reentry

My wife will be leaving & going back home to China. Not sure yet how long she will be gone as her family has a variety of issues back in Beijing.

I've read on the USCIS web site that visits less than a year outside of the USA will require no re-entry permit. I suspect her return to China will last a couple months at most but want to be sure from others experience what she can expect before she leaves here. From what I'm reading on the USCIS web site is that a simple show of the green card is all that will be needed for visits shorter than one year. I'm finding this a little hard to believe and have a gut feeling there's a little more to this.

If anyone one has any experiences they'd like to share, it would go a long way in helping give us a peace of mind. We would like to avoid making this look like an Apollo 13 re-entry if at all possible. Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by teeb57 (see edit history)

My wife went home for two months this summer, it was not a problem.

She simply showed the green-card and her passport to the Chinese exit officer in Beijing when leaving China, and presented it and passport to US POE when re-entering the USA.

This is not complicated.

Note a period longer than 6 months will reset the residency time requirement for eventual application for citizenship, and periods longer than 1 year will require a re-entry permit (Filing I-131), or filing for a re-entry visa at the consulate.

Thank you, this is her 1st time to leave the USA & you make it seem as if it's no biggie. That's what we both wanted to hear. Thanks for the post.

In our case we live close to the Canadian boarder and like traveling to China-Towns in Toronto a couple times a year, POE is painless every time.