Going to the Chapel and I'm..

So, as the title implies I'm going to be marrying my love soon, next month to be exactish.

I believe we've got all the papers we'll need for that:

Me:

Marriageability Cert (from GUZ)

Passport

Need anything else?

Her:

Marriageability Cert (from?)

ID

Hukou

Am I missing anything on that list?

I know I need to make an appointment with GUZ for my certificate. For those whom have already been there and done that, how long did it take to get it? Anything I should watch out for on that part of the process? The general plan is head directly from Gz to her home town to do the deed. Is that a reasonable plan, timing wise?

After this, we'll be putting in for the CR1 nearly as soon as I get back here. From what I've read here and there we'll need the original marriage certificate they give us when we register, correct? Are there any other forms or papers that it would help to fill out and have her sign while I'm there and can hand carry them back to here?

Also plan on getting her a printer/scanner for all those forms and things we may need to print/sign/scan/whatever in the coming months.

<-- Excited :D :D :D

From what I read GUZ will issue the cert on the spot, perhaps at most an hour wait.

Wife would visit the Notary office for things like marriage cert.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/information_about_getting_married_in_china2.html

As for documents from future bride to be filed:

• Copy of marriage cert + English translation from Notary office. (USCIS just needs photo copies of these)
  • G-325A (Filled out and signed.) http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/g-325a.pdf
  • Couple 2"x2" (50mm x 50mm) passport photos
  • Photos together.

Actually more like the DMV but I digress.........

Couple things to Consider and Lessons Learned

1. You are going to need the Certificate of Marriagability translated but the International Marrigae Bureau in Shenyang did not accept the translation I had done in Dalian and insisted on doing it themselves. You might want to check on this.
  2. Your fiance will need both pages of her Houku - the first (family) page and the second (individual) page.
  3. Depending on where your wife's Houku is, you might need to go to the capital of the Province your wife's Houku is in to get married in. Though someone elso on here said they were able to do it in Shenzhen -which I believe is not a provincial capital nor an Independent city (i.e Shanghai/Beijing) but that might be the exception due to the large foreign presence. You might want to check this also.
  4. She does not need a marriagability certificate but makes sure her Houku says single - really divorced if applicable - happened to my buddy, his wife's Houku was never updated after her divorce.
  5. Cash - RMB. I have been told that the Chinese can get married for something like 8 RMB. It cost us somewhere around 1500 RMB by the time we paid for the translation of my Marriagability Certificate, my background check (no idea what they checked), an expedite fee (so we could get it done the same day), and an album of pictures taken at the bureau which I am glad we did.

If you have any other questions, PM me.

From what I read GUZ will issue the cert on the spot, perhaps at most an hour wait.

Wife would visit the Notary office for things like marriage cert.

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/information_about_getting_married_in_china2.html

As for documents from future bride to be filed:

• Copy of marriage cert + English translation from Notary office. (USCIS just needs photo copies of these)
  • G-325A (Filled out and signed.) http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/g-325a.pdf
  • Couple 2"x2" (50mm x 50mm) passport photos
  • Photos together.

Would I have to get the translation in China or is that something I could do here? We're on a very limited time schedule on this trip so things need to be well planned out, know what I mean?

We were issued our marriage certs in Wuhan - 8 RMB. Each providence is different (cost and procedures)- I'd check with your local marriage bureau and see what they will require

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

We were issued our marriage certs in Wuhan - 8 RMB. Each providence is different (cost and procedures)- I'd check with your local marriage bureau and see what they will require

We'll be getting married in Zhaoqing, Guangdong. Anyone else get married in that area?

Actually more like the DMV but I digress.........

Couple things to Consider and Lessons Learned

1. You are going to need the Certificate of Marriagability translated but the International Marrigae Bureau in Shenyang did not accept the translation I had done in Dalian and insisted on doing it themselves. You might want to check on this.
  2. Your fiance will need both pages of her Houku - the first (family) page and the second (individual) page.
  3. Depending on where your wife's Houku is, you might need to go to the capital of the Province your wife's Houku is in to get married in. Though someone elso on here said they were able to do it in Shenzhen -which I believe is not a provincial capital nor an Independent city (i.e Shanghai/Beijing) but that might be the exception due to the large foreign presence. You might want to check this also.
  4. She does not need a marriagability certificate but makes sure her Houku says single - really divorced if applicable - happened to my buddy, his wife's Houku was never updated after her divorce.
  5. Cash - RMB. I have been told that the Chinese can get married for something like 8 RMB. It cost us somewhere around 1500 RMB by the time we paid for the translation of my Marriagability Certificate, my background check (no idea what they checked), an expedite fee (so we could get it done the same day), and an album of pictures taken at the bureau which I am glad we did.

