RFE for evidence of joint sponsor's status

We got an RFE yesterday concerning my wife's AOS and of all things it was for proof that the joint sponsor (my father) is a "United States Citizen, United States National, or Lawful Permanent Resident of the United States."

It says, "Submit evidence of the joint sponsor's status." "For more information, see Form I-864, page 3, 'What Is A Joint Sponsor?' For the most current version of Form I-864 including the instructions, go to "Immigration Forms" at http://www.uscis.gov or call (800) 870-3676."

I re-read this section and it does not state that I must prove that my father is one of the above. I don't understand why they don't know that he is a citizen from the information we submitted. We sent in his past 3 year's Tax Reports (all meeting the income requirements) and properly filled out his own affidavit of support. We have the same last name which I know doesn't mean anything but it seems like something they would assume, and if it's something they don't assume then why not include this information in the requirements to begin with?

It is not specific on what evidence will meet the requirements. But the easiest thing for him to make copies of is his passport. I am wondering which pages (if not ALL?) would be enough. I will also try to get him to copy his birth certificate, but I am tired of asking him for help.

Has this happened to anyone else? Anything I could have done to avoid this? Are they "punishing" me for something they don't like about the fact that I am a full-time law student and my father is the joint sponsor? What evidence should I send that will work without question?

Thanks.

Yeah I just think it's absolutely crazy that the US Department of Homeland Security can't determine from the information already given to them (the information that they asked for in the first place) that my father is a U.S. citizen. It obviously has his SS# on the affidavit, and I would assume they have the ability to type that in their computers and determine his status. While it's possible they typed only his name in and found someone else, he doesn't have that common of the name, and that would be an unusual way to look up status when you have a SS# and tax reports right in front of you. Seems that they just want to delay my case and harass me a bit for whatever reason.

Yes Amaro, I'm sure it is only to show that they can, not caring that it could be seriously affecting someone's life.

And the worst part is that they are hardly specific about what you need to send in and so you are then forced to double-check with other people (such as the very helpful people here.). And then when you do include everything they ask for and everything they SHOULD need they ask for more.

Luckly my wife just had her biometrics appointment last week and we got the RFE right after and I assume that all "work" on the application had stopped anyway until the biometrics were complete. This will still delay it by at least a week for a ridiculous reason.

Good luck with yours...

I just posted about my RFE as well. All they had to do was make a copy of the I-94 and visa entry that I included in the our file. Instead they gave me a RFE to mail them one. Lazy government workers in my opinion.

In your case, we are talking two applications, the package gets separated in chicago ro at NBC and sent two different departments. The I-765 and I-485 are now in separate places.

I just posted about my RFE as well. All they had to do was make a copy of the I-94 and visa entry that I included in the our file. Instead they gave me a RFE to mail them one. Lazy government workers in my opinion.

In your case, we are talking two applications, the package gets separated in chicago ro at NBC and sent two different departments. The I-765 and I-485 are now in separate places.

Well at one point they were together, and I am sure someone screened the paperwork, because I definitely didnt seperate them in a way in which it was obivious what belonged where. Someone had to look at what was in the stack in order to get it sent to the right place.

Well at one point they were together, and I am sure someone screened the paperwork, because I definitely didnt seperate them in a way in which it was obivious what belonged where. Someone had to look at what was in the stack in order to get it sent to the right place.

... which pretty well explains what happened.