In the Beginning...

Hello everyone.. I've been reading the site for a while and it is now finally time to start the process for us.

First, I apologize for what may end up being a bit of a brain dump. I've been mulling a post over in my head for a bit trying to get it into order and am having no luck. I may come back and clean this up later...

And speaking of brains.. trying to pull all the information from different places together into one spot makes my head hurt.. So.. here are some questions to get things started...

1. I've read time lines of various length and had the impression that the average CR1 was taking around 6 - 8 months from start to finish. Recently though, I've read other things that put that into doubt. Is 6 - 8 months a reasonable approximation of how long it may take or am I nuts? Of course, that presumes no serious issues either here or at Guz.

2. Until recently I've been married on paper. That is to say the divorce was in progress. I've been concerned that may cause problems for us. From what I've read on here and else where, we can deal with issues of that nature with a Evolution of Relationship (EOR) letter. I seem to recall someone else on the site had a similar issue and would love to hear from them.

3. We've known each other online for a long time, first as friends and then as more. We first met in person slightly more than a year ago. Since that time, I've been over there four times and will be going over there a fifth time soon. I'd be going more, but I keep running out of vacation time.

4. I asked her to marry me back in November and we plan on getting married on the next trip.

5. I've met her family and we've gone to see them every trip, aside from the first two. They seem to accept me and even like me. Her dad makes amazing fish.

6. We've got around 1500 pictures from the trips so far, no idea how many are of us together or are of everything else.

7. There is a slight age difference between us, her 23 to my 32. That isn't too much to be a concern, is it?

8. Of the major red flags that I know of, none of them apply to her. No CCCP, no Fuijan (what's up with that anyway?), no kids. What other ones should we look out for?

9. Speaking of red flags... my Chinese is non-existent. I know what she's taught me. Thankfully, her English is far better than she gives herself credit for. Which is to say that we use English exclusively, for now, to communicate and only ever really have problems with colloquial expressions. I explain them and then she understands.

10. We chat or talk every day. I asked QQ to dump all the messages into a file. It responded "Are you nuts?" and quit. How do you guys decide what to include and what not to include? It may sound like a simple question, but what it did dump out was over 1700 pages and that was just QQ. Says nothing for Skype, or the like 800 text messages..

11. Assuming nothing happens between then and now, I won't need a co-sponsor.

Hmmm... a lot of those weren't questions after all..

I'm sure I've forgotten more that I wanted to say than I actually said. I'll have to come back and clean this up when it isn't midnight..

I noticed that there is a chat function on the site, but I've also noticed it always seems to be empty. Is there an IRC room somewhere or something? If not, it sounds like a pretty good idea to me. What does everyone else think?

Thanks for reading my rambling post...

Hello everyone.. I've been reading the site for a while and it is now finally time to start the process for us.

First, I apologize for what may end up being a bit of a brain dump. I've been mulling a post over in my head for a bit trying to get it into order and am having no luck. I may come back and clean this up later...

And speaking of brains.. trying to pull all the information from different places together into one spot makes my head hurt.. So.. here are some questions to get things started...

1. I've read time lines of various length and had the impression that the average CR1 was taking around 6 - 8 months from start to finish. Recently though, I've read other things that put that into doubt. Is 6 - 8 months a reasonable approximation of how long it may take or am I nuts? Of course, that presumes no serious issues either here or at Guz.There have been somew recent changes with the NVC wich appear to slow it down a bit now, plus, all of the USCIS service centers report taking 5 months (my wife is sittting in limbo at 7 3/4 months). Just plan on it taking you10 to 13 months and if you get it quicker....celebrate!!!

2. Until recently I've been married on paper. That is to say the divorce was in progress. I've been concerned that may cause problems for us. From what I've read on here and else where, we can deal with issues of that nature with a Evolution of Relationship (EOR) letter. I seem to recall someone else on the site had a similar issue and would love to hear from them. IT's luck of the draw. Some people luck out when filing a petition within a couple of months of a divorce. Yes, you could write a strong EOR letter and send it in with the application.

3. We've known each other online for a long time, first as friends and then as more. We first met in person slightly more than a year ago. Since that time, I've been over there four times and will be going over there a fifth time soon. I'd be going more, but I keep running out of vacation time. The more trips, the better and stronger evidence and case.

