Guangzhou SARS case

China on Saturday announced its first suspected SARS case since July, saying the patient was hospitalized in the southern province where the virus was believed to have originated. On December 20th the 32 year old man was admitted to Sun Yat Sen Hospital for pnemonia in the right lung and was transfered to an isolation ward.

China said Thursday it has put strict measures in place to prevent the virus from spreading if it reappears.

Throughout next months Chinese New Year holiday- when millions go traveling-officials at the train station in the provincial capitol of Guangzhou will check all passengers temperatures.

China on Saturday announced its first suspected SARS case since July, saying the patient was hospitalized in the southern province where the virus was believed to have originated. On December 20th the 32 year old man was admitted to Sun Yat Sen Hospital for pnemonia in the right lung and was transfered to an isolation ward.

China said Thursday it has put strict measures in place to prevent the virus from spreading if it reappears.

Throughout next months Chinese New Year holiday- when millions go traveling-officials at the train station in the provincial capitol of Guangzhou will check all passengers temperatures.

This was bound to happen. I hope the track record is better this year.

This was bound to happen. I hope the track record is better this year.

Frank,

My concern is what this could do to Guanzhou IV interview schedule if an outbreak does occur.

I share your concern, Frank. But, last year, didn't GZ claim that it was business as usual? If I remember, the consulate was open for business, including interviews, but personnel came to work on a voluntary basis.

I was in Guangdong Province last October but didn't get any closer to Guangzhou than Hong Kong and Shenzhen while flying. Not that much panic, but a lot of masks. Maybe others who were in Guangzhou during the height of the epidemic could shed some light on how it went last year.

I was living in Guangdong during the SARS outbreak last year. Other than folks wearing masks and buying up medicines and white vinegar, it was pretty much business as usual. The Consulate did not cut back on its operations although some non-essential staff were permitted to go back to the States if they chose to do so. In fact, we picked up our visa on March 10, at the zenith of the outbreak. No problems. Our flight out of GZ to LA on March 28 was booked solid but no special precautions were taken. Some folks wore masks, that was about it.