Residence Visa for China

BilLing

Getting a China Green-card is NOT as simple as for the USA.

Here is an article on this subject:

http://shanghaiist.com/2010/06/30/interview_how_to_get_a_china_green.php

One requirement is marriage to a Chinese citizen for more than 5 years.

More:

http://www.china.org.cn/english/Life/129332.htm

No. It's similar to an L-visa, except that you go to your wife's PSB. They are the ones who will issue it. It requires marriage to a Chinese citizen. As of June, it can also be issued to other family members.

Of course, you need a visa to get in the country in the first place.

When I got mine last year, it required a Work Permit. Now that has been relaxed to include family members of a Chinese citizen who do not have work permits..

The major difference to a visa is that you do not need to leave the country to renew it. It is renewable once a year, although this may vary. Again, talk to your PSB.

No. It's similar to an L-visa, except that you go to your wife's PSB. They are the ones who will issue it. It requires marriage to a Chinese citizen. As of June, it can also be issued to other family members.

Of course, you need a visa to get in the country in the first place.

When I got mine last year, it required a Work Permit. Now that has been relaxed to include family members of a Chinese citizen who do not have work permits..

The major difference to a visa is that you do not need to leave the country to renew it. It is renewable once a year, although this may vary. Again, talk to your PSB.

It's called a residence permit and not a residence visa. The only residence visa is the "D" visa, but that only allows you entry into China and then once you obtain your green card it is cancelled.

With an "L" (tourist), "Z" (work) or "X" (student) visa, once you enter the country on that visa you go through the formalities to obtain a residence permit which then functions as a visa. The residence permit you obtain on an "L" visa though does not allow you to work.

There is a somewhat new policy that allows those with relatives in China to obtain a residence permit for the purpose of staying with those relatives. You cannot work and the residence permit may be for as long as several years, though in the beginning they usually only give you one year.

After 5 consecutive years one may be eligible for permanent residence in some cases.

Edited by K.M. (see edit history)