Joint Filing Refund Check from the IRS

I think this topics affect many of us who is currently filing I -130 .

This doesn't apply to I-129 F since you guys are not married yet ; you can't file joint return.

I am going to file joint return for my 2010 taxes ( both Federal & State ) with my wife who is still in China ; like many of us here; and will be there for sometimes til she can get the visa to come to the United States.

Of course, as previously discussed on this board, we need to attach in the 1040 form : 1. W7 application for ITIN ( individual tax payer ID #) and notarized copy of her passport ( US consul notarization) and 2. signed joint declaration by me and my wife stating that we both want to be treated as a US resident for this tax year .

The issue is this .

When we get the refund check , it'll have both names . In the US , my bank account only have my name . There is no way she can get her name added into it without being present at the branch . The bank will not allow two named check deposited into a single account .

So, I will be stuck with a refund check that I can't deposit into my account.

any thought on how to solve this problem ???

eFile with direct deposit.

For past 3 years, our joint return has been eFiled and the IRS has never had a problem depositing the funds to my checking account which is not a joint checking account.

I had this same kind of problem at the start of the process. I am with BOA and the officer that I was dealing with first said that it couldn't be done and I kept insisting so he called headquarters in Charlotte, North Carolina and someone there knew what to do. He did whatever they told him and it was accepted. All that I had was an ITIN number and she was in China as well. With everything that you have it should not be a problem.

I would suggest that you do like Charles did go to another BOA and talk to another person, they are not all equal in their knowledge of what to do. If this one does not know what to do I would insist that they call headquarters and find someone that does.

Larry

This doesn't apply to I-129 F since you guys are not married yet ; you can't file joint return.

I am going to file joint return for my 2010 taxes ( both Federal & State ) with my wife who is still in China ; like many of us here; and will be there for sometimes til she can get the visa to come to the United States.

Of course, as previously discussed on this board, we need to attach in the 1040 form : 1. W7 application for ITIN ( individual tax payer ID #) and notarized copy of her passport ( US consul notarization) and 2. signed joint declaration by me and my wife stating that we both want to be treated as a US resident for this tax year .

The issue is this .

When we get the refund check , it'll have both names . In the US , my bank account only have my name . There is no way she can get her name added into it without being present at the branch . The bank will not allow two named check deposited into a single account .

http://www.fms.treas.gov/checkclaims/fms_form_232.pdf

Specific Power of Attorney

BY INDIVIDUAL FOR THE COLLECTION OF A

SPECIFIED CHECK DRAWN ON THE UNITED STATES TREASURY

If the link doesn't work directly, copy the link to the browser.

If you have problem convincing the bank, attached is the treasury form designed specifically for the purpose. Read the instruction carefully. This is the treasury form and instruction so it's very convincing.

I had problem myself and went to many banks and no one will let me do it. Once I showed the form to one bank (Bank of America), they changed their mind and I deposited the check. Of course, my poor wife had to make a trip to

local consulate to have the power attorney notarized.

Believe me, you will have hard time to find a bank willing to accept the check if you don't have the document.

chl2010

Edited by dnoblett
Link fixed. Links work if you post the whole link including the http:// or https:// (see edit history)

I have been married now for 12 years and even when I was living in China back in the late 90s, I always just had them deposit the refund into my US BANK account. You just put the bank routing number and account number you want it deposited to on the bottom of the back page of the 1040 and it automatically gets done. I use snail mail for my tax filing. I didn't have a joint account then and still have not changed that particular account in the last 12 years. I haven't tried efiling yet but probably will this year if it will accept form C information for a business. Then I will know if that way works to.

Gale

The issue is this .

The issue is this .

If you have problem convincing the bank, attached is the treasury form designed specifically for the purpose. Read the instruction carefully. This is the treasury form and instruction so it's very convincing.

I had problem myself and went to many banks and no one will let me do it. Once I showed the form to one bank (Bank of America), they changed their mind and I deposited the check. Of course, my poor wife had to make a trip to

Believe me, you will have hard time to find a bank willing to accept the check if you don't have the document.

chl2010

Thanks so much for this info. I hope moderator will post this note . This is very important.

