Driver license written test denied

Hello all,

I live in the suburb of houston. Without a driver license, I am like handicapped. So I read the driver handbook and went to DPS for the written test only to be informed that I am not eligible because I am still literaly a K1 holder. I applied the AOS a month and a half ago but still, apart from the K1 and I94 visa, I don't have other status. The lady at DPS told me that I have to either have a work permit or a greencard to be eligible.

Do I really have to wait that long? For a month and a half, my AOS status is always "acceptance". It's being processed at National Benefit Center. It's a bit wierd to me as I thought my case would be processed at a field office. My work permit and AP are under "initial review" though, but still haven't got the letter for the biometric appointment.

I want to work or drive so bad so I hope my case is going well. I saw so many people got their biometric taken with two months after they filed for the AOS.

Can anyone tell me if I should wait or react or i panic over nothing or something is really wrong??

Thanks

First off, take a valium.

Do you have an EAD card? Do you have a State ID? May not do you any good, since I think Texas requires the green card (read that as CARD) before you can get a driver's license. Won't do you any good to quote any laws or ask them to look on anyone else's computer.

My wife was able to get a Texas State ID within a few weeks of arrival, and use that to get her EAD card and the driver's license on the same day. I told that to someone else who then went traipsing around to the same TDL offices, but was unable to do anything before his wife had the green card. It won't hurt to TRY IF you have an EAD card, but I expect you're going to have to wait for the green card.

I take it back (re-read your post). If she told you that the work permit is acceptable, go there once you have the card in hand.

Driving privileges are granted by the states so the rules vary by state.

All require a SSN, most require evidence of legal presence that is valid for more than a year, EAD card, Green Card I551 stamp satisfies the legal presence issue.

In our case we did not apply for EAD so had to wait for. My wife to get her green card before applying for a DL. And after that it took her over a yeay and 6 road tests to get her DL.

Hello all,

I live in the suburb of houston. Without a driver license, I am like handicapped. So I read the driver handbook and went to DPS for the written test only to be informed that I am not eligible because I am still literaly a K1 holder. I applied the AOS a month and a half ago but still, apart from the K1 and I94 visa, I don't have other status. The lady at DPS told me that I have to either have a work permit or a greencard to be eligible.

Do I really have to wait that long? For a month and a half, my AOS status is always "acceptance". It's being processed at National Benefit Center. It's a bit wierd to me as I thought my case would be processed at a field office. My work permit and AP are under "initial review" though, but still haven't got the letter for the biometric appointment.

I want to work or drive so bad so I hope my case is going well. I saw so many people got their biometric taken with two months after they filed for the AOS.

Can anyone tell me if I should wait or react or i panic over nothing or something is really wrong??

Thanks

It is a drawback of K1 visa.

One thing you can do is buy an electric bicycle, no license required, and it gives you the ability to at least get around.

We also live in texas, though north of you in Austin.

My wife came on a CR/1 visa, but we still had to wait for the social security card before we could get a license, so we bought an electric bicycle as an interim step.

Perhaps that would work for you.

craigslist has them for sale used often.

A friend told me that an ID card will do the trick. I am not sure about it but no harm to try. Does anyone know where I can apply for an ID card??

The state DMV, state ID is issued by the same department that issues Driver's license.

EAD card or Green-Card from the US government is an acceptable ID.

Note: Your passport is considered to be an ID.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Yes, the Texas state ID has the same identification requirements as the TDL, so it is considered proof of ID when getting a driver's license. This is what my wife did - either due to a clerical slip-up, or that the law was more lenient back then.

It can ONLY be acquired from the DL office.

Yes, the Texas state ID has the same identification requirements as the TDL, so it is considered proof of ID when getting a driver's license. This is what my wife did - either due to a clerical slip-up, or that the law was more lenient back then.

It can ONLY be acquired from the DL office.

Perhaps they accepted K-1 (I-94) as sufficient evidence of legal presence. Since then most states have upped the legal presence requirement to something that is valid for 1 year or more.