Hell passport

my wife and I were shopping at the asian market tonight when I see some of the fake money that the chinese offer up to their dead relatives.

Lol....1 of the packets had some fake money in it a fake credit card and some fake checks. the fake credit card and a fake checks for both from the bank of Hades.

oh I forgot to mention there was also included a passport to hell.

I guess you buy the set for the relative or really really bad.

Robert, Trust and believe YOU will be buying some of this fake money some day.

This is Chinese Tradition for a family member that has passed away.

Burning of money!!

When a family member or close friend dies,You would burn money.

I have been down this road before with Hongs father passing away last year.

This is no joke and the Chinese take this very seriously.

It may seam as it is just fake money, But in reality the dead will receive this MONEY as a gift of respect and love of the family and love ones.

Trust me the day will come someday you to will travel down this road of a Chinese funeral

burning joss has many facets in ancestor worship, and not just a the funeral, but through out the year, as a tribute (and a fresh offering)---like western fresh flowers on a grave. Get a little out of town, in a scenic, tranquil setting across China, and you will find informal shrines for joss burning. I was surprised to find quite a few on the hillsides of Hong Kong Island.

I would like to know why the "bank of hades" is represented as a "gift". The "bank of heaven" sounds more fitting to me as a westerner. I would really like to know about this if anyone here knows.

Joss paper

Note that according to Chinese belief all who die will automatically enter the underworld of Diyu to be judged before either being sent to heaven, to be punished in the underworld, or to be reincarnated. The word ‘hell’ is not to be compared with the western understanding of the word, but rather as ‘Chinese afterlife in general’, a more neutral platform.

Lately, instead of the word ‘hell’ or ‘Bank of Hades’, one can see banknotes showing the name ‘Bank of Universal’, ‘Bank of Heaven’ or even ‘Bank of Paradise’.

http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/Chinese_Customs/joss_paper.htm

Hope that helps cuzzin Chawls

Edited by whatsthedeal (see edit history)

I would like to know why the "bank of hades" is represented as a "gift". The "bank of heaven" sounds more fitting to me as a westerner. I would really like to know about this if anyone here knows.

Joss paper

Note that according to Chinese belief all who die will automatically enter the underworld of Diyu to be judged before either being sent to heaven, to be punished in the underworld, or to be reincarnated. The word ¡®hell¡¯ is not to be compared with the western understanding of the word, but rather as ¡®Chinese afterlife in general¡¯, a more neutral platform.

Lately, instead of the word ¡®hell¡¯ or ¡®Bank of Hades¡¯, one can see banknotes showing the name ¡®Bank of Universal¡¯, ¡®Bank of Heaven¡¯ or even ¡®Bank of Paradise¡¯.

http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/Chinese_Customs/joss_paper.htm

Hope that helps cuzzin Chawls

Hey man, thanks!!!

Funniest part was the Hell passport.

One of the things you encounter when learning a new culture, always keep an open mind, things ARE different between east and west.