Hello friends, I have not been here for a while, but I am here looking for some help for a friend of my wife. She is here K-3, and they have received an AOS appointment date(Feb), less than 30 days before their 2 year anniversary(March), is it possible to reschedule so they can get the 10 year green card? How would they go about this? Thanks, Mike & Yizhen

K-3 AOS?? I thought you went to all the trouble to get I-130 moved through NVC and then interviewed for a CR-1 Spouse visa after getting a K-3?

Anyway, I have seen some get interview rescheduled for a later date, but I have also seen people get into trouble when the field office fails to note the date change, and then makes note that there was a no-show at the first appointment time.

Appointment letter should give you instructions as to procedure for rescheduling an interview. Keep in mind they may want a solid reason for the postponement.

Hello Dan, we did, we got the 10 year card in July 2009, we are trying to help a friend of my wife. Do they get an info pass appointment and try to change the date? Do they try to change the date at the NVC? They live here in Chicago, and would like to avoid the expense and inconvenience of having to remove conditions. I told them I thought the only way was to change the appointment date. I would like to know if this is reasonable? Thanks, Mike and Yizhen

Is this a good reason for the appointment change?

Edited by mikepellicore (see edit history)

Hello Dan, we did, we got the 10 year card in July 2009, we are trying to help a friend of my wife. Do they get an info pass appointment and try to change the date? Do they try to change the date at the NVC? They live here in Chicago, and would like to avoid the expense and inconvenience of having to remove conditions. I told them I thought the only way was to change the appointment date. I would like to know if this is reasonable? Thanks, Mike and Yizhen

Is this a good reason for the appointment change?

Ahh, that now makes more sense.

Nope NVC is part of the State Department, and is not involved with adjustment of status, all DOS does is issues visas like your CR-1 or IR-1 spousal visa.

AOS is handled by Homeland Security, (USCIS). They should have an appointment letter from USCIS (National Benefits Center) telling them where and when to interview, this letter should also have instructions as to how to reschedule an interview if for some reason cannot make the time they are assigned. An info-pass appointment may be needed to answer this one.

As for avoiding a conditional residence green-card, this is not considered to be a reasonable excuse to reschedule, however if perhaps they had already scheduled a trip that has them out of country at the time of interview, this may be considered a reasonable excuse.

Thanks Dan, I was hoping to be able to give them better news. They probably should have waited longer to file. Mike and Yizhen

Yep, can always try, they may simply move the date without a question, then again could run into the problem of the field office failing to note this.