renewing Chinese passport

Juette

Hello everyone,

It has been a while since I have been on CFL. Some of the oldtimers on here might remember me. Laopo and I are doing very well. She has now been here almost four years and has adjusted very well. Wendy is now working as a certified nurse's aide and is attending a local community college in hopes of becoming a licensed practical nurse.

we just noticed that her Chinese passport expires in May. Do we have to go to a Chinese consulate in person to renew the passport or can it be mailed? I appreciate any information that can be provided on the passport renewal process.

thanks,

Juette & Wendy

Edited by Juette (see edit history)

The new passport will be valid for 10 years.

Chinese Passport Renewal

This link is to the Washington, D.C. Embassy website. Please check your own consulate's (Chinese language) website, as their procedures and requirements may differ. The Houston consulate would not accept these forms, and required 3 passport photos.

Several people have reported that you
can
take a pre-paid mailer envelope to have the passport mailed to you. Others have reported that the consulates tend to find fault with passport photos taken elsewhere,
so
it's best to have them taken at the consulate.

According to the new Passport Act, ordinary passports are valid for up to ten years. For people under sixteen years of age, ordinary passports are valid for up to five years only.

If you are over 12 years and under 65 years of age, you will have to apply for the passport in person at the Chinese Consulate.
(in Chinese)

We just went through this process about a week prior to Christmas. Li had to go to the Consulate in Washington, D.C. and appear in person. She left here on a 5 am flight to Baltimore and took train to DC. Went to Consulate, visited White House and Capitol Hill, train back to Baltimore and flew back, arriving at 11:30 pm. It was one long day!

My wife still has to have her name changed in her passport,we keep procrastinating,it has to be done but its a real pain.We live in florida,and the chinese consulate is in texas.Heres a dumb question,can anyone other than my wife bring it to the consulate,say a friend who lives in Texas?

My wife still has to have her name changed in her passport,we keep procrastinating,it has to be done but its a real pain.We live in florida,and the chinese consulate is in texas.Heres a dumb question,can anyone other than my wife bring it to the consulate,say a friend who lives in Texas?

My wife renewed her passport last summer back in China, still has maiden name, for this we have not bothered.

My wife renewed her passport last summer back in China, still has maiden name, for this we have not bothered.

yeah,but my wifes green card is in my last name(married name ) ,her passport is in her maiden name

yeah,but my wifes green card is in my last name(married name ) ,her passport is in her maiden name

Same here, it has never been a problem not having these things match, passport is for international travel, we book international tickets in passport name. Green-card is for re-entry to the USA after trips abroad, POE has never questioned the name difference.

Same here, it has never been a problem not having these things match, passport is for international travel, we book international tickets in passport name. Green-card is for re-entry to the USA after trips abroad, POE has never questioned the name difference.

Hmmm !!! good to know.....it makes sense

thanks