Travel: Japan, Vietnam

My wife and I are planning on doing some traveling to a couple other countries when we visit China later this year.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on hotels to stay at in Japan and also about how much money needed for a 3 day stay.

In China, we'll be staying in Nanning so we were planning on driving down to Vietnam for a few days. Does anybody know if we can get our Vietnam visa at the border or not?

Thanks

There is a Vietnam consulate in Nanning. My wife has been to Vietnam many times but says the visa requirements have changed. She doesn't know the current details but says you can probably get visa at the Vietnam consulate in Nanning.

Have you already arranged visa for Japan... as you'll need one for Chinese doing anything but airport transfers. I'd be curious to hear how that process works. We've considered Japan visit but haven't done so yet. I've been to Japan dozens of times, but mostly on business. All lodging is quite expensive so I'm glad mine was mostly expensed.

I agree, Japan is really expensive right now. With a $1 to 83 yen ratio, our money doesnt go very far. I would say $500 for a 3 day stay in Japan easily. The servings of food are very small in japan, so you will see your self ordering 2 entrees for 1 meal. If you go to tokyo, its best to use the subway and trains. Taxi's are crazy expensive, they charge you 500 yen just to sit in the taxi, and that gets you about 1/4 mile before it starts going up 60 yen every 1/4km or something crazy.

Thanks!

My wife hasn't gotten the visa to Japan yet, but it doesn't look to be too difficult...the standard flight itinerary, yadda yadda, with a copy of her green card.

What I wasn't sure about with the Vietnam consulate in Nanning is if I could apply there. I don't know if it makes a difference because I'm a USC and I need to apply in the USA.

I agree that Japan is very expensive...I remember not too long ago the exchange rate was 1:110. But my wife and I want to take advantage of the opportunity to visit...who knows it may be even more expensive in the future.

Hi, we visited Vietnam about 4 or 5 years ago. I was able to get a visa for Vietnam at the Vietnamese consulate that was almost next to Transcentvry Hotel which is just past Nan Hu Lake on Minzu Dao. I think it took 1-4 days to processes the application. The faster you wanted the more it will cost. We caught a bus at Langdong bus station and it took us to Hanoi. But we had to change busses at the border. They were were building a new crossing station at that time. I don't know if the procedure has changed. It would be nice to know if one still need to switch busses at the crossing station. You can also go by train.

As far as Japan, about 5 years ago I visited there before I went on to Nanning. A friend got me some hotel rooms in Japan. They were always at business man's hotels. Supposing they were some of the best priced hotels. Unfortunately I have forgetten the name of the Hotel chain. I have also dealt with a Japanese travel agency in the USA. Their name is IACE. You should be able to find them on the net. They were helful but not sure about their prices. I bought my railpass thru them. It was much cheaper buying them in USA. I would asked which train lines the rail passes are good for.

I think you will enjoy both Japan and Vietnam. I hope you guys have a great trip.

Danb

PS Are you planning to come back thru China from Japan or Vietanm? If so I would make sure that your Chinese visa is good also ( Multi-entry).

I don't believe the VN consulate in Nanning is open anymore. There is one in GZ http://www.vietnamconsulate-guangzhou.org/en/nr070521170031/

As others have stated Japan is expensive. There are a number of villages with Onsen (hot springs) that are wonderful this time of year. Heres a good place to start. http://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/hotspring.htm

I don't believe the VN consulate in Nanning is open anymore.

Can I ask why you think the consulate in Nanning is closed? Everything I have seen indicates its open. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something important.

Hello again, Here is a link to the Vietamaese consulate in Nanning: http://www.vietnamconsulate-nanning.org/en/nr070627101148/ If you click on the tab labeled "About Consulate" There are a couple of email addresses and phone numbers. Perhaps they can give you some updated info. The site looks very similar to the one that Carl posted.

