In China , the Exit and Entry administration doesn't give the person the old passport back when issuing the new one.

Then, how does one present the old passport to the interview ?

Nope, not true, my wife has 3 passports, two expired and one new one, they are returned to you when renewing a passport with a corner or hole punched into it to invalidate it.

This is the same with US passports when you renew them with the department of state.

In China , the Exit and Entry administration doesn't give the person the old passport back when issuing the new one.

Then, how does one present the old passport to the interview ?

Yes - they'll return it to the passport holder if requested. They'll clip a corner off of the old passport and void it out

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

I don't know why they took my wife's damaged passport and then issued a new one.

I asked her to go back to them to get that damaged one if it is still there. If not, ask them to write a statement indicating that it has been destroyed.

Yes, others' saying is correct. Your wife maybe forgot to ask for the old one when she received the new one. Normally the officer there will ask the applicant if would like to have the old passport back when they give him/her a new one.

They did not offer and she did not ask 5 yrs ago

I see. They should mention it to your wife. Anyway hope she gets some information useful there.

In China, at most time you have to ask/inquire officals instead they provide what they should do. Now the situation is getting much better than before. When I updated my passort in Chicago (two years ago) and my Chinese ID in Beijing (months ago), they all asked me if I would like to keep the old one before I asked it.

Edited by xiaozhu (see edit history)