The importance of petitioner being in Guangzhou during interview

deja vu all over again. this question has been asked at least 4 times (new threads) in the last 6 to 8 years.. pretty much the results were as reflected here---- its great if you can make it. In a small # of cases, it probably has been a make or break in the outcome, but mostly because the partitioner was there in advance to offer comfort----and coach. We did that, and I took her to Sanya, before the interview, so that it would be as relaxed as possible. Not a big cram, but just reviewing documents and asking, "what if" kinds of questions..... in between "long walks on the beach" ---if you get my drift...

The one thing I advised her--as in depositions, (which I have some experience with) --- don't answer a question not asked ---- it can lead down a slippery path. I also gave her my passport, but told her not to produce it unless asked.

On interview day, thats exactly the way it went down. An aggressive, and apparently relatively new to the job male interviewer.---without opening the file, (which he clearly had reviewed) he told her: "I see you were an English teacher, so we will conduct this interview in English" ---and then launched in with series of very fast questions. She was flustered, and defensive, and misunderstood some things, but apparently recovered enough so that he changed his tack ---- "why isn't your fiance here in China?" She pulled my passport out of her purse, threw it in front of him: "He's waiting outside, want to meet him?" ------favorable end of interview.

I always wonder why Guangzhou doesn't interview both petitioner and beneficiary for CR1/IR1 just like those who are doing AOS in the US ? has it always been this way ? is it this way also for other consular posts ?

Never mind K1 because they still have to show up for AOS later .

Not necessarily for AOS or Removal of conditions, it is very common for K-1 adjustment to get approved without an interview. In our case the last time my wife was interviewed was for K-1 visa, AOS and ROC were approved without interviews.

Someone said that they gave their passport to their wife for the interview. I think this is a wonderful idea¡­whether it helps or not¡­I can¡¯t imagine it doing anything other then showing a sign of force¡­.and for being there during the interview¡­. absolutely priceless¡­ I can¡¯t think of it in any other way.

Baring anything unforeseen, and if for no other reason, I will be there for moral support ..as for me this is one of the most important things I will do in my lifetime.

First off.. don't think of it as "priceless". This is exaggerated emotionalism. You will find GUZ has no concept of such things. So keep to reality. It is just a trip to china. just a passport. it can have some meaning in your context; but don't pass it off to everyone as something of more significance than what we already know about the process. Good luck.

after reading the posts , I truly believe there may be circumstances that could be useful for the petitioner to be there besides just a moral support . Those circumstances may not be known til the day of the interview. I read the posting of Hongkong2LA ( that's Hongkong consulate ) . The guy was able to overcome his white slip by having them examine him under oath.

Absolutely , I will be there even though I have seen my wife more than 20X the past 4 years and just came back from China 2 weeks ago. She speaks no English and what if they treat her like a rabbid dog ( " lil rabbit's example from my uncle Tsap) ? a bad preview of the country I love before she even lands here.

Edited by bullmastiff (see edit history)

after reading the posts , I truly believe there may be circumstances that could be useful for the petitioner to be there besides just a moral support . Those circumstances may not be known til the day of the interview. I read the posting of Hongkong2LA ( that's Hongkong consulate ) . The guy was able to overcome his white slip by having them examine him under oath.

Absolutely , I will be there even though I have seen my wife more than 20X the past 4 years and just came back from China 2 weeks ago. She speaks no English and what if they treat her like a rabbid dog ( " lil rabbit's example from my uncle Tsap) ? a bad preview of the country I love before she even lands here.

This is good reasoning. But again, keep it all in a reality check. What one guy was able to do does not mean everyone would be able to do it. We cannot control how GUZ might treat them during an interview and we cannot completely control what they will let us do to assist. Best thing we can do is prepare them for the interview, support them and do what is possible. But don't have unrealistic expectations that the government owes us a visa just because we are a USC. The system is what it is; it ain't pretty, but if we want to participate than we need be prepared for any outcome.

If she does not speak english, I would feel that a more compelling reason to be there. There will probably be even more a need for moral support too. Try to get with one of the hotels which assists her.