I book air ticket to China with green card name on it

air ticket with my marriage last name ,passport name still keep my maiden last name ,is it ok to check in in SFO airport and HK airport ? my destination is China .

For domestic USA travel ticket, it is fine using green-card name because green-card is fine as travel ID, however for international flights you should book using passport name, because passport is the accepted ID for international travel.

Airline agents can and do prevent a person from boarding an international flight if tickets do not match passport.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

air ticket with my marriage last name ,passport name still keep my maiden last name ,is it ok to check in in SFO airport and HK airport ? my destination is China .

For domestic USA travel ticket, it is fine using green-card name because green-card is fine as travel ID, however for international flights you should book using passport name, because passport is the accepted ID for international travel.

Airline agents can and do prevent a person from boarding an international flight if tickets do not match passport.

thank you for the answer ,airline agent is going to charge me USD 100 for changing my marriage name to maiden name ,what a bummer;;

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

I also get this answer from Visa Journey ,thanks Chien ,I hope you can read this one cuz I don't have you E address

So documents needed for traveling internationally are

- Passport : Maiden Name

- Advance Parole: Married Name

- Marriage certificate (to prove name change): Married Name.

So now when people book airline tickets, they will definitely have mis-matching name either between Airline ticket and Passport (if put Married Name on air-line ticket) or between Airline ticket and Advance Parole (if put Maiden Name on Airline ticket).

- Most of the cases put Maiden name on airline ticket to match the name on Passport which works.

- Some other cases like don't know which name to put on air-line ticket and come up with Married Name to match the name on Advance Parole. Then they'll be worried about check-in at the airport. And I know almost all of them will try to do something like change name on passport or change name on Airline ticket which costs a lot of money. If I had decided to change my name on airline ticket at Travel Agency, it would cost almost $1000. If you don't mind throwing away that money, it's Ok. But I don't want to, so I just checked with the Airline Agency I flew with (I flew with China Airline) so it didn't cost me a penny.

It's true that there is no need to show the AP when exiting US, but if you put Married Name on airline ticket, you need something to show your ID with photo and AP is the only document showing your Married name with Photo. That's why it works for check-in at the airport. If you don't have anything to show your Married Name, I guess you cannot check in then.

I don't know how is the mis-matching name between Airline ticket and Passport of your family member, but for my case, it's understandable. The newly married couple cannot have all documents with new name, so as long as you have enough and proper documents to show your name has been changed, I believe you can travel abroad.

Another thing is to check with the Airline Agency to make sure it works.

I just want to help people, not to make people in trouble. So it applies to the cases similar to mine and flying with China Airline. I was in a big head-ache finding how to change name on passport within 2 days, which is impossible or change name on air-line ticket, which costs me almost $1000. Then I figured it out that I don't need to do anything and don't need to spend a penny so I need to tell to help people of my case.

If you don't mind throwing money away, then go ahead .

Cheers,

- Chien Patterson

Just remember, when booking international, book it all on the passport name.

Your U.S. State ID and Green Card should have your married name so use them for name checks on domestic side.

Bring marriage certificate to show connection to maiden name when travelling on the domestic legs.

If a legal name change occured, keep the name change order with you as well.

I have directed my wife to keep a copy of her marriage certificate and name change order (since she changed first/middle names as well) with her and as far as all things China is concerned, she still uses her maiden name.

just comes up my mind ,SFO to HK are ok I guess, cuz the officer here they recognize my green card and married certificate .

what about HK to China ? do you think HK officer they accept my green card and ID with my maiden name passport

when I transfer from HK to China ??

I don't know HK entry criteria very well. Is a green card alone sufficient? HK is under the visa waiver program? If not, then you can enter as a Chinese citizen with your passport, but the catch is don't you need a special entrance permit for HK as a Chinese citizen?

When you go through Chinese immigration they don't care what you were booked on the flight as. They just look at you against your passport photo and you fill out the arrival card with your passport info.

It's just when you leave the U.S., the TSA requires the airline to verify the person's passport against their ticketed name. However, in the case of people getting married and their U.S. passport has not had the name change process yet, I wonder if the marriage certificate would suffice. You should research this with Dept. of Homeland Security and see what the procedure is with newlyweds and if there is a way around it.

just comes up my mind ,SFO to HK are ok I guess, cuz the officer here they recognize my green card and married certificate .

what about HK to China ? do you think HK officer they accept my green card and ID with my maiden name passport

when I transfer from HK to China ??

I don't know HK entry criteria very well. Is a green card alone sufficient? HK is under the visa waiver program? If not, then you can enter as a Chinese citizen with your passport, but the catch is don't you need a special entrance permit for HK as a Chinese citizen?

When you go through Chinese immigration they don't care what you were booked on the flight as. They just look at you against your passport photo and you fill out the arrival card with your passport info.

It's just when you leave the U.S., the TSA requires the airline to verify the person's passport against their ticketed name. However, in the case of people getting married and their U.S. passport has not had the name change process yet, I wonder if the marriage certificate would suffice. You should research this with Dept. of Homeland Security and see what the procedure is with newlyweds and if there is a way around it.

VWP at HKG only applies to US Citizens not green-card holders.

Only countries that accept I-551 green-card for entry are Canada, Mexico, Most countries in the Caribbean and Switzerland.

actually I transfer directly from HK airport to China ,but I still need to show them my passport and document when I go security

I will have my 1.boarding pass/green card /marriage certificate in my married name 2.my Taiwan passport /Taiwan document in my maiden name ,what a complicated issue ... I should've known book air ticket with my passport name on it and I have booked my flight back to Taiwan and China for more than ten times ,this time I just didn't pay attention while I was booking ...hmmm

actually I transfer directly from HK airport to China ,but I still need to show them my passport and document when I go security

I will have my 1.boarding pass/green card /marriage certificate in my married name 2.my Taiwan passport /Taiwan document in my maiden name ,what a complicated issue ... I should've known book air ticket with my passport name on it and I have booked my flight back to Taiwan and China for more than ten times ,this time I just didn't pay attention while I was booking ...hmmm

:lol:

It happens! My wife got a parking ticket last month at the college, car had my faculty permit on it, but she went and parked in a location she should not have and got a $25 ticket. I made her pay the ticket as a lesson, when paying it, the parking officer asked her if she had a student permit, my wife was not paying attention or something got lost in translation, she ended up having a student permit added to her account at $75. Later I get the bill and asked her about the permit, and told her that these things are NON-REFUNDABLE, oh well $100 shot over a stupid parking violation.