US consul does power of atty ,etc... with a fee ( $40 , I think ...? ).

Reg. other options ,,,, they are up to their mercy ... No guarantee ... you can spin around and around wasting time; or you may get lucky and done.

I agree it is a pain in the rear .

Going inside US consul is not so pleasant either ; for non US citizen , they get treated like rabbid ( I have to agree with Tsap Tsui ) by the security .

Thanks so much for this info. I hope moderator will post this note . This is very important.

Reg. other options ,,,, they are up to their mercy ... No guarantee ... you can spin around and around wasting time; or you may get lucky and done.

Going inside US consul is not so pleasant either ; for non US citizen , they get treated like rabbid ( I have to agree with Tsap Tsui ) by the security .

Yes - my wife did this while she was in China and we were selling our house. The power of attorney is simply a form that the consulate will notarize for use in the US (the fee is $50). The power of attorney form is usually tailored for a specific purpose, so bring your own.

A Chinese citizen may make an appointment through the consulate's web site to have have form notarized for use in the US. No US citizen is needed. Make the appointment through this web site -

https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs/make_default.asp

You do NOT need to check the box that says "I have read the instructions on the Embassy or Consulate website for the passport services I require. " The appointment may be made at any available time.

My wife did not experience any difficulties.

The issue is this .

chl2010

Yes, this is very important information. I was running around town trying and begging all the banks and hoped one bank would accept this check and no one did. Not even one.

I posted the issue on many internet forums asking for help and no one could help. All of them including so called expert said that you should just keep trying.

I was so desperate and I needed to deposit the check. It's a big amount. So I googled it and found the form. The treasury has the form just for this purpose. I printed it out and brought it to the bank again and showed to the Vice President of the bank who just happened patrolling around the bank. She saw the instruction of the form and changed her mind right away. She told me to have it notarized by my wife and if there were any problem from her employees, I could call her. She then gave me the business card.

I filled the form and sent to my wife to sign. Remember, we need to call the US citizen service of the local consulate to make the appointment for the wife. Tell them that this is for the notarization of the the power attorney needed in US.

Guess what happened next? Very interesting. Her appointment was 2:30 p.m. She was not seen until 5:30 p.m. The consulate treated her like nobody. All other people came after her got seen before her. She ended up with the last one left in the consulate. This is so unfair. She told me that she won't do this again and I

don't blame her.

This is not done yet. More crazy things to follow. Finally, she mailed the check with the notarized power attorney back to me. I took the check to the bank. Guess what, they still wouldn't accept it. I almost screamed. I was talking to the bank manager.

I then called my favourite VP. She told me to come to her branch. She met me in front of the lobby and brought me to the teller without waiting in line to have the check deposited. She then apologized. She asked me the name of the manager that refused the check.

This is what I had been through just to deposit a stupid check.

Again, the document is very important to have your check deposited. Don't talk to the regular employee of any bank. They don't have a clue about what this is about. Talk to at least the manager or even the VP.

I have learned the very hard way that I will have the check deposited directly to my account for my next tax return.

chl2010

For past 3 years, our joint return has been eFiled and the IRS has never had a problem depositing the funds to my checking account which is not a joint checking account.

You don't mind sharing which bank ? Some banks are more annals ,eg. BOA.

I have done this with:

Wachovia - now Wells Fargo

Bank of America

There is NO WAY that they check electronic transfer from the US government to make sure its a joint account if your married.

I would bet my 50 cents all banks will accept electronic tranfer from the IRS.

You don't mind sharing which bank ? Some banks are more annals ,eg. BOA.

I have done this with:

Wachovia - now Wells Fargo

Bank of America

There is NO WAY that they check electronic transfer from the US government to make sure its a joint account if your married.

I would bet my 50 cents all banks will accept electronic tranfer from the IRS.

You are probably right . The only thing is do this on your own risk because if it is lost or rejected for some reasons, one has to deal with chasing the IRS around,etc.... DD is the most risky unless it's been done before. that's why payroll people usually do a test before sending your paycheck there ,eg. by sending $1 into the account.