From 2 year to 10 year Green Card

• 2 months later...

Wow, didn't know it takes that long. Does that mean we can't travel overseas during the whole process? USCIS is always ruining our vacation plans!

NO, when you file the I-751, you will get a receipt letter in the mail that will extend green-card validity for 1 year, you use this letter and expired card when traveling.

There have been reports of people who visit China having a problem with exiting China with the letter and card, so if you plan on travel to China, simply schedule an Info-Pass appointment, bring passport, green-card and extension letter, and request an I-551 stamp in passport, this indicates Green-card status too.

Wow, didn't know it takes that long. Does that mean we can't travel overseas during the whole process? USCIS is always ruining our vacation plans!

NO, when you file the I-751, you will get a receipt letter in the mail that will extend green-card validity for 1 year, you use this letter and expired card when traveling.

There have been reports of people who visit China having a problem with exiting China with the letter and card, so if you plan on travel to China, simply schedule an Info-Pass appointment, bring passport, green-card and extension letter, and request an I-551 stamp in passport, this indicates Green-card status too.

Thanks a lot dnoblett! Great info

I got the I-551 stamp in my passport but was still questioned multiple times while exiting China and reentering the U.S. I was sent to an office for questions when arriving at the JFK airport yesterday. The officer wanted to take my expired green card away and I didn't let him. I told him that I have to return my old green card when I receive my new green card (not that it has to be true, but it did stop him from taking my old card). So make sure they don't take your card away before you get your new green card, cuz then you might not be able to travel again before receiving your new card. I still brought both my old card and the extension letter with me in addition to the passport stamp.