Unmarried young woman on tourist visa ?

My 26 year old unmarried Chinese stepdaughter is a graduate student in England (see related post by me) and wanted to visit us for the holidays. Her tourist Visa was denied due to lack of "strong ties". A suggestions was made that she might return to China and apply (she owns a home and has some modest cash & investments there). Does anyone know of ANY young (under 40 years old) unmarried Chinese woman being approved for a tourist VISA. If so, can you share the circumstances? Or is this just something less common than watching a UFO hovering over a Yet?.

Thanks for any info

True Blue

My 26 year old unmarried Chinese stepdaughter is a graduate student in England (see related post by me) and wanted to visit us for the holidays. Her tourist Visa was denied due to lack of "strong ties". A suggestions was made that she might return to China and apply (she owns a home and has some modest cash & investments there). Does anyone know of ANY young (under 40 years old) unmarried Chinese woman being approved for a tourist VISA. If so, can you share the circumstances? Or is this just something less common than watching a UFO hovering over a Yet?.

Thanks for any info

True Blue

Dear True Blue;

If she wants to make donation to the consulate by wasting money in the application fee and getting 5 min appearance followed by handing over the white slip , please feel free to try it.

Otherwise, it's better for you and your wife to meet her somewhere else .

This topics has been discussed before to exhaustion . Unless someone is very wealthy , no way he/she can get a visa .

Thanks for any info

True Blue

Dear True Blue;

If she wants to make donation to the consulate by wasting money in the application fee and getting 5 min appearance followed by handing over the white slip , please feel free to try it.

Otherwise, it's better for you and your wife to meet her somewhere else .

This topics has been discussed before to exhaustion . Unless someone is very wealthy , no way he/she can get a visa .

I don't think that "wealth" has too much to do with the approval. I tried it, my friend, who finally became my wife - had house, car and business - all totaling in the millions of RMB - and I submitted several pieces of documentation - all to assuage the consulate fears - and it was a slam dunk NO - NO questions ask...almost laughed in her face. We went to Thailand, Kuala Lumpur, Macao, Hong Kong - and if they had dealyed the fiance visa much longer we were headed to Europe et al to ski - and visit based on a shenegan visa for Europe - which they can get a lot easier than the US piece of %&$*()$+$()%*+#! My advice - don't waste the money or go through the frustration.

Edited by 2mike&jin (see edit history)
Does anyone know of ANY young (under 40 years old) unmarried Chinese woman being approved for a tourist VISA
uhh yeah, my wife came to America on a tourist visa before we were engaged. In fact, she has been to America three times on a B-2 visa. This is what I told another CFL member during one of our correspondence "I can only speak for Jingjing and I. My wife had a good job/substantial salary. That in itself was probably enough to alleviate any flight risk issues. In addition to that, I also enrolled with a language school for the fall term, showing that I too would be returning with Jingjing after her visit to the States. Finally, my brother who, at the time, worked for a high ranking US gov official in Washington, was able to get a generous letter written on Jingjing's behalf. All of these things combined helped my wife successfully get her B-2. After the first B-2, following attempts were easy."

When applying for a B-2, one should avoid words like: marriage, fiancee, wedding, engaged, etc. Using the term "girlfriend" is fine.

Does anyone know of ANY young (under 40 years old) unmarried Chinese woman being approved for a tourist VISA
uhh yeah, my wife came to America on a tourist visa before we were engaged. In fact, she has been to America three times on a B-2 visa. This is what I told another CFL member during one of our correspondence "I can only speak for Jingjing and I. My wife had a good job/substantial salary. That in itself was probably enough to alleviate any flight risk issues. In addition to that, I also enrolled with a language school for the fall term, showing that I too would be returning with Jingjing after her visit to the States. Finally, my brother who, at the time, worked for a high ranking US gov official in Washington, was able to get a generous letter written on Jingjing's behalf. All of these things combined helped my wife successfully get her B-2. After the first B-2, following attempts were easy."

When applying for a B-2, one should avoid words like: marriage, fiancee, wedding, engaged, etc. Using the term "girlfriend" is fine.

