wife's signature

Hi folks,

My wife and I are starting the electronic processing at NVC, and as we gather documents, I'm wondering about her signature. Up to now she's signed things with her Chinese character signature. Does she need to change to a pinyin cursive signature? Will the US Gov't accept her signature in Chinese characters? Can she sign using both?

The documents we're getting from NVC (the first ones to come) have her name in pinyin (flipped, like in the West); does she need to sign that way from now on for all these documents? Someone who doesn't read Chinese would have no way of matching her signature with her pinyin name (but then again, my signature is illegible, too! )

thanks for your advice and experience, as always.

Tim

FIrst you have to ask yourself, what exactly is a signature?

Something that identifies you.

I had my wife sign every legal document in the way she would write her chinese name.

There are no rules on what a signature should be. Please inform me if there are any.

Yep, a person's signature is their mark, sign however is comfortable. If signing using Chinese Characters is comfortable then continue doing so.

She's supposed to sign in Russian (since this was already covered - I thought "what the heck")

I had my wife sign her name in pinyin on all documents. She was coming to America and signing Chinese would cause her trouble down the road so why not start from the beginning. And of course since she has been here she continues to do so, so it's no big deal to her now. And yes inverted, given name then family name.

Edited by chilton747 (see edit history)

I had my wife sign her name in pinyin on all documents. She was coming to America and signing Chinese would cause her trouble down the road so why not start from the beginning. And of course since she has been here she continues to do so, so it's no big deal to her now. And yes inverted, given name then family name.

I agee with Charles I mean cuzzin ORD.

Had my wife start to sign in pinyin and if asked for alias always used Given, Sur and my Last. Now she is here and signs all things with my last name.