Carl's guitar project.

warpedbored

Charles I haven't played in 15 years until I finished this guitar. I'm too rusty to make a video. I've been playing it every day but I still play badly. My mind knows what to do but my fingers don't want to cooperate. It will take a lot more practice before I'm ready to make a YouTube video.

Hows about an mp3..Man you are starving us. Just put down your best riffs on an mp3.. Weeze gots to knowwwww!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Another one for the project list:

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/dnoblett/Misc%20Junk%20for%20posting/557803_10151870733208522_712619799_n_zps1a2c687a.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Carl,

I saw this recently and it reminded me of your guitar project. It's pretty cool!

Maybe Santa might brig you one.

I have read about these things for several years as they have been in development. I think they are now hitting the market like gangbusters. I believe Epiphone and maybe Gibson have some of their high end guitars with this standard on them. I wonder how much the individual units cost. Anyone know?

They're not cheap but on the average of $300 - $400 each.

I figured they would cost a good bit. I am going to start dropping hints. Li gave me a nice new geetar for Christmas and I can't think of a more appropriate follow up gift for say, my birthday, which comes at the end of April.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Been a while since I updated this. I'm back to work on two more guitars. Both based on a 1929 Martin OM. I was taking my tops, backs and sides to where I work to thickness them on a drum sander there but we sold it and they don't want me to get a new one dirty so I decided to build one. I finally finished it today. The weird looking red thing on top is the dust hood. It works like a champ.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/2akd6wi.jpg

http://oi60.tinypic.com/2urs0u8.jpg

• Like 1

That was great Carl. I made myself a 12" disk sander a long time ago and still have it. It works just like a factory made one and the only thing that I bought was the Disk for the sandpaper. Made the frame and table and a found electric motor. So I can appreciate what you have done and what you did was much more difficult because you have to keep that dang belt running straight or it can eat one in about 2 seconds.

Larry

A Jet 1632 drum sander is about $1100.00 new. I scrounged most of the parts for this one. All I bought was the aluminum tubing for the drum, a piece of round bar for the axle, some MDF for the core of the drum, a roll of sandpaper and a sheet of Baltic Birch plywood for the rest. I traded an old block plane for the motor. All told I have less than $100.00 in it.

WAY cool toy Carl. I have always been intrigued, and used, man toys for wood. Your toys are for much more intricate work than mine. I am awed by your projects and the precision skills you have.

I have to laugh at myself. One of SWMBO's apartments has a fully wooden door (LOL shows you how old that door is) that long ago someone only put two hinges on. After the many years of use and folks just putting larger and longer screws in the upper hinge, which kept failing, I did the right thing and mortised in another hinge on the wall and door.Tap tap tap goes the hammer on the wood chisel. I thought about your projects and work when I did that, and fixed the three holes on the upper hinge. Functional but not near the precision skills you have and work with....lol

My daughter lives a coupla hours or so west of you in Medford. Once Fengqi is tucked away at Penn State I want to make a trip out to see sometime. I know the plane will land in ol' Portland. What fun it would be to see you and see your work, and have you describe what you do in person for a coupla hours. I don't have the mindset for that sort of work but I love seeing projects like you do. Who knows, I may have SWMBO pushing me along as the Chinartucky wimmin are want to do, or maybe I'll go see Ahrial while THE BOSS is in China and I'll be solo on the trip. Either way, it'd be fun to laugh at life a wee bit, ooh and ahh over your man toys, and have you describe your work in person.... if I can work out the details. I'll be the hayseed with a goofy grin, in shorts, a flowered shirt of some sort, and a straw stuck in between my tooth and a rotten gum. Know wudda mean Vern?

tsap seui

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...