4. I asked her to marry me back in November and we plan on getting married on the next trip. Get married by all means on the next trip. To be safe (and I know you don't want to hear this) wait a few months, maybe 6, before you file an I-130.

5. I've met her family and we've gone to see them every trip, aside from the first two. They seem to accept me and even like me. Her dad makes amazing fish. Get plenty of photos of you and the family together.

6. We've got around 1500 pictures from the trips so far, no idea how many are of us together or are of everything else. Send in photos of you two together and as many of you and the family together as you can....plus any parties, wedding party, engagement party, etc. with friends. You can have a family get together and call that your engagement party.

7. There is a slight age difference between us, her 23 to my 32. That isn't too much to be a concern, is it? Not a concern at all really.

8. Of the major red flags that I know of, none of them apply to her. No CCCP, no Fuijan (what's up with that anyway?), no kids. What other ones should we look out for? Just the divorce date and timing of your application.

9. Speaking of red flags... my Chinese is non-existent. I know what she's taught me. Thankfully, her English is far better than she gives herself credit for. Which is to say that we use English exclusively, for now, to communicate and only ever really have problems with colloquial expressions. I explain them and then she understands. Prepare her english for the interview questions. YOu can find 100 of them up above in the FAQ's plus your "wife" can study on 001. You two can spend lots of Skype and QQ time with you playing visa officer. Work work work on those questions.

10. We chat or talk every day. I asked QQ to dump all the messages into a file. It responded "Are you nuts?" and quit. How do you guys decide what to include and what not to include? It may sound like a simple question, but what it did dump out was over 1700 pages and that was just QQ. Says nothing for Skype, or the like 800 text messages..One or two per month11. Assuming nothing happens between then and now, I won't need a co-sponsor.

Hmmm... a lot of those weren't questions after all..

I'm sure I've forgotten more that I wanted to say than I actually said. I'll have to come back and clean this up when it isn't midnight.. Ask away, I can guarantee you we've got more answers than you have questions.

I noticed that there is a chat function on the site, but I've also noticed it always seems to be empty. Is there an IRC room somewhere or something? If not, it sounds like a pretty good idea to me. What does everyone else think?

Thanks for reading my rambling post...

Good luck, ask many questions, be patient, work hard on the interview questions.

tsap seui

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

There were some things I may not have been clear about in the last post. That will teach me to post after midnight, no?

At the time we file the I-130, Sue and I will have been a couple for just under a year and a half and engaged for just under six months. That being the case, what would be the point of waiting six months after we got married to put in the I-130? Would it just be to separate the divorce from the I-130?

We've been very conscious to take pictures of all of us together, and in the same place. I wish we could send videos. A friend of mine from here went with me on the last trip and we made sure to get pictures of all of us together. He wanted to go and I figured it couldn't hurt to show she's met some, or at least one, of my friends even though I can't get her here yet.

What is "001"?

On the subject of bonafides... We've an apartment in Tangxia together.. I'll be putting her on the house and checking account after we're married.. She's on my Paypal account and has her own debit card from them.. I already mentioned our extensive chat logs and pictures and what not..

I've thought and thought and thought and the only real negatives I can come up with is the divorce and everything that has to do with it...

I am, of course, hoping that it doesn't take much more than 6 - 8 months, while being prepared for it taking 10 - 13... much longer than that and I'll probably move to HK or Gz, depending on where I can get a job. I won't be apart from her if I can avoid it. Hell, the only reason I'm not making the move now is I haven't had much luck with a job there yet.

Is there some place to read up things with all the information in one spot? I've found some stuff on Vj and here, but it's scattered or in some cases clearly out of date.

6 to 8 months??? It takes about that amount of time to get through USCIS recently.

At the NVC stage, Optn for the Electronic Process with GUZ can knock off months at that stage.

Do not expect an honest answer from any one in government, USCIS, NVC, DOS, Congressman, etc.....

Expect the worse from Guz, and hope for the best.

What is said to be requirements, and what is the "real" requirements are two different things...

Best of Luck...Bob...

There were some things I may not have been clear about in the last post. That will teach me to post after midnight, no?

At the time we file the I-130, Sue and I will have been a couple for just under a year and a half and engaged for just under six months. That being the case, what would be the point of waiting six months after we got married to put in the I-130? Would it just be to separate the divorce from the I-130?

