I'm thinking about getting some friends and family to do sworn statements. I've never even looked into such a thing and have no idea where to get such a thing done and how difficult it will be for them. Is it over kill? Is there such a thing? laugh.gif

I also plan on putting her name on the title for the house, via quick deed, and my checking account.

Am I going overboard?

No not over kill, it is one of the things that USCIS suggests in the directions.

Examples can be found on VJ under removal of conditions, use them as examples for affidavits for spouse visa petition.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/examples

I'm thinking about getting some friends and family to do sworn statements. I've never even looked into such a thing and have no idea where to get such a thing done and how difficult it will be for them. Is it over kill? Is there such a thing? :lol:

I also plan on putting her name on the title for the house, via quick deed, and my checking account.

Am I going overboard?

No. It is not overkill. In fact you should do more.

If I remember the instructions they want at least two letters from others who have watched the relationship.

Co-mingling of finances is a must. Putting her on both house and check account is a great step.

I also put my wife on all credit cards, the utilities, the cars and included these as evidence.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

I'm thinking about getting some friends and family to do sworn statements. I've never even looked into such a thing and have no idea where to get such a thing done and how difficult it will be for them. Is it over kill? Is there such a thing? :lol:

Am I going overboard?

If I remember the instructions they want at least two letters from others who have watched the relationship.

Co-mingling of finances is a must. Putting her on both house and check account is a great step.

I also put my wife on all credit cards, the utilities, the cars and included these as evidence.

As I mentioned in another post, commingling of finances is one thing, it can be expected in DCF cases where a couple have been living together as a couple for quite some time prior to filing a petition, however it is NOT expected in cases where a couple have been internet dating, and had several visits prior to marriage and then filing a petition.

http://candleforlove...ndpost&p=570266

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/dnoblett/Immigration%20Stuff/I-130Evidence1.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/dnoblett/Immigration%20Stuff/I-130Evidence2.jpg

http://www.uscis.gov.../i-130instr.pdf

Note the "OR"s in the list, it means one of the items listed is fine, and done need to provide more, Affidavits "OR" Co-mingled finances.

A Joint IRS return may be simpler than trying to set up a joint bank account.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Am I going overboard?

As I mentioned in another post, commingling of finances is one thing, it can be expected in DCF cases where a couple have been living together as a couple for quite some time prior to filing a petition, however it is NOT expected in cases where a couple have been internet dating, and had several visits prior to marriage and then filing a petition.

http://candleforlove...ndpost&p=570266

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/dnoblett/Immigration%20Stuff/I-130Evidence1.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/dnoblett/Immigration%20Stuff/I-130Evidence2.jpg

http://www.uscis.gov.../i-130instr.pdf

Note the "OR"s in the list, it means one of the items listed is fine, and done need to provide more, Affidavits "OR" Co-mingled finances.

A Joint IRS return may be simpler than trying to set up a joint bank account.

Generally I would agree with such a logic. However, unless doing too much would look odd I think I would rather go with a nuke instead of a hand grenade. My main concern is whether or not I can get all those things done quickly as I would like to send the package off as soon after I get back to the States as possible.

I wish we could jointly file taxes, but that will have to wait until next year. :(

Is there any reason I would have to wait for the wedding to do most of those things?

Edited by foobaz123 (see edit history)

Concerning money: Married couples generally do not live in separate countries. So it's hard to apply a simple rule that married couples generally co-mingle. Is she sending any of her money to the US to co-mingle? I could as easily say a sham marriage will expect the man to send money. I think most arguments are really hard to make. We should keep historical cases in mind.

Concerning sworn statements: What would they say? Have they meet her? If people want to use sworn statements, they should have meet or talk directly with her (preferably on a phone, IMO).

Concerning filing taxes: You need to get a copy of her passport bio page notarized at a US Consulate ($50), have her sign an ITIN application, and then submit these with the tax return.

Edited by david_dawei (see edit history)

Concerning money: Married couples generally do not live in separate countries. So it's hard to apply a simple rule that married couples generally co-mingle. Is she sending any of her money to the US to co-mingle? I could as easily say a sham marriage will expect the man to send money. I think most arguments are really hard to make. We should keep historical cases in mind.

Concerning sworn statements: What would they say? Have they meet her? If people want to use sworn statements, they should have meet or talk directly with her (preferably on a phone, IMO).

Concerning filing taxes: You need to get a copy of her passport bio page notarized at a US Consulate ($50), have her sign an ITIN application, and then submit these with the tax return.

On Taxes: I've already filed for 2010, would it really be worth it to re-file just for this addition? We weren't married in 2010 after all. Aside from that purpose, is there any use to getting her passport bio page notarized?

