B2 visa for parents

My SO (permanent resident) and I helping her parents apply for a B2 visa to the States. We need to provide them with supporting documentation, but we're not sure about a few things. I would greatly appreciate help with any of the following questions.

1. We're both students, and are currently extremely tight on funds. Her parents don't exactly make a lot of money either. In our current draft of the letter, I say that they are paying for airfare and travel insurance, and we will provide free lodging in our apartment and pay for food. Does this sound okay? (The actuality is that I am currently looking for work and hope to be gainfully employed full-time by then.)
2. My wife and I got married officially in China in 2006, but didn't actually do a wedding until this past summer, when we held a ceremony in her hometown. Should they take pictures of the wedding, or will that just confuse the issue? We have lots of pictures of us together without needing the wedding to prove anything. Also, my parents didn't go to the wedding this summer, so we don't know if it's bad to use pics from the wedding because of thid.
3. Is it necessary to provide both a letter to the consulate and a fake-sounding letter of invitation to her parents?

The consulate is only concerned with a few things.

#1 Immigrations intent. They need concrete evidence that they do not intend on not returning to China.

#2 Support, how your parents will support themselves while in the USA you provids an I-134 for this.

They can care less about your marriage and photos from that wedding.

Yes a letter of invite is useful it explains why they are visiting the USA.

Much more,

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8469

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42616

They treat all visa applicants as if they have immigrations intent.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/telegrams/telegrams_2173.html

#1 Immigrations intent. They need concrete evidence that they do not intend on not returning to China.

#2 Support, how your parents will support themselves while in the USA you provids an I-134 for this.

Much more,

Thanks so much for the reply. They have plenty to show ties to China, especially lots of real estate. But I am concerned about money. We have next to nothing at the moment (I'm between jobs and a student, and my wife is a grad student paying her own tuition), so I don't know if the I-134 would help. We literally have a couple hundred in the bank right now. Should we still fill out an I-134 just for room and board? As I said, the truth is that I hope to have a good job by then so that they don't have to pay for their insurance and other expenses, but I imagine that this is useless information for the VO, correct? Most of their money is tied up in real estate, so I don't think they have a lot, as far as the VO will be concerned, but I'm not sure.

Much more,

Thanks so much for the reply. They have plenty to show ties to China, especially lots of real estate. But I am concerned about money. We have next to nothing at the moment (I'm between jobs and a student, and my wife is a grad student paying her own tuition), so I don't know if the I-134 would help. We literally have a couple hundred in the bank right now. Should we still fill out an I-134 just for room and board? As I said, the truth is that I hope to have a good job by then so that they don't have to pay for their insurance and other expenses, but I imagine that this is useless information for the VO, correct? Most of their money is tied up in real estate, so I don't think they have a lot, as far as the VO will be concerned, but I'm not sure.

That's exactly what you do with the I-134 you indicate your income level and that you ar providing a place to live. In this case there is no income level requirement, they are not immigrating, the I-134 is a tool showing partial support.

Parents show that they are paying the rest of expenses, airfare, etc...

Much more,

That's exactly what you do with the I-134 you indicate your income level and that you ar providing a place to live. In this case there is no income level requirement, they are not immigrating, the I-134 is a tool showing partial support.

Parents show that they are paying the rest of expenses, airfare, etc...

Thanks, dnoblett. So would you recommend we just leave the income part of the I-134 blank? Or what should we do there? Since currently I have a part-time job but it will end next week and I haven't found a replacement yet, and my wife has no income¡­

Thanks, dnoblett. So would you recommend we just leave the income part of the I-134 blank? Or what should we do there? Since currently I have a part-time job but it will end next week and I haven't found a replacement yet, and my wife has no income¡­

I believe form asks about past income, as for current simply sho what you made so far this year, you made an income so list it, blank line is not a correct answer.

I believe form asks about past income, as for current simply sho what you made so far this year, you made an income so list it, blank line is not a correct answer.

Hmm¡­ The more I think about it, the more I'm worried that an I-134 would actually hurt my parents-in-law's chances. With the form you are supposed to submit proof of employment from your employer, including whether the position is temporary or permanent; you are also supposed to submit bank statements showing money over the past year and how much is in the bank presently. We literally have about $200 in the bank right now, with a bad-looking history over the past year. And my letter from my employer would state that my position terminates on next Wednesday¡ªtwo days after my parents-in-law's visa interview.

