China Bans English in Chinese Lang. Publications

Oh- found¡¡this on the CCTV News web site

Q: Why can't I find CCTV NEWS (English Channel) on TV? Is it completely replaced by the CCTV9 Documentary (a newly launched channel which speaks Chinese)? How can I get CCTV NEWS back on my TV? ÕÒ²»µ½CCTVÓ¢ÓïƵµÀÁË¡£ÊDz»ÊDZ»Ð¿ª²¥µÄ¼Í¼ƬƵµÀÈ¡´úÁËѽ£¿

A: CCTV NEWS (English Channel) is still free on TV. The local TV company may have confused some channels due to the launch of new channels. A new channel search on your TV set may help you get CCTV NEWS back.

Jiaying said the lady she called told her , "We didn't do it - Beijing did!"

Good. I always enjoyed munchin' on some fish heads and rice and watchin' CCTV-9.

tsap seui

Well, they can start by figuring out what to do about their own English-language acronym (GAPP), and the ICP (Internet Content Provider) notice that is required on every Chinese web site.

In the meantime, I'm still trying to figure out what happened to CCTV-9 - it appears to now be a Chinese-language station. The old English-language channel CCTV-9 was renamed to CCTV News, and now can't be found (so far).

Wow. I am glad I am back in the USA. I can't imagine not having CCTV-9 while I was living there.

Well, they can start by figuring out what to do about their own English-language acronym (GAPP), and the ICP (Internet Content Provider) notice that is required on every Chinese web site.

In the meantime, I'm still trying to figure out what happened to CCTV-9 - it appears to now be a Chinese-language station. The old English-language channel CCTV-9 was renamed to CCTV News, and now can't be found (so far).

Wow. I am glad I am back in the USA. I can't imagine not having CCTV-9 while I was living there.

Oh, it's there, alright! It's just that no one down here (in particular, the Guangxi Radio & TV Network) has found it yet!

There are also other English language channels such as CCTV First Theater, 3 channels that show content from Discovery, BBC, and New Zealand, and DOX TV. Here at the university, we also get CNN and HBO Asia.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Oh, it's there, alright! It's just that no one down here (in particular, the Guangxi Radio & TV Network) has found it yet!

There are also other English language channels such as CCTV First Theater, 3 channels that show content from Discovery, BBC, and New Zealand, and DOX TV. Here at the university, we also get CNN and HBO Asia.

Randy, that is wierd. I am in the states and I have the CCTV-9 and it is still in English. My wife says this is the same channel as in China.

Randy, that is wierd. I am in the states and I have the CCTV-9 and it is still in English. My wife says this is the same channel as in China.

Watch a little more closely - it's not called CCTV 9 any more. It's called CCTV News (since last year some time). CCTV 9 is now a Chinese-language documentary channel that you WON'T see in the states. The foreign feed of CCTV News (to the states) is the same, but the domestic channel line-up change has confused some of the cable operators (including ours) - CCTV News is NOT available on our cable line up - CCTV 9 IS.

The live feed is also still available on the CCTV News web site

Watch a little more closely - it's not called CCTV 9 any more. It's called CCTV News (since last year some time). CCTV 9 is now a Chinese-language documentary channel that you WON'T see in the states. The foreign feed of CCTV News (to the states) is the same, but the domestic channel line-up change has confused some of the cable operators (including ours) - CCTV News is NOT available on our cable line up - CCTV 9 IS.

The live feed is also still available on the CCTV News web site

Ok, I see now. The guide still says it as CCTV9 but the actual program does show CCTV NEWS.