Questions Regarding I-864 Supporting Documents

These questions pertain to a K1/K2 AOS. I have searched the various strings regarding the following questions pertaining to the supporting documents for the I-864 Affidavit of Support and have been unable to find the clear answers.I know that this may seem obvious but I want to make sure that I submit the correct documents in support of this form. The questions are these:

1. I noticed that other have included a birth certificate and copy of the Bio page of the passport with this application.Since this is an Affidavit of Support by the Petitioner, whose birth certificate and passport bio page should be included ... the Petitioner or the Beneficiary? Is this an option or a requirement?

2. Should the Certificates of Divorce for both the Petitioner AND the Beneficiary be included as supporting documents for the I-864?

3. For the I-485 ... do I need to include a 325A for myself as the Petitioner? Do I need to include a copy of my (Petitioner) Divorce Decree again?

As always ...thanks in advance for your assistance!

In the case of Adjustment of status there is no petitioner/beneficiary it is Applicant and sponsor, the K-1/K-2 are applying to adjust their status, The visa holders are "Applicants" US citizen who filed the K-1 petition must act as primary sponsor.

1) Sponsor provides this to show US Citizenship, or if sponsor is a LPR they provide a photo copy of green-card.

2) I-864 is showing monetary sponsorship, it requires financial evidence. (I-485 is an application to adjust status, it needs a photo copy of prior divorce and current marriage.)

3) The I-485 requires only a G-325A from the applicant, NOT from the sponsor.

A good guide can be found here: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

Note: I-864 uses same types of evidence as I-134 used for the K-Visas, (Past years IRS returns or simple transcripts, Recent pay stubs, employer letter), In fact I recycled the stuff used for my Wife's I-134 and added newer pay stubs, and newer IRS return.

In the case of Adjustment of status there is no petitioner/beneficiary it is Applicant and sponsor, the K-1/K-2 are applying to adjust their status, The visa holders are "Applicants" US citizen who filed the K-1 petition must act as primary sponsor.

1) Sponsor provides this to show US Citizenship, or if sponsor is a LPR they provide a photo copy of green-card.

2) I-864 is showing monetary sponsorship, it requires financial evidence. (I-485 is an application to adjust status, it needs a photo copy of prior divorce and current marriage.)

Note: I-864 uses same types of evidence as I-134 used for the K-Visas, (Past years IRS returns or simple transcripts, Recent pay stubs, employer letter), In fact I recycled the stuff used for my Wife's I-134 and added newer pay stubs, and newer IRS return.

Great! Thanks, Dan!! This seemed to be the case but I wanted to make absolutely sure before sending in the forms. I will let you know the outcome.

Edited by screamneagle (see edit history)

Great! Thanks, Dan!! This seemed to be the case but I wanted to make absolutely sure before sending in the forms. I will let you know the outcome.

Dan, I just had another thought concerning the divorce decrees. I've been divorced twice before. Do I include both of my divorce decrees (as for the interview in Guangzhou) or just the most current? Also, should I include a copy of my current wife's certified Chinese divorce decree with translation (white booklet) as well? What's your thought? I won't even try to assume figuring out the USCIS thought process on this. I'll take the advice of a veteran.

I was, in fact, using the VJ Adjustment of Status guide but it seemed to vary from some of the example cover letters I found on both the CFL and VJ sites. That's why I sought clarification on what support documents would actually be most effective in achieving a successful outcome. Thanks again!

Edited by screamneagle (see edit history)

Dan, I just had another thought concerning the divorce decrees. I've been divorced twice before. Do I include both of my divorce decrees (as for the interview in Guangzhou) or just the most current? Also, should I include a copy of my current wife's certified Chinese divorce decree with translation (white booklet) as well? What's your thought? I won't even try to assume figuring out the USCIS thought process on this. I'll take the advice of a veteran.

I was, in fact, using the VJ Adjustment of Status guide but it seemed to vary from some of the example cover letters I found on both the CFL and VJ sites. That's why I sought clarification on what support documents would actually be most effective in achieving a successful outcome. Thanks again!

I had to look at I-485 directions, NO divorce certs needed for AOS, being free to marry was provided for K-1 visa.

Note: Photo copies of things like Marriage cert, and I-94 are needed for filing, keep the originals.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

I had to look at I-485 directions, NO divorce certs needed for AOS, being free to marry was provided for K-1 visa.

Note: Photo copies of things like Marriage cert, and I-94 are needed for filing, keep the originals.

Got it! Thanks again!! I think I'm good to go.