Panic buying in China

That's like the run on vinegar during the SARS outbreak. Let the gullible do what they will.

Actually iodized salt WOULD help to avoid the absorption of radioactive iodine into the pituitary gland.

Perhaps that is just my own gullibility, but I believe it !

Radiation from what in China? From North Korea? Japan's radiation should blow toward the USA not toward China (wind direction).

These people should be happy to hear that

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2011-03/60203103.jpg

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-china-iodine-salt-20110318,0,5821296.story

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

That's like the run on vinegar during the SARS outbreak. Let the gullible do what they will.

Actually iodized salt WOULD help to avoid the absorption of radioactive iodine into the pituitary gland.

Perhaps that is just my own gullibility, but I believe it !

I question whether the amount of iodine in iodized salt would make enough difference in radiation absorption to be measurable. And if possible, how much salt over what period of time would it take to provide a measurable difference? For example, would it take a pound of salt per day to reduce radiation absorption by the amount of one dental xray? I'd be willing to bet that one's health would be impaired more by consuming the extra salt than by the increase in radiation absorption in the thyroid if one passed on it. And remember, iodine only protects one of many different radioactive isotopes.

My wife and I spoke with her parents a few nights ago. They said that the price of salt has skyrocketed, and because of demand, the shelves are empty. Jingjing hung up the phone in disbelief that there was such pandemonium.

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

Say "radiation" and everyone goes nuts. There are idiots down in California buying Geiger counters and iodine pills. There are people in Georgia buying salt pills.

I'll bet in a couple weeks you can buy all the salt you want from neighbors who just want to get rid of the stuff.

Yeah, folks go nuts down here as well. I swear I haven't seen a salt lick in a pasture around here for days. Normally, they are common place. Gotta keep those bovines properly salted. Frankly, I don't think I would want to be messin' with any half-used salt lick. You mentioned the vinegar run back in the SARS epidemic. Li and I were living in Guangdong at the time, right near ground zero for the outbreak. People were going nuts with masks and burning vinegar like crazy.