Kindly provide suggestions

rongnjohn

Guys,

My SO will be heading to the US in a few days. Flying from the 18th parallel to the 43rd. Yep, almost winter time here.

Would you kindly contribute some suggestions / ideas that comforted your SO in the transition period? Food / clothing / suggestions of whatever..... What little things did they enjoy the most / or still enjoy?

Seemed like all of the time in the world leading up to the interview, now the rush is on, and the fear of reality that there is NO WAY I can finish everything before she arrives!!!

Thank you for any assistance,

John

Oh yes Don mentioned "Connected"

Locate and connect with the local Chinese community, this helps establish roots here, this has helped my wife tremendously.

Thanks Don, is food a big issue or do they like trying American food at first? Just curious if there is a mandatory "Chinese Comfort" food that needs to be on hand? I know she is a fruit and greens eater, should be simple to have on hand

Thank you for the advice.

John

Be aware "Americanized" Chinese food can also be a problem. But you never know about taking a liking to western food.

My wife is also a fruit/green eater, she dislikes anything with too much salt in it, which pretty much counts ALL western foods.

We've found that the thermal underwear in China is much better than what you'd typically find in the States. My wife brought a pair with her.

We've found that the thermal underwear in China is much better than what you'd typically find in the States. My wife brought a pair with her.

Keep in mind she is coming from the 18th parallel, so may not be able to find thermals there, in your case I would believe they were common in northern China.

Locate and connect with the local Chinese community, this helps establish roots here, this has helped my wife tremendously.

To expand on this, seek out the local Asian food markets, there your girl will quickly find and make new friends here as well as find comfort foods.

I get my wife Chinese style sunflower seeds, Korean style pop corn, and other snacks at the Asian food store.

Threads pinned at top of Stateside forum will help you out. http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showforum=40

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Thank you again for continued suggestions. With Rain and Snow in the forecast looks like the first trip will be to "Cabelas" an outdoor store to set her up with Columbia gear. Jokingly, how do you think "Honey, function over fashion" will go??? No, snow boots do not come with high heels.... Hey, plenty of time for fashion later, that is the engineer thinking in me.

In all honesty, I am looking forward to the first "snowed-in" day with her!

Even though she is not religious, I am hopeful to find a predominantely "Chinese congregation" for friendship association too.

Thank you again for the suggestions.

John

Be mindful of things that she could be allergic to. My wife can't eat steak because it makes her throat swell. Guess it's the hormones the cows are fed. Also be careful of the water and other USA foods.

Oh yes, it is common for Asians to be Lactose-Intolerant (Milk, Cheese, etc..).

My wife is not, however still prefers Soy-milk, we bought a soy-milk machine on e-bay to make custom soy milk.

Funny .. my wife does not really have much to do with the Chinese that have been for a while or the Chinese-Americans. She has connected with other new immigrants that are in her ESL classes and school. They have more in common I think than with someone who is of chinese background but been here for some time. JMTCW ...

I let my wife go at her own pace. She has adjusted well similar to how I adjusted to being in China. She likes it here better than I thought she would.

Very important to say I think is for you to take care of her for awhile. One wouldn't think that had to be said, but I've certainly seen some threads from disgruntled and disillusioned spouses who left everything they knew to come here, arriving disoriented, tired, and scared, only to find they were expected to immediately begin cooking and cleaning for their wonderful American husbands. :ph34r:

Thank you once again all. Yes, I will treat her very, very well. Luckily her English is superb and there is a Mandarin only speaking gal across the street from Fuzhou (been in the US since '93). I made a list of foods that I need to buy, yes will take it easy and allow her to set the pace. Thank you again, John