We've been very conscious to take pictures of all of us together, and in the same place. I wish we could send videos. A friend of mine from here went with me on the last trip and we made sure to get pictures of all of us together. He wanted to go and I figured it couldn't hurt to show she's met some, or at least one, of my friends even though I can't get her here yet.

What is "001"?

On the subject of bonafides... We've an apartment in Tangxia together.. I'll be putting her on the house and checking account after we're married.. She's on my Paypal account and has her own debit card from them.. I already mentioned our extensive chat logs and pictures and what not..

I've thought and thought and thought and the only real negatives I can come up with is the divorce and everything that has to do with it...

I am, of course, hoping that it doesn't take much more than 6 - 8 months, while being prepared for it taking 10 - 13... much longer than that and I'll probably move to HK or Gz, depending on where I can get a job. I won't be apart from her if I can avoid it. Hell, the only reason I'm not making the move now is I haven't had much luck with a job there yet.

Is there some place to read up things with all the information in one spot? I've found some stuff on Vj and here, but it's scattered or in some cases clearly out of date.

Marriage takes one day - you can file the next. The requirement is that you have LIVED there for 6 months, not necessarily married.

A comment - too much financial exchange can work against you for a fiance visa - DON'T emphasize this if you go that route.

edit: Never mind the 6 month residency - on re-reading, I see you're not talking about DCF.

\

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

What is "001"?

Marriage takes one day - you can file the next. The requirement is that you have LIVED there for 6 months, not necessarily married.

A comment - too much financial exchange can work against you for a fiance visa - DON'T emphasize this if you go that route.

edit: Never mind the 6 month residency - on re-reading, I see you're not talking about DCF.

\

I wish it was DCF. I'd be with her and everything I've read indicates that process is best measured in days vice being best measured in months and months and months and months...

Is it hard to get a job there? lol

Edited by foobaz123 (see edit history)

6 to 8 months??? It takes about that amount of time to get through USCIS recently.

At the NVC stage, Optn for the Electronic Process with GUZ can knock off months at that stage.

Do not expect an honest answer from any one in government, USCIS, NVC, DOS, Congressman, etc.....

Expect the worse from Guz, and hope for the best.

What is said to be requirements, and what is the "real" requirements are two different things...

Best of Luck...Bob...

Yeah, that's what I've been reading lately. That despite the official number of "5 months or less" it was actually taking far more than that in many cases. Though I've also read cases where it wasn't so bad. Random causes, I'm sure.

001 = http://usa.bbs.net/bbs/01/index.html (Similar to Candle only in Chinese, many of the intending immigrants over in China frequent that site)

One thing you may learn about your hunny, is if she is a member of that site, and uses it often, then whatever is said over there MUST BE TRUE!

001 = http://usa.bbs.net/bbs/01/index.html (Similar to Candle only in Chinese, many of the intending immigrants over in China frequent that site)

One thing you may learn about your hunny, is if she is a member of that site, and uses it often, then whatever is said over there MUST BE TRUE!

lol. I wonder if that is where she's been reading some of the things she's told me about. I sent her a link to this site and this weekend I'll suggest she registers on here. She has said some things from time to time that must be true!!

That reminds me.. while I'm tossing out questions we tried for a visitor's visa way back in the March 2010, I think, time frame and she was shockingly denied.

Two things come to mind.. the first, even though it isn't supposed to reflect on a CR-1 visa application has anyone ever had such a thing brought up? The second, is there any point at all to trying for another one for a short visit while we wait? We have a lease on an apartment and she has a full time job, neither of which we had the first time, and some money in the bank. If we did this, we'd boost the money in the bank (by having her save even more of her paycheck up, not by my sending her tons of extra). We'd also be sure to have a letter from her employer saying she can go from period X to Y and when she is expected back. Her employer is a large company over there, LAMEX, for whatever good that would do.

In short, even with all that, is there even a point in trying and is there a chance that a failure on that could cause problems with an impending CR-1?

Last thing, I've been reading over on VJ that a I-129F being sent along with or after a I-130 can actually do more harm than good at this point. Does anyone have experience with sending both or sending only the one to compare and contrast?

That reminds me.. while I'm tossing out questions we tried for a visitor's visa way back in the March 2010, I think, time frame and she was shockingly denied.

