Windows 7 Language

Doing a lot of research. Requests from Microsoft for information are next to nil for returned information.

I want to buy a laptop, but they all come with Windows 7 Home Premium.

Languages are not available like they were in XP and Vista, so I've found out.

I've been told the only way to view Chinese is to Have Windows 7 Ultimate with the proper language/s downloaded.

But what I gather is if you go to Windows 7 Ultimate you get language control and not with the others.

I really don't want to see everything on the screen in Chinese except for her programs. I can't help if she has a problem if the programs are in Chinese.

All I want is for my wife to send/receive e-mails and type using KingSoft programs.

Is it necessary to upgrade to Ultimate or can a person use one of the lesser versions with Kingsoft (Home Premium maybe)???

I hate giving money to Microsoft as they are way overcharging for Windows 7 upgrades.

Thanks.

You can read and write Chinese in all major versions of Windows 7: Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate. I have even seen the same features in Windows Starter netbooks sold in the US.

How to: http://www.pinyinjoe.com/windows-7/win7-chinese-intro.htm

Ultimate or Enterprise have the option of a Language pack, this means the entire operating system can be switched to Chinese as in all menus dialog boxes etc, if you want to simply read and write chinese you do not need ultimate or enterprise windows 7.

Doing a lot of research. Requests from Microsoft for information are next to nil for returned information.

I want to buy a laptop, but they all come with Windows 7 Home Premium.

Languages are not available like they were in XP and Vista, so I've found out.

I've been told the only way to view Chinese is to Have Windows 7 Ultimate with the proper language/s downloaded.

But what I gather is if you go to Windows 7 Ultimate you get language control and not with the others.

I really don't want to see everything on the screen in Chinese except for her programs. I can't help if she has a problem if the programs are in Chinese.

All I want is for my wife to send/receive e-mails and type using KingSoft programs.

Is it necessary to upgrade to Ultimate or can a person use one of the lesser versions with Kingsoft (Home Premium maybe)???

I hate giving money to Microsoft as they are way overcharging for Windows 7 upgrades.

Thanks.

What your research found limiting to only Ultimate or Enterprise edition is called "Language Packs". This is so you can completely change your regional settings. The computer desktop, program interface.. essentially everything would be in Chinese.

This is different from what you are looking for which is "Language Support". Chinese language support, as others have mentioned, is available on all versions of Windows 7. This allows you to read Chinese. You can also write Chinese with either the built in IMEs (Input Method Editor) or other IME programs like King Soft. I would recommend King Soft myself as my wife hates the Microsoft version. She uses an IME called "Wubi" which is similar to how a stenographer types. She inputs shorthand and flies through typing emails. It was a method she learned in college. When she doesn't use this one she prefers Kingsoft.

Thanks. Next question: Will Kingsoft 2005 work with Windows 7, or do I need to upgrade to a new version.

Ron

Chances are good it will work Win 7 has much broader backwards compatibility than vista especially 32 bit windows, I have been running 64 bit and most things I throw at it run fine.

The only issue may be with applications that need a region specific version of windows.