Chinese Consulate of San Francisco

Hello everyone,

I have been on the Candle for Love for awhile and now it seems like fate and destiny as finally found me. So earlier this year I went to the Chinese Consulate website in San Francisco. They have a document section where you can download various documents. Well I recently downloaded Affidavit of a Single Person. The document is in 2 parts the top part is completely in Chinese and the bottom part is completely in English. So I filled out the bottom part got it notarized and then sent it to California Secretary of State for authentication and recently got it back. My question is when I go to the Chinese Consulate in San Francisco do I have to have the top part filled out or will they accept the notarized, authenticated English portion of the form? I don't see why not but I talked to a lawyer and he said that sometimes a Chinese marriage registration office may not accept the Chinese Consulate document. Can anyone confirm ever of hearing that kind of situation? I asking because next month in March I am flying to Wuhan and will be getting married but I want to make sure that I have all the proper documents that will be accepted by marriage registry. Thanks for for time, help, advice and patience.

Sincerely,

Troy

I married in Wuhan as well. If I remember correctly, I received my affidavit of single status from my state's sec of state office. I took that document to China where I had it translated in Hankou. I do not remember the exact name of the office but if you call 114 and ask for ÃûÖ¤¾Ý they will give you the phone number. After receiving the translated document in Wuhan, we went to the marriage bureau and tied the knot.

Another option is to visit US consulate or embassy in China and apply for the single doc at American Citizen Services.

For example If I were doing this, I would lay over 1 day in Shanghai on my inbound flight and do it there.

http://shanghai.usembassy-china.org.cn/marriage_in_china.html

http://beijing.usembassy-china.org.cn/service.html

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/information_about_getting_married_in_china2.html

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I have been on the Candle for Love for awhile and now it seems like fate and destiny as finally found me. So earlier this year I went to the Chinese Consulate website in San Francisco. They have a document section where you can download various documents. Well I recently downloaded Affidavit of a Single Person. The document is in 2 parts the top part is completely in Chinese and the bottom part is completely in English. So I filled out the bottom part got it notarized and then sent it to California Secretary of State for authentication and recently got it back. My question is when I go to the Chinese Consulate in San Francisco do I have to have the top part filled out or will they accept the notarized, authenticated English portion of the form? I don't see why not but I talked to a lawyer and he said that sometimes a Chinese marriage registration office may not accept the Chinese Consulate document. Can anyone confirm ever of hearing that kind of situation? I asking because next month in March I am flying to Wuhan and will be getting married but I want to make sure that I have all the proper documents that will be accepted by marriage registry. Thanks for for time, help, advice and patience.

Sincerely,

Troy

Here is what I did since I also live in the Chinese Consulate in SF's jurisdiction. I looked at what the single status affidavit on their website said and paraphrased it when I wrote my own statement using my own format. I had it notarized and then sent it to the Secretary of State's Office for my State and they sent it back with a certificate. I then followed the consulate's instructions to the letter for mail service and received my document back from the consulate with an authentication.

When we went to the marriage bureau in Wuhan, we were sent to a translation office to have my documents translated; afterward we took pictures for the red book they will give you and then returned to the office made it official.

Congratulations and best wishes!