Thanks. This visa was for my wife's daughter to come to USA to visit us for the holidays, travel and go shopping. Her father and uncles and aunts live in China. She owns a home in China and has a reasonable amount of money in the bank there there. We provided copies of the deed and bank statements to show "strong ties". We also showed that she had a successful record of travel to England for 7 years on a student visa and to other countries on a tourist visa and always complied with the terms of her visas. She is a graduate student in England (we provided a letter from the University showing her enrollment in the doctoral program there) and she has a part time job there. The obvious implication is if she wanted to leave China illegally she had plenty of opportunity to do so in her 7 years as a student in England or part time job there to help with her costs.

She never mentioned anything about marriage, fiancee, wedding, engaged, etc. because she has no fiancee in America. We just wanted her to come to USA and visit us for the holidays. We prepared a travel plan for her to go sightseeing and shopping in the United States.

Based on what I have found out here and on other VISA forums, I would strongly recommend that anyone trying to bring an unmarried female under 40 years of age not waste their time. Bullmastiff hit it right on the head - the USCIS official did the 5 minute interview and didn't even look at her paperwork. It was as he said a complete waste of time and a fee donation to the USCIS.

I am happy it worked out in your wife's (then fiancee's) case. It sounds like the key was "my brother who, at the time, worked for a high ranking US gov official in Washington, was able to get a generous letter written on Jingjing's behalf" which must have been the key to your wife's successful tourist visa. For those of us with no high ranking government connection, I think we might as well be wasting our time and throwing our money away.

The worst part about it is it has left a very bad taste for this country with my wife's family and friends, many of whom thought to come visit us in the United States in future years and will now spend their tourist money in Europe and Asia. I cant blame them. I really can't. I do blame the United States government for writing the regulations to look like "there is a chance" when in actuality the chance is very very small. It is purely a fee grab (the officials didn't even bother to look at the paperwork so they did little to nothing to earn their fees). Better that I and others warn everyone - don't waste your money applying for an unmarried under 40 female from China. The government will not even consider this. I guess what makes us all so mad is why not just say that? Why the charade? The only reason is to collect more fees!

Edited by True Blue (see edit history)

Thanks. This visa was for my wife's daughter to come to USA to visit us for the holidays, travel and go shopping. Her father and uncles and aunts live in China. She owns a home in China and has a reasonable amount of money in the bank there there. We provided copies of the deed and bank statements to show "strong ties". We also showed that she had a successful record of travel to England for 7 years on a student visa and to other countries on a tourist visa and always complied with the terms of her visas. She is a graduate student in England (we provided a letter from the University showing her enrollment in the doctoral program there) and she has a part time job there. The obvious implication is if she wanted to leave China illegally she had plenty of opportunity to do so in her 7 years as a student in England or part time job there to help with her costs.

She never mentioned anything about marriage, fiancee, wedding, engaged, etc. because she has no fiancee in America. We just wanted her to come to USA and visit us for the holidays. We prepared a travel plan for her to go sightseeing and shopping in the United States.

Based on what I have found out here and on other VISA forums, I would strongly recommend that anyone trying to bring an unmarried female under 40 years of age not waste their time. Bullmastiff hit it right on the head - the USCIS official did the 5 minute interview and didn't even look at her paperwork. It was as he said a complete waste of time and a fee donation to the USCIS.

I am happy it worked out in your wife's (then fiancee's) case. It sounds like the key was "my brother who, at the time, worked for a high ranking US gov official in Washington, was able to get a generous letter written on Jingjing's behalf" which must have been the key to your wife's successful tourist visa. For those of us with no high ranking government connection, I think we might as well be wasting our time and throwing our money away.

The worst part about it is it has left a very bad taste for this country with my wife's family and friends, many of whom thought to come visit us in the United States in future years and will now spend their tourist money in Europe and Asia. I cant blame them. I really can't. I do blame the United States government for writing the regulations to look like "there is a chance" when in actuality the chance is very very small. It is purely a fee grab (the officials didn't even bother to look at the paperwork so they did little to nothing to earn their fees). Better that I and others warn everyone - don't waste your money applying for an unmarried under 40 female from China. The government will not even consider this. I guess what makes us all so mad is why not just say that? Why the charade? The only reason is to collect more fees!

