CHINESE L AND V VISAS

Reddragon75

Not sure if this is in the right forum...but here goes.......

I am graduating from college this Summer and will to go to China to be with my wife until USCIS makes a decision for our petition.

I hope to get a job teaching English while there. Does anyone know if I would be able to go there on an L visa as a visitor and find a job and change to a Z visa?

I have searched all over the internet trying to find an answer and I have found conflicting answers. Some say it is not possible at all to change from L to Z, and other sources have said that it is possible to do so but that I would have to go to Hong Kong while the Z visa is processing.

I realize that it would just be easier to get a job lined up and get the Z visa before I go, but it is possible I may have to leave China briefly and then return. I saw on the Chinese Consulate website that it is possible to get a multiple or double entry L visa, but a Z visa is only a single entry. So, I was hoping I could go there on a double entry L visa initally in case I have to return home briefly, and then after returning to China on the L visa getting a job and getting a Z visa.

I am hoping there are some members here who have been teaching or have taught English in China and maybe have gone through this situation.

Can anyone please help me?! I don't know what to do.

I saw on the Chinese Consulate website that it is possible to get a multiple or double entry L visa, but a Z visa is only a single entry.

I can't answer all your questions but the reason the Z visa is single entry is you are required within 30 days to get a residence and work permit. My Z visa actually list 0 days as duration of stay. Once I got a residence permit, they stamped the Z visa cancelled.

Once you have a residence permit, you can come and go as you want. My residence permits have been good for one year.

I lived and worked in China for five years or so. I was there on a Z visa and each time I left the country (or went to Hong Kong or Macau), I had to get a "re-entry permit." In those days, late 90's through 2003, it cost about 250 rmb. Probably more now. It is possible, at least it used to be, to get a multiple entry stamp on your Z visa. If you get a teaching job in China, your school should have a FAO (Foreign Affairs Officer) and he or she can handle all of this for you. If your school doesn't have one, I don't know exactly what you need to do. My FAO always took care of my visa issues. Perhaps some of the members currently living in China can be of more help and have more up to date info. Good luck and best wishes with your visa application.

I saw on the Chinese Consulate website that it is possible to get a multiple or double entry L visa, but a Z visa is only a single entry.

I can't answer all your questions but the reason the Z visa is single entry is you are required within 30 days to get a residence and work permit. My Z visa actually list 0 days as duration of stay. Once I got a residence permit, they stamped the Z visa cancelled.

Once you have a residence permit, you can come and go as you want. My residence permits have been good for one year.

This is exactly correct, except that the L visa works just as well. I entered on an L visa, and got the residence and work permits.

This is exactly correct, except that the L visa works just as well. I entered on an L visa, and got the residence and work permits.

Interesting.. how did that happen? Sponsorship or something?