Road to Tibet.

I just saw some photo's of Tibet. They were very nice. Has any one every visited Tibet? My Lao Po went recently. She went from Nanning to Chengdu/Chongqing by plane. She then took a 45 hours train trip to Tibet. 45 hours :blink: That is a long train trip!! She return to Nanning by plane. I am not sure if it was a direct flight. I will have to ask her tonight. She mentioned that the high altitude was a problem for many of her fellow traveler. It was worst for some and for some less of a problem.

Dannyb

Unless you are truly adventurous the roads to Tibet are ruged, nothing like a super hughway.

http://www.tibettravel.info/get-to-tibet/images/sichuan-tibet-highway.jpg

The 2,413-kilometer-long Sichuan-Tibet Highway starts from Chengdu of Sichuan on the east and ends at Lhasa of Tibet on the west. The construction of the highway began in April 1950, and on December 25,1954, it was open. The road stretches into Lhasa passing Ya¡¯an, Garze, Chamdo. Sichuan-Tibet highway traverses 14 high mountains which average 4,000-5000 meters (Erlang Mtn,Zheduo Mtn and Hengduan Mtn), spans dozens of famous rivers (Daduhe River, Jinshajiang River, Lantsang River, Nujiang River), crosses primeval forest and numerous dangerous sections. It has fine views along the line, with unique customs. You can enjoy the magnificent and changeable scenery ranging from warm spring to cold and snowing winter, which makes you intoxicated. This climate will be changing in front of you, just like being in the paradise, and you may think ¡°days in heaven, but years on the earth¡±. A car trip may cost you 8-10 days.

http://www.tibettravel.info/get-to-tibet/sichuan-tibet-highway.html

The train IS the way to go. More: http://en.wikipedia....ingzang_railway It is super modern.

Didn't they just finish that railway a few years ago?

Yep, completed July 2006, it eliminated having to take your life in your hands trying to drive there. Only other way is by air.

I had a friend of mine go there (he's 67!), its actually fairly easy. You'll need to go to your city's local entry&exit bureau, and ask to go to tibet from the people that handle visa extensions.

They'll ask you why you want to go to tibet- I'm not entirely sure what constitutes a 'good reason' to go, but my friend said he wanted to go to get a lhasa dog. He said they looked at him suspiciously for a second and then "OK!" You'll get a stamped paper that you'll need to carry around. That is your Tibet 'visa'.

However, upon arriving, your only allowed to stay within the city of Lahsa. If you want to further explore, you will need to find whatever kind of PSB they have there and ask to explore outside the city. A train ticket to Lhasa from anywhere is expensive as hell.

Edited by moonandstar99 (see edit history)

Yes, we took the railway from Chengdu to Lhasa, Tibet in 2007 (49 hours). We then flew back to Chengdu. At that time there were no direct flights from Lhasa to Nanning.

The train ride was beautiful. I'd recommend it to anyone. It is not luxurious, but is comfortable. We had a sleeper car with another couple. I was the only foreign devil on the whole train. We took our own food to eat the whole way.

You should try it!

The train IS the way to go. More: http://en.wikipedia....ingzang_railway It is super modern.

The train ride was beautiful. I'd recommend it to anyone. It is not luxurious, but is comfortable. We had a sleeper car with another couple. I was the only foreign devil on the whole train. We took our own food to eat the whole way.

You should try it!

I would like to take a train ride to the Tibetan region someday.

I don't know if it is now easier for big nosed tourists to visit Tibet. I know it used to take special permission and one had to travel in an organized tour group.

Permits are required. US State Department says the easiest way to obtain them is through a local travel agent.

Permits are required. US State Department says the easiest way to obtain them is through a local travel agent.

Every trip to China I involved China Highlights, they are local, and can do trips into Tibet including the train. http://www.chinahighlights.com/

You can get up to the Tibetan plateau through the back door (Zhongdian) by local bus without any security--at least before the Tibetian riots... long and very scary drive on winding roads, ----closest I've ever come to dying on the road in China was coming down on the return trip.

Only time I have had restrictions placed on my travel in China was the 44 hour train trip from Chengdu to Guangzhou----Chinese citizens had to give up their ID cards for a plastic card to be exchanged when we arrived in GZ. Have NO idea what that was about. They wanted my passport, but instead, I gave them my Oregon driver's license...