Young & Restless: China's Graduate Dilemma

The board rules, are you are supposed to comment, not just post link so I will comment for you.

The video is about 1 student looking for work in China after masters degree.

It is difficult to find the job in America, but many people here have no college education.

In China, there are now so many people graduating from college that the number of graduates far exceeds the employee positions.

My wife told me of 4 students with masters degree all living in 1 apartment because even with the masters degree the income was so low, the students could not afford their own apartment.

Life is difficult no matter what country you are in, but with competition from so many graduates, life is very difficult for China's graduates.

there are always openings for KTV girls, really! when i was in KTV 2 years ago, i had a phd hostess, majored in mechanical enginneer. she had a job prior to being a hostess but it was low pay, she decided to give KTV a chance who recommend it to her. she also introduced to me some other hostess who was attending college, master and phd levels.

there are always openings for KTV girls, really! when i was in KTV 2 years ago, i had a phd hostess, majored in mechanical enginneer. she had a job prior to being a hostess but it was low pay, she decided to give KTV a chance who recommend it to her. she also introduced to me some other hostess who was attending college, master and phd levels.

How about that ? It is nice, isn't it ?

Those "er nai " status who used to be peasant girls now are replaced with Ph.D's . Now, those uneducated Chinese bosses can have English speaking highly educated er-nai . Something that we Americans should envy.

Credzba said that:

"Life is difficult no matter what country you are in, but with competition from so many graduates, life is very difficult for China's graduates."

The intent of the video was to show the bleak prospects of the young highly graduating Chinese work force. It is too bad for them. They have worked very hard to get those higher degrees and have made a lot of sacrifices. But perhaps in some ways it is a good thing for China. China has had to deal with this problems for several years. What to do her vast young highly educated work force? I think they have tried to help fund new jobs in the the lesser developed areas of China. Jobs in local government and in teaching. That should help those areas and allow the graduates to develop their working skills. Of course new jobs in PR and marketing in those developing areas may not be so forth coming. An education work force and having a vast pool to pull from can only help China continue her development but sadly at the expenses of the newly highly educated graduates.

Danb

What kind of jobs are availble in those KTV places? As hostesses? What are they going to be marketing there? I don't think that is what Mom and Pop had struggled so hard to bring up their daughter for, IMHO.

I just watched the video. It is interesting. Looking at the girl flipping through a menu of a restaurant in Beijing, you can how expensive restaurant foods can be. They are almost the same price as those in the States, after converted to US dollars. Taxi transportation and rents are not cheap either. For the average starting salaries of 3,500 Yuans for college graduates, monthly budget can get very tight. There seems to be more job opportunities outside the capital city, but a lot of young people still like to stay in the city after they graduate.

I just watched the video. It is interesting. Looking at the girl flipping through a menu of a restaurant in Beijing, you can how expensive restaurant foods can be. They are almost the same price as those in the States, after converted to US dollars. Taxi transportation and rents are not cheap either. For the average starting salaries of 3,500 Yuans for college graduates, monthly budget can get very tight. There seems to be more job opportunities outside the capital city, but a lot of young people still like to stay in the city after they graduate.

This points out to something very clear. China economy , even as big as the #2 GDP size in the world , it 's still mostly low tech industry with not too much need for HIGHLY educated work force . There is a blog at Yahoo that China is still receiving 'Foreign Aids" from European and US . It's still a way to go . If it continues to be stable and progressing well , then, 10 years from now , it'll be a different China . Something that the world must reckon .Will that reach there ? Who knows ? We have critiques on both sides.