My impression is that the I-134 isn't required, so is it possible it would be better not to submit it? Simply say in our letters that we will provide them with a place to stay and food and they will pay the rest, and leave it at that?

From reading past posts it seems like the I-134 is one of the few forms that thye want to see.

I suspect past years IRS returns and copies of recent pay stubs will be fine. Bank records are only used if you are using the balance on account as an asset.

Note you can always have a friend or relative like a US citizen parent provide one.

How did you sponsor your spouse?

From reading past posts it seems like the I-134 is one of the few forms that thye want to see.

I suspect past years IRS returns and copies of recent pay stubs will be fine. Bank records are only used if you are using the balance on account as an asset.

Note you can always have a friend or relative like a US citizen parent provide one.

How did you sponsor your spouse?

I was in China with my spouse, and my mother signed an I-134 for her. But it seems a little strange to me to have my mom, who lives halfway across the country, sign an I-134 for my parents-in-law to visit us in Texas. On their DS-160 forms, they marked down that they were paying for their trips themselves. Perhaps I'll prepare the information but tell them to only provide it if asked for? I would also like to avoid including a letter from my employer since my job ends on Wednesday, but it says so explicitly in the form instructions on USCIS's website, so it seems a bit of a stretch to not include it¡­

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think anyone will ever know, convincingly, that submitting, or not submitting an Affidavit of Support was the deciding factor in the success or failure of a B-2 visitor's interview. I can promise you this- If you do not submit one and the in-laws are denied you will forever regret that decision.

On the other hand, below is an excerpt from an e-mail sent to me by one of the Consulates following my in-laws fourth denial.

"...Regarding the notion of a guarantee, we are not able to consider guarantees from a third party in non-immigrant visa cases. The decision is based on the applicant¡¯s situation.

We hope this was in some measure helpful.

Sincerely,

The Consular Section"

I don't think anyone will ever know, convincingly, that submitting, or not submitting an Affidavit of Support was the deciding factor in the success or failure of a B-2 visitor's interview. I can promise you this- If you do not submit one and the in-laws are denied you will forever regret that decision.

On the other hand, below is an excerpt from an e-mail sent to me by one of the Consulates following my in-laws fourth denial.

"...Regarding the notion of a guarantee, we are not able to consider guarantees from a third party in non-immigrant visa cases. The decision is based on the applicant¡¯s situation.

We hope this was in some measure helpful.

Sincerely,

The Consular Section"

Thanks, yuehan123. I actually should give an update on this, since they've had their interview now. They passed, and without needing to show much of anything at all. Basically, once the visa officer heard how many apartments they own (which is where all their money is), he didn't even look at their bank statements, or our I-130 (which we did decide to submit). They hope to come to visit in a few months!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, yuehan123. I actually should give an update on this, since they've had their interview now. They passed, and without needing to show much of anything at all. Basically, once the visa officer heard how many apartments they own (which is where all their money is), he didn't even look at their bank statements, or our I-130 (which we did decide to submit). They hope to come to visit in a few months!

"...without needing to show much of anything....how many apartment buildings they own...."

Get it yet, everybody? The poor don't stand a chance, the more affluent are welcome to a visitor visa.

"...without needing to show much of anything....how many apartment buildings they own...."

Get it yet, everybody? The poor don't stand a chance, the more affluent are welcome to a visitor visa.

Correct... tangible physical assets = ties

I don't think cash alone though is enough. It's easily moved.

I think having a large amount of money is useful in getting a B-2 visa. When my wife received her B-2 visa, they froze her account (citic bank) during each visit. Her account was unfrozen after she returned to PRC.

I think having a large amount of money is useful in getting a B-2 visa. When my wife received her B-2 visa, they froze her account (citic bank) during each visit. Her account was unfrozen after she returned to PRC.

Did they have the authority to freeze it on their own? or did you offer, sign docs allowing it? Could it only be done at Citic? It would be a nice option for them to hold bail in exchange for a visa.

Edited by Lee VD (see edit history)