I-751 Removal of Conditions

I've read some posts on subject before, but can't seem to find them now. We are just about to mail I-751 Removal of Conditions and we are considering name implications.

Situation

Spouse entered on K1 and we married here. For all immigration related items (EAD, advance parole, 2yr GC, etc), my spouse has continued to use only her Chinese name. Also her SSN is in Chinese name only.

For everything else (Driver's license, banking, credit cards, insurance, mortgage, etc) she has taken my married name with her Chinese family name as middle name. She's also had her Chinese passport updated by Chinese consulate to include the "Also known as _________" statement with her married name.

So the question is, what name to use on I-751. If she wishes to have 10yr GC in married name, can we just fill out the paperwork with married name, even though 2yr GC is in Chinese name only?

Frankly, it doesn't matter a big deal to us either way, just wanting to understand our options. Also, would either option cause any kind of complication at this stage?

Thanks

Sounds like you have started getting docs in married name.

This is the time to get green-card in married name, look at part 3 of the I-751 ( 1. Other Names Used (including maiden name) ) this is where you can place maiden name a,d enter married name in part 1 of the form.

Getting name corrected later on the green-card will cost $300+ to file and I-90

Sounds like you have started getting docs in married name.

This is the time to get green-card in married name, look at part 3 of the I-751 ( 1. Other Names Used (including maiden name) ) this is where you can place maiden name a,d enter married name in part 1 of the form.

Getting name corrected later on the green-card will cost $300+ to file and I-90

Thanks for the input Dan. But this does still leave me with one rather subtle question. I understand the receipt for I-751 serves as 1 yr extension of 2yr GC until the 10yr GC arrives. But if we apply I-751 with married name, the receipt will show married name while 2yr GC still shows Chinese name.

If my spouse were to travel to China with 2yr GC, showing expired but with I-751 receipt to extend for 1 yr, will there be trouble that name on receipt and 2yr GC don't exactly match?

It may seem trivial, but as we've experienced trouble with her getting out of China twice before I'm cautious (once when the didn't understand Advance Parole - and who CAN really understand that?... and another when they thought her 2yr GC was already expired because our date nomenclature is different - mm-dd-yyyy instead of their dd-mm-yyyy).

In our case, maybe it's not that complicated because her married name simply places my family name after her full Chinese name, and her Chinese passport shows both.

But... curious to know if anyone has experience with name on receipt not exactly matching name on GC?

Thanks.

I wouldn't recommend traveling to China while the I-751 is still processing. At least one member's wife couldn't board the plane back to the US because the airline didn't recognize the letter as valid. Fortunately for them the new green card had arrived and he only had to send it to her in China.

I wouldn't recommend traveling to China while the I-751 is still processing. At least one member's wife couldn't board the plane back to the US because the airline didn't recognize the letter as valid. Fortunately for them the new green card had arrived and he only had to send it to her in China.

Solution for this is to schedule an info pass appointment to field office before travel, and explain your concerns, more than likely the officer will stamp passport with the I-551 stamp, "Lostinblue" did this. http://candleforlove...ndpost&p=535273 (they requested stamp at time of bio-appointment, however in his and my Yu's case the ASC (Bio) office is same place as our field office (Buffalo, NY), a simple ASC that is not a field office, like Syracuse NY may not do an I-551 stamp.)

No AP required while I-751 is in process, A person is an LPR untill USCIS says otherwise, even with an Expired green-card.

Also name in passport and extension letter not matching is not a problem, in your case you have AKA notation in passport, and the A-Number on extension letter will match that on the green-card. My wife traveled to China last summer and her green-card name does not match passport, and had no issues.

What if you change the name on the green card, but the Chinese passport is still the maid name. WIll that cause problem traveling to China¡¡£á£î£ä¡¡£â£á£ã£ë¡¡£ô£ï¡¡£ô£è£å¡¡£Ó£ô£á£ô£å£ó?

If we don't change the name on I-751, will that cost additional money if I¡¡£ä£å£ã£é£ä£å¡¡£ô£ï¡¡£ã£è£á£î£ç£å¡¡£÷£è£å£î¡¡£É¡¡£ç£å£ô¡¡£î£á£ô£õ£ò£á£ì£é£ú£å£ä£¿

What if you change the name on the green card, but the Chinese passport is still the maid name. WIll that cause problem traveling to China¡¡£á£î£ä¡¡£â£á£ã£ë¡¡£ô£ï¡¡£ô£è£å¡¡£Ó£ô£á£ô£å£ó?

If we don't change the name on I-751, will that cost additional money if I¡¡£ä£å£ã£é£ä£å¡¡£ô£ï¡¡£ã£è£á£î£ç£å¡¡£÷£è£å£î¡¡£É¡¡£ç£å£ô¡¡£î£á£ô£õ£ò£á£ì£é£ú£å£ä£¿

My wife's name on green-card does not match her passport, and has NOT been a problem any time we have traveled internationally.

A few options, Change name after filing I-751 bu filing an I-90 and paying a $300+ Fee or, do it Legally before filing N400 for naturalization, or simply live with maiden name.

If considering it before filing the I-751, the do it with filing I-751.

My wife changed her name when she was naturalized and it didn't cost an additional cost. That was 4 years ago and I don't think the rules have changed since then.

Gale