Renewing Chinese Passport at Houston Consulate

Has anyone done the Chinese passport renewal at Houston Consulate? Impossible to get any up to date and accurate information regarding what documents are needed and other essential details. I even saw on the Internet that minors are not required to apply in person. Is this true? How many days would we nneed to be in Houston? Would appreciate any feedback regarding this topic.

Many thanks,

Ken

Have you considered adoption? Has son thought of US citizenship?

I believe 16 is not too old for adoption and this would get a US Passport.

Chinese Passport Renewal

This link is to the Washington, D.C. Embassy website. Please check your own consulate's (Chinese language) website, as their procedures and requirements may differ. The Houston consulate would not accept these forms, and required 3 passport photos.

Several people have reported that you
can
take a pre-paid mailer envelope to have the passport mailed to you. Others have reported that the consulates tend to find fault with passport photos taken elsewhere,
so
it's best to have them taken at the consulate.

According to the new Passport Act, ordinary passports are valid for up to ten years. For people under sixteen years of age, ordinary passports are valid for up to five years only.

If you are over 12 years and under 65 years of age, you will have to apply for the passport in person at the Chinese Consulate.
(in Chinese)

Just one visit is enough - they
can
mail it in your pre-paid mailer, I think it was about 30 days later.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Probably going to have to contact an immigration lawyer with experience in Chinese issues.

Ken

Why? Its not that complicated, all that is involved is turning in old passport, a form a couple passport photos, and a fee. They return the old passport and new passport.

Ying renewed her passport at the Houston consualate for our final trip trip to China before she got her USC, You just need fill out the forms, submit the old passport and pay the fee with a money order. We had passport pictures but the girl processing the forms didn't like them so Ying had to get a picture done by their photograhper. We also had to get a prepaid UPS or Fed Ex mailer which they used to send the new passport back to you. It was painless and simple.

Carl, are you saying all can be done in one business day at the consulate? Are all the forms available there? Do we need birth certificates or any other legal documents beside the passport? By chance do you remember the form numbers, so I can access from the internet beforhand?

Thanks for your time!

Ken

You will find this here: http://www.china-emb...0848.htm##Renew

Renewal form: http://www.china-emb...98725406724.pdf ( Reading comprehension of Chinese required )

Photo spec: http://www.china-emb.../zn/t704439.htm

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)
  • 3 months later...

Just wanted to report back on our experience.

My wife, son, and I went to Houston Chinese Consulate yesterday (3-15-11).We were able to renew the Chinese passport for our son.

The Consulate opens at 9am. We arrived at 8:30 and there were about 25 people in line already outside the front door on the street. Fortunately, we were able to get in quickly and complete everything before 11am. Total cost was 60 dollars(55 for passport and 5 service charge for mailing). My advice is to arrive before 9am. The Consulate closes at 3pm and takes lunch from 11:30 am to !pm.

Bring a pre paid US postal mailer envelop. I had a FEDEX mailer and they would not accept it. Had to go to the post office on Richmond Street about 8 blocks away. There were more than a few people buying envelopes and money orders for their applications for the Chinese Consulate.

Inside the Consulate all the business is taken care by 4 individuals who are sitting behind glass windows much like a Chinese bank. Applicants were crowded around these windows and submitting their paper work. I was surprised that it was so unorganized.

There is a nice Chinatown area about 15 minute ride from Consulate. There were lots of restaurants and other stores.

I am very relieved to finally get this taken care of. If anyone is going to Houston and needs info, feel free to email me. Happy to help out.

Ken

Ken