Two things come to mind.. the first, even though it isn't supposed to reflect on a CR-1 visa application has anyone ever had such a thing brought up? The second, is there any point at all to trying for another one for a short visit while we wait? We have a lease on an apartment and she has a full time job, neither of which we had the first time, and some money in the bank. If we did this, we'd boost the money in the bank (by having her save even more of her paycheck up, not by my sending her tons of extra). We'd also be sure to have a letter from her employer saying she can go from period X to Y and when she is expected back. Her employer is a large company over there, LAMEX, for whatever good that would do.

In short, even with all that, is there even a point in trying and is there a chance that a failure on that could cause problems with an impending CR-1?

Last thing, I've been reading over on VJ that a I-129F being sent along with or after a I-130 can actually do more harm than good at this point. Does anyone have experience with sending both or sending only the one to compare and contrast?

Two answer questions.

A Denial for a tourist visa will have no barring on an Immigrant visa, unless the reason for denial of the non-immigrant visa will also be an inadmissibility issue for immigrant visa, for example: Being a drug addict.

As for I-129F filing for a K-3, forget about it.

K-3 served only one function, it was derived at a time when I-130 was taking years to get approved, however now since I-130 is approved at same time as I-129F the function of K-3 (Entry to USA and WAITING for I-130 approval) no longer exists, so NVC kills the K-3 in favor of the superior CR-1 or IR-1 visa. K-3 was a band-aid for problems at USCIS centers in the USA. Filing the I-129F in fact will slow down the I-130 processing while the adjudicating officer at the center pulled the I-130 out of the queue to attach the I-129F petition to it, and then places the two petitions together into a different queue.

More: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=40925

Similar topic from a different member: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42995

Two answer questions.

A Denial for a tourist visa will have no barring on an Immigrant visa, unless the reason for denial of the non-immigrant visa will also be an inadmissibility issue for immigrant visa, for example: Being a drug addict.

As for I-129F filing for a K-3, forget about it.

K-3 served only one function, it was derived at a time when I-130 was taking years to get approved, however now since I-130 is approved at same time as I-129F the function of K-3 (Entry to USA and WAITING for I-130 approval) no longer exists, so NVC kills the K-3 in favor of the superior CR-1 or IR-1 visa. K-3 was a band-aid for problems at USCIS centers in the USA. Filing the I-129F in fact will slow down the I-130 processing while the adjudicating officer at the center pulled the I-130 out of the queue to attach the I-129F petition to it, and then places the two petitions together into a different queue.

More: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=40925

Similar topic from a different member: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42995

Got it. That makes sense on the I-129F thing.

She was denied for "insufficient ties". Given they didn't look at any of the evidence, clearly they used their psychic powers to determine that she had no ties.

It must be said that at the time the case was somewhat weak. She had just graduated from University and didn't have a job yet. It's been a year since then and she's been at her current job for nearly a year now and of course we have the lease on the apartment and more money in the bank. However, she's still 23 and not yet a millionaire.

That being the case, is it pointless to try for the visitor visa sometime around July or August for a short visit? Trying to stretch my vacation time after all.

She was denied for "insufficient ties". Given they didn't look at any of the evidence, clearly they used their psychic powers to determine that she had no ties.

It must be said that at the time the case was somewhat weak. She had just graduated from University and didn't have a job yet. It's been a year since then and she's been at her current job for nearly a year now and of course we have the lease on the apartment and more money in the bank. However, she's still 23 and not yet a millionaire.

That being the case, is it pointless to try for the visitor visa sometime around July or August for a short visit? Trying to stretch my vacation time after all.

The same denial reason WILL be thrown up by the NON-Immigrant Visa unit, "Insufficient Ties" more so since there may be an I-130 in process, this shows more ties to the USA, than to China, and shows immigrations intent. The NIV unit assumes immigrations intent unless proven otherwise.

Is easier for US Citizen to travel to China for a visit than the other way around.

The same denial reason WILL be thrown up by the NON-Immigrant Visa unit, "Insufficient Ties" more so since there may be an I-130 in process, this shows more ties to the USA, than to China, and shows immigrations intent. The NIV unit assumes immigrations intent unless proven otherwise.

Is easier for US Citizen to travel to China for a visit than the other way around.

That is also what I was afraid of. Only downside is it's easier for her to get time off from work than it is for me. My company has been extremely good to me and generous in this area, but there are limits and they don't allow time off without pay.