On Sworn Statements: Of those that I would ask, one has physically met her (went with me on trip four), one has spoken to her on webcam/mic a number of times, and one has talked with her on chat. Only one of them hasn't directly spoken/chatted with her. As to what they would say, I imagine just that they've known me for period X and what the know of how she and I came to be together. As I said at the start, I'm not even sure it's really that necessary as I don't think we're lacking in evidence for a real relationship. I just don't want to leave anything to chance.

On Co-mingling fiances: You make a good point. She isn't sending any money this way, at this time. If I put her name on my checking account it would be admittedly almost entirely symbolic. It isn't even necessary for sending her money as she has a paypal debit card in her name tied to my account. That being said, it would be nice for her to be able to pay the rent on our apartment without my having to bounce money around paypal. :D

Sometimes I think maybe I should just move to China and live there for a couple of years and go DCF... haha

On Taxes: I've already filed for 2010, would it really be worth it to re-file just for this addition? We weren't married in 2010 after all. Aside from that purpose, is there any use to getting her passport bio page notarized?

On Sworn Statements: Of those that I would ask, one has physically met her (went with me on trip four), one has spoken to her on webcam/mic a number of times, and one has talked with her on chat. Only one of them hasn't directly spoken/chatted with her. As to what they would say, I imagine just that they've known me for period X and what the know of how she and I came to be together. As I said at the start, I'm not even sure it's really that necessary as I don't think we're lacking in evidence for a real relationship. I just don't want to leave anything to chance.

On Co-mingling fiances: You make a good point. She isn't sending any money this way, at this time. If I put her name on my checking account it would be admittedly almost entirely symbolic. It isn't even necessary for sending her money as she has a paypal debit card in her name tied to my account. That being said, it would be nice for her to be able to pay the rent on our apartment without my having to bounce money around paypal. :D

Sometimes I think maybe I should just move to China and live there for a couple of years and go DCF... haha

Forget the tax return, unless visa interview happens a year from now, you cannot amend a return to add wife that was not wife last year. This is an option in cases where marriage happened, and the filing petition long after the marriage, again in cases where a couple have been married a couple years as in living in the USA or abroad.

As David said persons supplying affidavits need to have interacted with both of you as a couple.

Most banks will not add someone not living in the USA to an account, difficult at best.

Forget the tax return, unless visa interview happens a year from now, you cannot amend a return to add wife that was not wife last year. This is an option in cases where marriage happened, and the filing petition long after the marriage, again in cases where a couple have been married a couple years as in living in the USA or abroad.

As David said persons supplying affidavits need to have interacted with both of you as a couple.

Most banks will not add someone not living in the USA to an account, difficult at best.

I'll ask about the bank, but post 9/11 and Patriot Act it probably would be difficult. What about adding her to the deed on the house?

I'll ask about the bank, but post 9/11 and Patriot Act it probably would be difficult. What about adding her to the deed on the house?

May have to ask a lawyer what would be involved in adding to deed, that may be doable.

On getting bio page: I think you will need one to send to NVC as part of P3 processing.

On statements: Sounds good!

On finances: Can a chinese bank now be used to pull down funds from Paypal?

On Living in China and going DCF: no kidding... Tell me about it :D

On bio page: Here is a link Dan provided in another thread:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.html

•  
  • Birth Certificates
  • Court and Prison Records
  • Deportation Documentation
  • Marriage Certificates
  • Marriage Termination Documentation
  • Military Records
  • Petitioner Documents
  • Photocopy of Valid Passport Biographic Data Page
  • Photographs
  • Police Certificates
  • Adoption Documentation

But the passport pictures are apparently not needed for NVC but for GUZ.

This say above "photocopy", for this purpose. For the ITIN application, it needs to be a certified copy.

Edited by david_dawei (see edit history)

On getting bio page: I think you will need one to send to NVC as part of P3 processing.

On statements: Sounds good!

On finances: Can a chinese bank now be used to pull down funds from Paypal?

On Living in China and going DCF: no kidding... Tell me about it :D

About Paypal in China, you can use the Paypal Debit card in various ATMs. So I put the money in the account via the website, she pulls it out there at the ATM next to the apartment. Handy location that.

On the statements, I can get them to write them easily enough. I wonder how necessary it be that they be sworn and notarized. I don't exactly have a notary laying around here. :)

On bio page: Here is a link Dan provided in another thread:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.html

•  
  • Birth Certificates
  • Court and Prison Records
  • Deportation Documentation
  • Marriage Certificates
  • Marriage Termination Documentation
  • Military Records
  • Petitioner Documents
  • Photocopy of Valid Passport Biographic Data Page
  • Photographs
  • Police Certificates
  • Adoption Documentation

But the passport pictures are apparently not needed for NVC but for GUZ.

This say above "photocopy", for this purpose. For the ITIN application, it needs to be a certified copy.

I wonder if it could be possibly useful to have a certified copy.. if even a slight chance.. hmmm...