To translateor or to not translator.......

Hui has her interview this next month and thinks she needs to bring a translator. What do you think? I feel her english is good but she is worried. I told her if she feels she needs one then we will get one. There is a woman at the church that will come with her for 100.00 fee. I think she would do fine with out one, her english is getting very good.

What are they likly to ask her about at the interview? if it's basic questions maybe she wont need one.

You have to remember that each member will go to a USCIS office in THEIR city... and despite the hope of consistency and policy, if GUZ VOs are any example, you know even stated policy falls into gray very fast.

USCIS has stated that the husband CANNOT translate for the wife. BUT! you will find exceptions at some local offices and then you will not.

DO NOT expect that you can translate and explain for her. Of course for those where it is allowed ,that's great for you.

Get a translator and avoid any misunderstandings. It was common at one time to ask ALL the questions she signed on the I-485. She should understand these questions clearly.

Edited by david_dawei (see edit history)

If the IO at anytime decides that your wife's English is not good enough to understand everything being discussed at the interview they can terminate the interview, make you reschedule and come back with a translator. There is some legalese explained that your wife may not understand even if her English is pretty good. I took a translator to our interview and was glad I did. Chances are if her English is good she won't need one but like David said. There is no consistency.