If you have any other questions, PM me.

This International Marriage Bureau you speak of, is it substantially different than where everyone else would get married?

The cash thing is no problem.

She's never been married, so that helps.

The album of pictures actually sounds kinda nice.

Just to be clear, I am specifically talking about my experience getting married in China, Dan is talking about what is needed for the I-130 which he is much more knowledgable than I.

The Marriage Bureau did an English translation of the marriage certificate for us as part of the "package"

And to answer your questions above - Yes it was different than the marriage bureau the normal Chinese go to. I was told it was called the International Marriage Bureau. The only people in there were foreigners with Chinese SO's This was in Liaoning Province but the same held true for my buddy whose wife's Houku is in Jilin Province, they had to go to Changchun. Though this may vary Province to Province.

Edited by Beachey (see edit history)

Okay, seems there is some confusion between what she is being told by people there and what is being said here. So, just to confirm. Is there any reason to believe that the Marriageability Certificate given by the Consulate in GZ would not be accepted by wherever it is that we end up having to go to get married?

Has anyone on here married someone from Guandong or known someone who has? We're on a very limited time schedule and cannot afford to lose days to confusion, know what I mean?

New question came to mind.. I'm recently divorced. I have the signed final degree in hand. It doesn't have any impressed seals or anything like that on it. Just stamps saying it was final and such. Is that "official" enough for the Marriageability Certificate or do I need to get a more official one?

New question came to mind.. I'm recently divorced. I have the signed final degree in hand. It doesn't have any impressed seals or anything like that on it. Just stamps saying it was final and such. Is that "official" enough for the Marriageability Certificate or do I need to get a more official one?

The Certificate of Marriageability is just a sworn statement that you have never been married or if you have, the marriage was ended by divorce (or death). The US Consulate has no way of knowing whether you are now or ever been married. Since Marriage licenses in the States are issued locally, how would they even check? They are just notarizing your sworn statement (technically, I don't think they are notarizing but it has the same legal weight).

I also think you don't have to wait and do it at the Consulate, you can do it in the States. I am not clear on the exact procedure to do it in the States but a State or Local government office should be able to do it for you. The Certificate of Marriageability is the US Consulate solution to the Chinese requirement that you prove you are elgible to be married. It is not the only method accepted.

We got ours in Little Rock, AR Sec of State office - we had it translated in China

I hate to ask such a silly question but I tried to read back posts and see no mention. So forget my ignorance.

How did you meet?

How long have you known each other?

How many visits have you made to china to see her?

How many actual days together have you had with her?

These are questions that the consulate might think; well, maybe they don't care about such things for deciding on issuing a visa; I could be wrong.

I am curious as to the above answers, and what is your ultimate goal in life with her?

Based on some answers above, I can tell you whether your following a successful path or not. Or just ignore me.

-- added --

Just read your recently divorce... now it gets more important. you want to be married without a visa or married with a visa? You may find that this is not like finger paint.

Edited by david_dawei (see edit history)

I also think you don't have to wait and do it at the Consulate, you can do it in the States. I am not clear on the exact procedure to do it in the States but a State or Local government office should be able to do it for you.

You can get it done stateside (I did). Here's how: write your statement that states how you are currently eligible to marry and have it notarized. Send the notarized statement to the Secretary of State's office. Your Secretary of State's office should have a section on their website that explains what to do, where to send, etc. Once you receive the statement and accompanying document back, send it to the Chinese Consulate that has jurisdiction for your state (in some cases, this is the Embassy in DC). The Consulate (or Embassy) will have instructions on their respective websites on what to do.

I also think you don't have to wait and do it at the Consulate, you can do it in the States. I am not clear on the exact procedure to do it in the States but a State or Local government office should be able to do it for you.

You can get it done stateside (I did). Here's how: write your statement that states how you are currently eligible to marry and have it notarized. Send the notarized statement to the Secretary of State's office. Your Secretary of State's office should have a section on their website that explains what to do, where to send, etc. Once you receive the statement and accompanying document back, send it to the Chinese Consulate that has jurisdiction for your state (in some cases, this is the Embassy in DC). The Consulate (or Embassy) will have instructions on their respective websites on what to do.

Aside from skipping the visit to GUZ, is there any advantage to doing it this way? Also, how long would it likely take at the Embassy? I had read that some people were having problems with people in China rejecting certs issued here in the states and that is why I was thinking of getting it at GUZ. My flight leaves for over there the middle of next month.