CR-1 (DCF) with CCP on the record

Does he even need to file the I-864 with the I-130? Isn't that part of the P3 package? We just filed the the 2 G-325A with the I-130.

Is there an advantage to filing the I-864 now?

You are doing alright. You need to wait for further instructions from the consulate. I-130 petition is sperated from I-864.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he's going the DCF route, he'll submit his I864 when he goes to Guangzhou

Does he even need to file the I-864 with the I-130? Isn't that part of the P3 package? We just filed the the 2 G-325A with the I-130.

Is there an advantage to filing the I-864 now?

In the OP's case they have already filed the I-130 to Beijing, and are preparing for the interview that will result in a few months from now. Makes sence to prepare this stuff at this time.

But yes, the affidavit of support is not filed with petition.

OK, so before I send things out, here's what I have included:

COMPLETED:

1. I-130 application

2. G-325a for myself (4 copies)

3. G-325a for Tata (4 copies)

4. Passport copies for myself (bio page, visa pages, stamped pages)

5. Passport copy for Tata (only the bio page, because it's new)

6. Chinese Marriage Certificate - certified copy from Gong Zheng Chu

7. English-translated Marriage Certificate - certified copy from Gong Zheng Chu

8. Printed pictures proving our relationship over the past year

WAITING FOR:

9. Copies of signed affidavits from my parents and our friends (in English). QUESTION: Should these be notarized? My family and friends in America can do this without any trouble, but getting something notarized in China is a bit more difficult. Does this matter?

10. Evolution of Relationship letter - I haven't written this yet. How long should this be? How much detail should I go into?

Am I missing anything? Should I add or subtract anything?

You do not need four copies of g325a. Only one is needed for the new version of the form. Make sure to take the originals as well (marriage certs-red books, passports, etc). They will want to see them before taking the copies. I'd go ahead and include some pictures if you have them. My folks/family/friends had letters notarized in the states and sent them over to China. The consulate accepted the US notary stamps (like what you'd find at a stateside bank). Again, they first wanted to see the originals before accepting any copies. The EOR letter is a lot more important if you/her have been previously married before. You can do a CFL/Google search for "EOR Letter"

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fcandleforlove.com+EOR+Letter

Here's the deal. The more information you include when turning in the I-130, the more eyes are going to have a chance to see it by the time you get to your interview. Jingjing and I provided a lot of information that wasn't really required in the front end but it made the interview itself a cakewalk. Pictures, financial documents - such as joint assets, bank accounts, retirement accounts, etc, letters of you looking for work in the States, or if you have a job already lined up, information about that, you get the picture . . .

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

OK, great. Right now, we don't have a bank account together because we're living in China and we're not actually sure we CAN have a joint account here. Would it be possible to open up a joint account or add her to my account in America, while we are living in China now?

I'm going to request my landlord to add her name to my lease. Hopefully that'll help as well.

Tata actually just got back from the Gong Zheng Chu now, and she showed me the paperwork. On the marriage certificate form, they have two blanks listed for "name". Chinese name and English name. Her English name includes 3 names, one of which is my last name. So, this married name will be on our marriage certificate, along with her Chinese name. For our forms, should I list her English name then? That way, it would show up on her green card when she gets it. I could list her Chinese name as her maiden name. What are your thoughts?

OK, great. Right now, we don't have a bank account together because we're living in China and we're not actually sure we CAN have a joint account here. Would it be possible to open up a joint account or add her to my account in America, while we are living in China now?

I'm going to request my landlord to add her name to my lease. Hopefully that'll help as well.

Tata actually just got back from the Gong Zheng Chu now, and she showed me the paperwork. On the marriage certificate form, they have two blanks listed for "name". Chinese name and English name. Her English name includes 3 names, one of which is my last name. So, this married name will be on our marriage certificate, along with her Chinese name. For our forms, should I list her English name then? That way, it would show up on her green card when she gets it. I could list her Chinese name as her maiden name. What are your thoughts?

Explain "English Name"

You mean Pinyin spelling of name?

My wife's maiden name was Yang Yu and Married name is Yu Yang Noblett Is this what you mean?

For your I-130 form, it should be her name (Chinese characters and Pinyin) on her valid passport, which comes from her name on Hukou. If you want to change it to her married name in I-130, you need to update her passport first!

Let Gongzhengchu accepts her married name, she may need to change her name to her married name on her Hukou first. Her name on Hukou is the evidence for marriage certificate, police certificate and birth certificate.

Her other name Tata, Jasmine Tata Kirkhoff can not used for the petition and visa.

Edited by xiaozhu (see edit history)

In the Chinese Culture, the wife typically does not change her name. I think it is easier if you just use her Chinese (Pinyin/Character) name on all documents. I don't think it is any form of red flag if she is not using yours. Once you get to the States, it is relatively simple to add your name or Americanize her first name if she so chooses. I think I was looking at a Green Card application where they specifically ask if you want to change your name for probalby exactly this reason, a desire to 'Americanize' your name. And if you can't do it there, in my home state it is ~$450 to file a name change with the court.

Edited by Beachey (see edit history)

We used my wife's pinyin name on her petition, however, you can put your married name on your petition, and under other names used, add her full name in Chinese. If you do it this way, her green card will reflect her married name. What are the positives of this? Well, if it's that important to her to have your name she can have it put on her green card without the additional cost of changing her name. This is useful if she will want her married name on a US drivers licence, or other form of ID in the States. If you do not do this, and she decides later to take your last name legally, she'll have to pay a new biometric fee and all of that jazz (and no, it's not cheap) or, I believe she'll have an opportunity to change her name during the citizenship process if she so chooses. I think Dan's wife is going through that in the near future (although she might not be changing her name). I suspect he'd know about that one. I alot of people, I think add the married name and move the Chinese surname as her middle name. We didn't. We just left everything as is. After reading all of this, I'm hopeful that I am recalling information correctly that I've read on CFL.

This was taken from the instructions for I-130:

"What If Your Name Has Changed?

If either you or the person you are filing for is using a name other than shown on the relevant documents, you must fie your petition with copies of the legal documents that effected the change, such as a marriage certificate, adoption decree or court order."

From this, I gather that if Tata's English name shows up on our marriage certificate, it would be safe to use her married name instead of her pinyin maiden name. We'll pick up the Marriage Certificate on Thursday!

--Curt