Yes, that's true . Unfortunately, our immigration laws are slow in catching up with the " new " reality of this world.

I'm sure change is coming in the near future . When our unemployment number swells to 15-20% and China continues to have more & more money , I'm sure at that time , they may have a new rules . eg. posting bond of $20-40K for tourist visa applicants ,etc... so , if you violate the term & condition of the visa application , the money will belong to the US government. And who cares of illegals ? They are not going to be able to get any benefits in the US. Hospitals will refuse treating anyone who has no insurance or ability to pay.

Japan already relaxes some of the visa requirements because they want the Chinese money.

I am very sorry that she did not get her visa, very, very sorry. I don't blame you for feeling the way that you do nor do I blame her family for feeling the way that they do as well.

I also agree with 2mike&jin that it is not always about the money. I will say this it is my opinion that it is about the guanxi as I have said many times before here about B-2 visas. It is not what you know, how much you own it's about who you know. But then again many here have laughed at me many times about this B-2 thing but it continuously proves out to be just what I have said every time, guanxi is everything in China and anyone that think that it don't extend into the Chinese embassies and consulates are just deluding themselves. Here is another case to prove just that.

Larry

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)

I am very sorry that she did not get her visa, very, very sorry. I don't blame you for feeling the way that you do nor do I blame her family for feeling the way that they do as well.

I also agree with 2mike&jin that it is not always about the money. I will say this it is my opinion that it is about the guanxi as I have said many times before here about B-2 visas. It is not what you know, how much you own it's about who you know. But then again many here have laughed at me many times about this B-2 thing but it continuously proves out to be just what I have said every time, guanxi is everything in China and anyone that think that it don't extend into the Chinese embassies and consulates are just deluding themselves. Here is another case to prove just that.

Larry

A case of USA guanxi, my son was able to get his fiancee here on a B2 so they could get married. My son even discussed this with the USCIS and he was given the go ahead. :o At the time he was a Captain in the USAF (now a Major). When she arrived at the POE (by herself) she was greeted and helped by a US Senator.

Yep, it's who you know.

Sorry True Blue things didn't work out. Just reading your story makes my blood boil at the way the USA does business in these regards. :redmad:

I am 20+, in college, and got a B2 last year. I think I was able to get a B2 because I was on J1 visa before. It was a US government sponsored scholarship. However, I did go through a bit of dramma during the interview. During my B2 interview, I just told the lady (the VO) that I made some friends there and would love to go back and visit. She kept typing and typing. And she asked to see my old passport (the one with the old J1). So I gave it to her. She looked and looked. and said sorry, we cann't issue you a visa. I said, may I ask why? She said, the J1 is subjected to the 2 YEAR RULE. I said, I am well aware of the 2 year rule thing, but I thought it only applies to immigration visa. I kindly asked her to check again. She left the seat and went talk to her supervisor. She came back and gave me the visa. I thought all she asked me was what school I was in. To be honest, I do not recall she asked me any question. It's just me doing the talking.

I am planning to renew my B2. people say it would be easy.Fingers crossed.

Thanks for any info

True Blue

Before we were married, my wife was going to college in Japan.

It would be possible if she applies at the US Embassy/Consulate in England. An unexpired UK permanent residence card would demonstrate she has "strong ties" to return to ENGLAND (not China) to finish her studies, etc.

Thanks for any info

True Blue

Before we were married, my wife was going to college in Japan.

It would be possible if she applies at the US Embassy/Consulate in England. An unexpired UK permanent residence card would demonstrate she has "strong ties" to return to ENGLAND (not China) to finish her studies, etc.

Is your wife , correct ??? and you 're a US citizen, correct ???

In the non immigrant application, there's a question that asks if she has any relative or family member in the US and what is their immigration status ? What 's she going to answer ???

Yes, if she has not married you , it'd have been simple; she has a green card in UK , so she can apply at US embassy in London . It think that would have been easier than the Chinese whose residence is in China or developing countries. But, now, she is married already to a US citizen ??? how 're you going to prove non immigrant intent ???