Time to get a new cell phone

The old Motorola razor has been acting up lately. We have a T-Mobile family plan with no current contract. We can get two new smart phones free or buy unlocked phones. We like T-mobile because we can use them in China with a prepaid Chinese Sim Card. I've looked at a lot of phones and I think I've settled on this one.

New Motorola CLIQ w/ Android MOTOBLUR

It has the features I want, Wi Fi, GPS MP-3 player, QWERTY keyboard etc etc etc. I can get the phones free without having to upgrade my plan if I just renew the contract. Will I still be able to access the internet from a free Wi Fi spot if I don't opt for a data plan? Are there any problems with this phone anyone know of? Is there another phone you would recommend? Will this phone work with a SIM card in China?

Thanks in advance.

I used to have At&T for many years, but once i heard about this HTC EVO 4g, I cancelled my service with AT&T and got a contract with sprint. They offer very affordable plans and the service is decent as well.

As far as android goes, I believe in my opinion, HTC + Android make a great couple. Any other manufacture is a meh.

Now as the selection you have there, to answer your questions. Yes it will work in china because it is a Quad Band GSM phone, I believe thats the frequency china uses. China Mobile operates on GSM 900/1800.

Yes you will be able to access the internet on your phone even if you do not have a data plan, as long as the WiFI signal is also connected to the internet. You will need to ask Tmobile to give you the Unlock code as well after you have the phone for a couple of months. They might give it to you right away. Once you unlocked the phone, you can pop in any sim card that you wish, as long as the phone support sim cards.

As far as the phone goes, I wouldnt buy it because it has the old Android 1.5, which sucks. Slow processor and it got a 2 out of 5 stars on Tmobiles website. Ill throw out a couple of phones out there that got excellent reviews. My suggestion, if one of my recommendations will set you back $100, I suggest you do it if you like the phone. You get what you pay for.

T-Mobile® myTouch™ 3G Slide - Black

Motorola DEFY™ with MOTOBLUR™

Those are the only two that I recommend on the cheap side.

I have been liking my Motorola Droid 2, have actually used it often to read and post to candle, you could even do your admin duties from it. The browser is very good and can even open several pages at same time.

Keyboard is very good.

It comes in two flavors, black and R2D2, :lol: The R2D2 includes a charging cradle which I had to buy separately for my black one, black one comes with a USB charging/data cable, and AC-USB plug.

http://www.mobilegazette.com/handsets/motorola/motorola-droid-2/motorola-droid-2-sw-combo.jpg

Both of those phones require a data plan. Something I was hoping to avoid.

ALL smart phones require data plans, it the nature of the beast.

My wife's non smart phone has no data plan, so anytime she accidentally uses some web feature we get a nice extra charge on the bill, a smart phone without a data plan WILL cost you because many of the phones applications make auto connections to the internet in the background so will trip off data charges.

Crap, you're right. I missed that earlier. That would add at least $30.00 a month to the bill. If I buy unlocked phones could I still access the web at a wi fi hotspot without upgrading the plan?

Crap, you're right. I missed that earlier. That would add at least $30.00 a month to the bill. If I buy unlocked phones could I still access the web at a wi fi hotspot without upgrading the plan?

You may be able to lock the phone down to avoid using it's 3G modem to get on the net.

In my case the extra $30 per month is well worth it, being able to use web enable applications anywhere comes in handy, for example the navigation system from Google gives real time traffic data.

I even pay the extra $20 per month for the "mobile hot-spot" feature in the phone allowing my laptop to get on the web from where-ever, handy when you are in a place that offers WIFI if you PAY for it, like a BIONGO wireless location.

on Sprint, for example with the Evo, you'll need to pay an extra 20.00 on top of the normal fee to activate the hot spot feature.

You may be able to lock the phone down to avoid using it's 3G modem to get on the net.

In my case the extra $30 per month is well worth it, being able to use web enable applications anywhere comes in handy, for example the navigation system from Google gives real time traffic data.

I even pay the extra $20 per month for the "mobile hot-spot" feature in the phone allowing my laptop to get on the web from where-ever, handy when you are in a place that offers WIFI if you PAY for it, like a BIONGO wireless location.

I wanted a droid phone with no data plan, so I got the Samsung Galaxy-s phone (on at&t it is named captivate, probably another name on t-mobile).

I read all the forums, but really couldn'r get the 3g to stay off, but finally found an excellent way.

It is linux at the core, so I just added a hosts file entry to route their apn proxy to 127.0.0.1 (the phone itself).

Then anytime it tries to go out over the 3g network, it just goes no-where. For 2 days now I have zero 3g data usage, but it still works fine in wi-fi areas (work and home).

Bad news,

Doesn't matter if I use zero data, AT&T wants to "help" me by forcing me to carry a data plan. It's only 15$ a month, but for zero usage it really bothers me.

I may yet return this phone just because of the data plan requirement.

I called verizon, and they also require a data plan on "smart" phones.

I have not tried t-mobile yet, maybe they will get my business.

Get Sprint. $80 a month for unlimited everything. Can't go wrong with that

Better yet, ask your friends - I'm sure one of them knows someone on the Sprint Employee Advantage plan. Unlimited everything minus hot spot access for 4G phones for 35.00/mo. Maybe one of them can hook you up. We were lucky enough to have something like that happen to us

Get Sprint. $80 a month for unlimited everything. Can't go wrong with that

That's 89.99 per phone. T-Mobile with our current family plan and data service on two phones is $60.00 more a month.