CITIZENSHIP PROCESS

I know there must be a thread on here somewhere with a similar circumstance as it relates to obtaining citizenship but I think I'm to excited to find it. Mei has finally decided that she wants to become a citizen! I have learned that she more than meets the basic requirements for it as we have already been married for over 9 years now. The main item is because she is married to a bona fide, "I was born here" citizen and we've been married this long . The almost 4 years it took to get her back home green card in hand actually works in our favor in this respect. At least that's the way I understand it. What forms do we need, what's the correct sequence for filing same and, any suggestions for studying for her "test"?

Some of the links in the pinned topic are old and no longer work. This one is still good though and has good information.

A Guide to Naturalization

http://www.uscis.gov...ticle/M-476.pdf

In a nut shell if they are still married to the same US citizen they can file 90 days prior to the 3 year anniversary of the original issue date on her green card.

Some of the links in the pinned topic are old and no longer work. This one is still good though and has good information.

A Guide to Naturalization

http://www.uscis.gov...ticle/M-476.pdf

In a nut shell if they are still married to the same US citizen they can file 90 days prior to the 3 year anniversary of the original issue date on her green card.

Make that have a green card (permanent resident) for at least three years (if married to US citizen). Filing too early (i.e., the 90 day window PRIOR to the 3 years) will most likely result in it being rejected (correct me if I'm wrong - I know you've been there, Carl)

http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Office%20of%20Citizenship/Citizenship%20Resource%20Center%20Site/Publications/PDFs/G-1151.pdf

You can file 90 days prior if you are married to the same US citizen for 3 years or have been a continuous resident for 5 years. There are also some residency requirements. I think she has to have been in the US for 18 months.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/n-400instr.pdf

read the section under "when should I use Form N-400"

You can file 90 days prior if you are married to the same US citizen for 3 years or have been a continuous resident for 5 years. There are also some residency requirements. I think she has to have been in the US for 18 months.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/n-400instr.pdf

I don't think the 18 month deal is a problem. Remember, we cleared up the I-601 and she came home in Feb 07'. We've been maried since 10/01. I think the main thing for her is to make sure she can pass the English test part of this procedure. Is there a specific source for some "practice" questions?

http://www.uscis.gov.../n-400instr.pdf

I'm reading AT LEAST 3 years. 90 days prior would be LESS than 3 years.

Now I'm confused again...........lol

Now I'm confused again...........lol

That wouldn't apply to you, since you have been married for MORE than 3 years. Sorry to be picky there, but there are others who may fit within that 90 day window, which, unless I'm mistaken, doesn't apply to a citizenship application.

That wouldn't apply to you, since you have been married for MORE than 3 years. Sorry to be picky there, but there are others who may fit within that 90 day window, which, unless I'm mistaken, doesn't apply to a citizenship application.

The requirement is 3 years of marriage not 3 years of continuous residence with a green card. Again read the section under "when should I use Form N-400. Here is an exact quote from the USCIS website in the instructions for filing the N-400

If you are applying based on five years as a lawful permanent resident or based on three years as a permanent resident married to a US citizen, you may apply for naturalization up to 90 days before you meet the "continuous residence" requirement. You must meet all other requirements at the time that you file your application with the USCIS.

The requirement is 3 years of marriage not 3 years of continuous residence with a green card. Again read the section under "when should I use Form N-400. Here is an exact quote from the USCIS website in the instructions for filing the N-400

If you are applying based on five years as a lawful permanent resident or based on three years as a permanent resident married to a US citizen, you may apply for naturalization up to 90 days before you meet the "continuous residence" requirement. You must meet all other requirements at the time that you file your application with the USCIS.

Now, what about the questions they ask? Is there a practice set out there anywhere?

Yes there is, I don't have time to dig them up right now and the link in the pinned post may be outdated. Go to the USCIS website, There is a lot of information there including sample tests and the civics she needs to learn. The English requirement isn't that difficult. She will be asked to read a simple sentence and asked some civics questions. Read some of the members experiences in this forum.

Okay - I see the "90 days before" now - sorry for the distraction. The three years is a requirement for naturalization, but you may apply up to 90 days beforehand. Thanks.

• 3 months later...

She can find all the questions, answers and a link to a practice test at www.uscis.gov/citizenshiptest

She will have to be able to read, write and speak basic english and the civics part of it is as follows

"Civics Test

There are 100 civics questions on the naturalization test. During your naturalization interview, you will be asked up to 10 questions from the list of 100 questions. You must answer correctly at least six (6) of the 10 questions to pass the civics test.

You have two opportunities to take the English and civics tests per application. If you fail any portion of the test during your first interview, you will be retested on the portion of the test that you failed within 90 days."

Hope that helps

Dave