Buying a car

griz326

I don't know, I've always been a vette man, but that Smart car looks pretty happenin' yawl. Sucks, I bet I could drive one of them babies faster'en Ricky Bobby at Talladega....know wudda mean?

tsap seui

And, I'd be stylin' while I wuz profilin' too.

A couple of buddies have encouraged me to buy a "crash car" based on the logic that one or both of the girls will have significant (hopefully not physically significant to them) accidents as they learn to drive.

I'm almost convinced. Now I'm noodling! Which car gives the most bang for the buck after 125k miles?

Hyundai and Suzuki keep coming up.........................

A couple of buddies have encouraged me to buy a "crash car" based on the logic that one or both of the girls will have significant (hopefully not physically significant to them) accidents as they learn to drive.

I'm almost convinced. Now I'm noodling! Which car gives the most bang for the buck after 125k miles?

I was worried about big accidents at first, never happened.

I found big gas guzzling Fords/Lincolns are very cheap for the milage and quality left in the car. The nice thing is there is plenty of crush room. I started mine with a '89 T-Bird which was as heavy and safe as a Crown Vic. She dinged other cars worse than the Ford. She felt pretty inslted I put her in the big Ford, but I know another man who did the same for his wife.

Finally got her a new Nissan Altima in 08 and it has both bumpers injured and she scraped both drivers side doors in 2 incidents. No big wrecks, bt lots of dings. I think hurting the new car made her feel bad enough to learn to pay attention better. Almost all are in parking lots or some slow starting off situation.

Same logic I had for my wife, I picked up a decent 10 year old Chevy Cavalier Wagon with 75K miles for $1500 a few years back, wife learned to drive it, and did put a few dents into it so far. Next car will be something new and in better shape.

Craigslist! http://missoula.craigslist.org/cgi-bin/autos.cgi?&category=cta/

• 3 weeks later...

We bought a car over the weekend...

1996 Subaru Imprezza Outback, automatic, 165000 miles. It's in OK shape with a clean CarFax. The check engine light and the ABS brake lights are on, but engine runs nicely and the brakes work just fine...so I bought it. It is a good Montana car. While I'd like the ABS braking system to work, if it is a major fault, then the regular brakes will be just fine.

However, the girls changed their minds and now want me to buy the other car.

2001 Saturn, automatic, and everything else manual with 106000 miles. It's a better looking car, but I didn't like the sound of the engine.

The car dealer says we can close the deal on either one if I call him by tomorrow.

Any thoughts?

1996 Subaru Imprezza Outback, automatic, 165000 miles. It's in OK shape with a clean CarFax. The check engine light and the ABS brake lights are on, but engine runs nicely and the brakes work just fine...so I bought it. It is a good Montana car. While I'd like the ABS braking system to work, if it is a major fault, then the regular brakes will be just fine.

2001 Saturn, automatic, and everything else manual with 106000 miles. It's a better looking car, but I didn't like the sound of the engine.

The car dealer says we can close the deal on either one if I call him by tomorrow.

Any thoughts?

Be glad you are not in NY, having a Check-Engine light on will fail the annual inspection and would need to be corrected. In many cases it is the O2 sensor. My wife's car has failed ABS, not an issue in NY.

I would have the dealer correct the CE light prior to closing the deal, or at least plug in the diag computer and run the codes to determine what the cause of the fault, and possible cost to correct.

A few years ago my truck had the CE lamp on and off for about a year, the dealer ran the code and was not familiar with the fault, the code indicated Alcohol sensor failing, it was not until a year later when the light would not stay off that we figured out what the Alcohol sensor was for, my truck is one of two models offered in 2001 with Flex/Fuel feature, the sensor tells the computer if I am using E85 or not and adjusts Fuel Air accordingly, the truck was out way before cars started sporting the Flex/Fuel tag. Replacing that sensor was a $900 pain in the you know where.

Any thoughts?

Not that my input should count for much Griz but I vote for the Subaru. Like you said a very good Montana car. It's a great car for here in the mountains of PA also.

Good luck with either one you buy.

tsap seui

• 3 weeks later...