Tough situation - please give me advice

I studied abroad in mainland China for 4 months last fall and met my girlfriend in September. We're still dating, but now I'm studying in Hong Kong and will go back to the US and graduate college in the fall of 2012. I love my girlfriend but I'm not sure what to do. I have no job and little money since I'm still a student so I can't support her. She's 4 years older than me and graduated with a degree in Business English. We've visited each other twice this year. Should I take the plunge and bring her to the US now (9-12 months later...) by getting married (CR1) or K-1 visa? Or should I wait even longer until after I graduate? This has been driving me pretty crazy! Also, I would probably need my parents to co-sponsor my girlfriend for a (CR1) or K1 visa which would be very difficult, especially since they've never met or talked to my girlfriend before.

Any advice now is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be making some calls home, and having your girl-friend get to know your family at least over the phone.

Is it possible she could get approved for a tourist visa to the US? Or would this be next to impossible?

Anything is possible, to get a tourist visa, will need to show ties to China, and convince the interviewing officer that they is no intent to immigrate, the non-immigrant units at the consulate assume all non-immigrant visa applicants have immigrations intent and need to be shown evidence that there is no immigrations intent.

Kyle's wife then girlfriend was able to get a tourist visa, before they made the plunge and did spouse visa.

Is it possible she could get approved for a tourist visa to the US? Or would this be next to impossible?

Anything is possible, to get a tourist visa, will need to show ties to China, and convince the interviewing officer that they is no intent to immigrate, the non-immigrant units at the consulate assume all non-immigrant visa applicants have immigrations intent and need to be shown evidence that there is no immigrations intent.

Kyle's wife then girlfriend was able to get a tourist visa, before they made the plunge and did spouse visa.

Can you offer any tips for a better chance of approval? Her main tie to China is her family. However, she may move to the US in the future to live with me. Should she go in to the interview saying her motive for visiting is to see her boyfriend and her ties to China are her family and job (resort receptionist)?

Can you offer any tips for a better chance of approval? Her main tie to China is her family. However, she may move to the US in the future to live with me. Should she go in to the interview saying her motive for visiting is to see her boyfriend and her ties to China are her family and job (resort receptionist)?

A good thread to read: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=39708&view=findpost&p=528429

Thanks for the link. I think I'm going to try and go for the tourist visa. I'll try and get a letter from my parents saying she's visiting for a family reunion and have a list of events she will be doing in the US. If the application cost is about 1000 RMB, its worth a shot.

DO NOT mention her boyfriend and/or potential US family - these are visa killers.

Boyfriend isn't a tourist visa killer, at least I don't think it is. My wife then fiancee referred to me as her boyfriend. The first visa's the hardest. Following B-2's are a cakewalk

Here's my plan: I'm going to have her say that she's visiting her boyfriend and her boyfriend's family is having a family reunion that she'd like to attend. I'll have my dad send an invitation letter with a list of planned activities for her to do in the US. See any flaws in the plan or changes I should implement?

Here's my plan: I'm going to have her say that she's visiting her boyfriend and her boyfriend's family is having a family reunion that she'd like to attend. I'll have my dad send an invitation letter with a list of planned activities for her to do in the US. See any flaws in the plan or changes I should implement?

I can relate some bad experience.

My wife and I were not yet married at the time, but had planned to marry in May.

January my son (20) was diagnosed with terminal cancer.

We asked for a visa so she could meet him before he died, and it was denied.

Sounds fine to me

Are you planning on going back to China with her? If you are, this shouldn't be a overly difficult task

DO NOT mention her boyfriend and/or potential US family - these are visa killers.

A friend of mine tried to get a Visa for his girlfriend, she was denied because she did not have a job (she did have the money and property). She then mentioned her American boyfriend and she was 'double denied' - whatever that means. I have been told the 'un'official criteria is you have to have a good job, at least 50000 RMB in a bank account, and own property.

It appears the people who have been successful in getting a B1/B2 are those who have had previous Visa's to the US prior to the relationship.

It is problaby worth a shot but I would try to downplay the relationship while remaining truthful so that if you decide to go for the K1/CR1 there isn't any inconsistency in the story.