to correct documents in the office that come in regarding CCP events or meetings within the school. This is associated with her job. Anyway, for the past month or so, we've been wondering whether or not to check "yes" or "no" next to the box that would accuse my wife of being a spy, terrorist, conspirator, killer, or a CCP member. That hardly seems fair or appropriate. The truth is, she did quit, but the school refuses to acknowledge it.

In case anyone is wondering, we've decided to check "no" and write a letter of explanation stating basically what I've written above in more detail. I too will post our results for future inquirers. I sympathize with you all.