passport close to expiring

Ling will be going to Chongqing in April for 2 months while there she will need to renew her passport

apparently every body is telling ling that if her passport doesn't have six months left she will have trouble at the airport

she also says that this goes for flying anywhere . I have never heard this before .

anybody ever hear this ?

Not true, my wife traveled home to China last June, passport expired in August.

The 6 months rule has to do with the US consulate placing a visa in the passport, it needs to have at least 6 months validity in it for visa issuance.

thanks now I must convince ling that her Chinese sources are incorrect

Good luck with that. The Chinese expert syndrome is well known here. The only cure is to let the so called experts prove themselves wrong enough times. The trick then is to pretend you never noticed so she doesn't loose face. Worst thing you can do is rub her nose in it.

If you don't live too far from a Chinese consulate it may be worth the piece of mind just to get it renewed here.

My wife was practical, she knew that it was silly to drive all the way to NYC spend big money to park car, and get a room in the Big Apple to renew a passport, whe she could simply get it done in China while home visiting family.

In our case if we had to renew over here it would have been more practical to visit the Consulate in Toronto, but nope ther wont deal with US residents.

If you want my wife to tell your wife about her trip and passport renewal, shoot me a PM.