Have Notarial Certificate of Passport

Hello,

I've tried to find this information by searching but am having no luck. I have a notarial certificate of my wife's passport and need to get it ready for the W-7 so I can file a joint tax return. Would someone either point me to the post where it explains or explain so I can get this done. Thank you for the help

I had read that thread, but reread to make sure. It references a post by Dan which explains the process of the notarial certificate copy of the passport and getting it ready for the IRS. I can not find that thread. I was hoping to either find it so I could go about getting it done.

One way of getting it.....

I had my wife send me her passport. I got it safely in less than 5 days.

I took the passport to a notary, she copied it and notarized five copies for me.

Pretty simple.

Good luck

tsap seui

One way of getting it.....

I had my wife send me her passport. I got it safely in less than 5 days.

I took the passport to a notary, she copied it and notarized five copies for me.

Pretty simple.

Good luck

tsap seui

That's correct, what is needed is a certified copy, most notarys in the USA will notarize a copy of something if they can see the original and copy.

Notary offices in China do not serv the same function as notarys in the USA the notary office in China is for producing official records like birth cert, marriage cert, no marriage cert, divorce cert, etc..

I do not want to try and mail her passport back and forth as we both have tried to mail letters in November 2010 and they still have not been received. I do not want to lose her passport as it does have stamps where we have been together. I already have a notarial certificate and saw a reference to being able to use it but you have to do something to it. I just can't find what to do with it. Thank you for the responses.

Filing Jointly While Your Spouse is in China or Otherwise Ineligible for an SSN

You will need an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (
ITIN
). See

IRS
issues ITINs to foreign nationals and others who have federal tax reporting or filing requirements and do not qualify for SSNs. A non-resident alien individual not eligible for a
SSN
, who is required to file a U.S. tax return only to claim a refund of tax under the provisions of a U.S. tax treaty, needs an
ITIN

Documents acceptable for identification include the passport, or two of the other documents listed at
(e.g., National ID, driver's license, birth certificate). Note that these must be the original documents, or notarized copies.
Since China is not a party to the Hague Convention, a copy of the document must be notarized either at a Consulate, or here in the
US
Originals may be mailed in (they will be returned, although this is not recommended), or may be taken to an
IRS
office.

Apply using Form
W-7
, which must be attached to an income tax return and mailed to the
ITIN
Operation Service Center in Austin, TX. Use this address for both the
W-7
and the return instead of the one listed in the instruction book.

I do not want to try and mail her passport back and forth as we both have tried to mail letters in November 2010 and they still have not been received. I do not want to lose her passport as it does have stamps where we have been together. I already have a notarial certificate and saw a reference to being able to use it but you have to do something to it. I just can't find what to do with it. Thank you for the responses.

I can understand your concern on sending a passport one way. My wife did it with express mail and I got it in less than five days. I will take it back with me in May when I go back....not like she is going to need it for anything.

YOu can get the passport certified in CHina. Have her go to a consulate and get it done there. Or You can travel over and get it done yourself, since if they let your wife in to the consulate she may send the copy to you and you never get it with her mail system.

When we thought about doing it Chinese style with the white book we saw that a white book now costs more than a new passport.

The decision became very easy.

tsap seui