Proof Of "Bona-Fide" Marriage

I have been living here in China for the past five years. I had been living with my now wife for the last two years and in December, we got married, in China. I have filed for her to get her Green Card but I have been asked for proof and it states for a "Bona-Fide" marriage. How do you prove that you are really married, besides having gotten actually married? We are married and they do not want to process the application. I feel that this is crazy. What more must I do?

Maybe I missed something here. Are you filing just for a Permanent Residency Card or is there a visa application associated with this? Where in China are you living and where and with whom did you file? I suspect by "bona fide marriage" they mean a true relationship as opposed to a scam marriage in order for person to enter the U.S.

Edited by Mick (see edit history)

•  
  • Tax returns showing joint filing
  • Receipts showing joint obligations for housing and living expenses, such as rent, utilities, telephone, etc
  • Joint mortgages, leases, credit accounts, or any other financial obligations including joint ownership of any property
  • Any evidence of joint finances, e.g. joint bank accounts, insurance policies, retirement plans, trusts, wills, etc.
  • Phone bill, photos, and correspondence between you and your spouse - from before and during the marriage
  • Any Correspondence to both spouses from family members e.g. emails or letters
  • Any evidence that those who know you and your spouse recognize you as a married couple, such as invitations, cards, correspondence (emails, letters), etc.
  • Any other documentation or evidence that shows that the marriage is a genuine marital union.

It's YOUR responsibility to prove to the VO that your's is a genuine marriage, and not just for the sake of getting a visa.

Here's the current list of guidelines from the I-130 Instruction Set (include as much as is practical):

1. Documentation showing joint ownership or property; or

2. A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence; or

3. Documentation showing co-mingling of financial resources; or

4. Birth certificate(s) of child(ren) born to you, the petitioner, and your spouse together; or

5. Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal

knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship (Each affidavit

must contain the full name and address, date and place of birth of the

person making the affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner

or beneficiary, if any, and complete information and details explaining

how the person acquired his or herknowledge of your marriage); or

6. Any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing marital union.

In general, "front-loading" of evidence places this evidence in your folder prior to being shipped to the consulate. The advantages are two-fold - the evidence is "approved" by the USCIS (and, by law, may not be used against you), and the evidence is in the hands of the visa officer prior to the actual interview. For example, a short courtship period or period between divorce of ex, and meeting current, may be addressed in an "Evolution of Relationship" letter. But, remember that the VO is also REQUIRED by law to DENY your visa if he feels (gets the wild hare up his a**) that your relationship is non-bonafide.

More weight should be given to "real" evidence than things like adding the spouse to utility bills, or health insurance plans which may not cover care in China.

It is important to exercise care, however, that no doors are left opened that the USCIS or consulate might require additional information about.

I have heard in the past from others that just because they are married that they are entitled to a visa for their spouse. A myth for sure.

Yes. Maybe we need to ask The Don for a new forum: Myth Busters and Tales of the Great Wizards of Guz

I think you are on to something!! A great entertainment forum idea!

I have heard in the past from others that just because they are married that they are entitled to a visa for their spouse. A myth for sure.

Yes. Maybe we need to ask The Don for a new forum: Myth Busters and Tales of the Great Wizards of Guz

I was thinking more like a sedative

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!!!!