Change in A# number

Hi Guys,

When filling out the paperwork for AOS, advanced parole, and work authorization we used the A# provided on the K1 visa NOA2 (which also was the same number hand written on the back of the I-94 in her passport).

Upon receipt of the NOA1¡¯s for AOS, AP and EAD, the AP and EAD have the same A# from the K1 visa paperwork.

BUT the A# on the AOS NOA1 is different, and entirely new number!

Is this normal to have a new A# generated? Please advise on how we should proceed. Who should we call?

Many thanks,

John

Hi Guys,

When filling out the paperwork for AOS, advanced parole, and work authorization we used the A# provided on the K1 visa NOA2 (which also was the same number hand written on the back of the I-94 in her passport).

Upon receipt of the NOA1¡¯s for AOS, AP and EAD, the AP and EAD have the same A# from the K1 visa paperwork.

BUT the A# on the AOS NOA1 is different, and entirely new number!

Is this normal to have a new A# generated? Please advise on how we should proceed. Who should we call?

Many thanks,

John

Yes it happens, I would not try figuring out USCIS, AP/EAD are handled by the National Benefits center, Adjustment of status tends to be handled elseware and they may have simply assigned another file number.

I would leave it be.

Thanks Dan for the prompt response. We were concerned that this could lead to troubles down the road, your explanation seems very logical. Hopefully I can convince her to "let this ride" or "simmer" for a while.....

John

Yep, give it 4 months, typical AOS can take 4-6 months to process.

YES IT HAS CAUSED PROBLEMS (assuming you're talking about the A# - A followed by 9 digits, and NOT the receipt # - three letters such as MSC, followed by a sequence of numbers)

Bill (member name Izus) and his wife were derailed by this for several months until they mada an InfoPass appointment and got it straightened out.

An A# should be UNIQUE for each alien - more than one MAY indicate that your information is kept in more than one file - make an InfoPass appointment NOW to straighten this out. They may not otherwise be able to the information they need to process your application.

Adjustment of status tends to be handled elseware and they may have simply assigned another file number.

This statement should scare you - they MUST be able to cross-reference your applications.

YES IT HAS CAUSED PROBLEMS (assuming you're talking about the A# - A followed by 9 digits, and NOT the receipt # - three letters such as MSC, followed by a sequence of numbers)

Bill (member name Izus) and his wife were derailed by this for several months until they mada an InfoPass appointment and got it straightened out.

An A# should be UNIQUE for each alien - more than one MAY indicate that your information is kept in more than one file - make an InfoPass appointment NOW to straighten this out. They may not otherwise be able to the information they need to process your application.

Adjustment of status tends to be handled elseware and they may have simply assigned another file number.

This statement should scare you - they MUST be able to cross-reference your applications.

Good point, then perhaps a visit to the field office and asking about this may be prudent.

http://infopass.uscis.gov/

Yes it is THE 9 digit USCIS Alien Registration number. It is frustrating that it is different only on the I-797C NOA for the AOS....

Really there is no other way than taking time off of work and driving my Lao Po to the field office???

Does not seem to be the most convenient way.... but that statement in its self seems like irony for this whole process.... Why should it be easy???

Your help and suggestions are truly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

In my previous round, we ended up with 2 A# for the K1 / AOS process... and it caused problems. Let's say I was lucky that I had all possible documents on hand at the AOS interview as they were convinced she never had the biometrics. I dug through the papers and found the document they stamped and he accepted it; then saw it was messed up due to a second A#. I would at least make an infopass and try to get their advice or correction.

Thank you all. We called the 800 number listed on the NOA 797C and promptly talked to a real person. We are to be contacted by our local office within 30 days in regards to this. Hopefully this will be resolved quickly and painlessly.

FYI, if you as the Petitioner calls the the USCIS 800 number, the Applicant (beneficiary) must be present during the phone call too.

John

Edited by rongnjohn (see edit history)