If you don't mind me asking how many days are you planning to visit in Vietnam and Japan? There are so many things to see in Japan. I am sure that is true in Vietnam also. While it may be expensive in Japan, IMHO the food costs may vary alot. If you go where the locals eat in Japan the prices may not be so bad. Try the noodle houses and there are suppose to be a lot of Chinese and Korean restaurants there also.

Hope you post back on how your travels were. Have a good trip.

Danb

I don't believe the VN consulate in Nanning is open anymore.

Can I ask why you think the consulate in Nanning is closed? Everything I have seen indicates its open. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something important.

Something my wife told me. She's from Nanning. I could be mistaken.

Something my wife told me. She's from Nanning. I could be mistaken.

Cool! My wife is from Nanning too. I'll have to talk to my siser-in-law there and see if she can give me a definitive answer.

@danb: We'll only be in Japan for 4 days...so we're basically going to spend it in Tokyo. We're still investigating what we'd like to do there...and open to suggestions if anyone has any. We'll have to see what the rest of Japan has to offer some other time. We're not sure yet how many days we'll be in Vietnam, but sorta planning between 5-7. We're going to try and see a few areas in the North, at least thats the plan thus far...

It'll be a few months still, but I'll post the fun details when we return.

Thanks for the help everyone!

I was in Japan in 2004 to run in a marathon and to sightsee. I did not go to Tokyo but did start and finish my trip through Narita. There is a really nice temple in Narita that I visited my last day in Japan. I also visited Nikko, which is a really nice park not all that far from Tokyo. There is an okinimiyaki (spelling?) restaurant in Narita that is great. I spent the rest of my time in Miyobiyashi-koen, Nagano (for the marathon) and Kyoto. Kyoto was really a beautiful place to visit. I was in Japan during the cherry blossom season and it is amazing to see how crazy the Japanese are during that time of the year. I stayed in a number of different business hotels, regular hotel and ryokans. The business hotels were generally cheaper.

My wife, step daughter and I are going to Kyoto this March during Spring break. I will be getting a visa for them since they are Chinese. We have to go through the Japanese Consulate in Denver. I will be sending everything in probably next week or the week after and will post what happens. We will be spending six nights in Kyoto. I went ahead and rented a traditional machiya, even though it is a little pricey. We will be near some stores and can cook food so that will defray some cost. Being in a traditional neighborhood should be a little nicer though.

If you are interested in Japanese culture and want to get a glimpse into old Japan the Asakusa district is a must see. Some of the artisans in the area are considered national treasures as there are few people left who know the traditional arts.

http://www.japan-gui...om/e/e3004.html

For shopping and gawking take the train downtown to Shibuya station http://en.wikipedia....Shibuya_Station There is a statue there of a dog named "Hachiko". It's a common place for people to meet. Hachiko is kind of a "Greenbriar Bobbie", a dog that waited everyday for his master at the train station. If you want to see glitz and glimmer visit the Ginza district. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginza

There are many Onsen (hot springs) close to Tokyo. Here is a good place to start. http://www.japan-gui...2292_where.html My ex wife is from Tokyo, I've been there a few times. It's a big busy place. When the cross walk sign turns green a river of people flow across the street. Some of the train stations have people there who's job it is to push people into the train tighter so more people can get on. It's an interesting place. Have a good time.

• 3 weeks later...

I have filled out the short term visa forms for my wife and daughter for our trip to Japan this March. Pretty simple to fill in and they also require one passport photo. I called the Japanese Consulate in Denver (they service NM) this afternoon to check on fees. Cost per visa is $32 by cash or money order. I will be mailing the applications in tomorrow and expect to get the passports with visas back late next week.

will update at that time.

Well, the Japanese Consulate called today and they want a whole bunch more information to process the visas for my wife and daughter. I have to send them proof that I still work, a copy of our marriage certificate and a copy of my daughter's birth certificate. The good thing is that I can send it to them by email.

Forgot to mention in my previous post that I had included the flight itinerary and rental agreement for a machiya with my original submittal.

Hopefully this will not go south on us with having purchased the tickets already.